Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 4:57:21 PM EDT
He's an 11C1P with HHC 2/502 101st IN.  I figured I'd let you all see some of what he wrote to get an idea what he's living over there.  it was written 19 Apr

Damn cold sometimes at night, but no snow.  Pleny of sandstorms though.
My NVGs got fixed, poorly, but not replaced.  They stopped working again (not the batteries).
The care package idea is wonderful!  It's weird, up until now all I ever heard about were anti-war/anti-military civilians.  It's nice to see a difference.
Yes, I'm getting enough sleep.  Except when my PSG gets paranoid, but then I just sleep during the day.
Only when we were outside Bagdad did we fire a round.  One HE from 2-Gun.  A few days after we moved into Bagdad, we had a couple of drive-by shootings ... we're in a walled compound ... idiots.  I haven't worn my flak vest unless I was on guard for a while.  9 rounds from one of us was fired at the car, 5 from another.  That is the extend of my contact.  Now that the war is over (officially or not, I don't know) the RoE changed ... Fire if fired upon, not "weapon."  And soon we move NE for peacekeeping in an area not exactly pro US Military in the mountains.  I have been in the viscinity of a few firefights (300m+ past buildings) but haven't been in one.
Scud alerts are unsettling, but only when I woke to explosions overhead did my adrenaline pump.  The only stress is from the stupidity of my superiors.
 If/when you send a package, just remember this:  Paintbrush, Juicyfruit gum, baby wipes, books, + [u]Pogey Bait[/u]! :)
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Sounds like the typical troop - unhappy with some of the command, wanting to see some action, and always willing to take advantage of some pogie bait.
View Quote
that's honestly what I find funny about it.  it's still hard to imagine my brother's a typical joe.

similar thing happened shortly before they deployed to kuwait, too.  he was talking about what he had to bring and what order of priority it got for getting buried in the sand.  when he said that, I actually laughed and he asked me why.  I told him it was because my lil' bro turned into a typical joe!

this part of what I posted got me most, though:
It's weird, up until now all I ever heard about were anti-war/anti-military civilians. It's nice to see a difference.
View Quote
I guess he hadn't heard of any of the pro-military rallies or anything.

I guess the anti-war-but-I-still-support-the-troops people are wrong!  [nana]  the troops don't see it as support, they see it as dissent or underminig or outright anti-military.  [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 8:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
He has our support, no doubt!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top