Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2003 3:57:57 PM EDT
Back in my day, junior Naval officers, O-1 through O-3, Navy and Marine Corps, (A marine officer IS a Naval Officer, by definition) were often addressed as 'Mister'. As in 'Mister Jones'.

Is this still accepted practice today?

It was a charming custom, and I hope it still is the case.
Link Posted: 4/7/2003 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#1]
In the Navy (Navy Officers) its ok, but even though its ok by regulations(sort of kind of) to call a Marine Corps Mr. 01-03. I wouldnt do it, you might get away doing it to a 2nd.Lt once but not twice.

Oh by the way we are only part of the navy until we can walk on water...and thats not far away...lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 4:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
"Mister" is still used with Naval officers not USMC officers. In the Army it is common to refer to warrant officers as "Mister".

I don't know whose definition says a Marine Corps Officer is a "Naval" officer. Certainly not the Marine Corps's definition.
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 5:59:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I don't know whose definition says a Marine Corps Officer is a "Naval" officer. Certainly not the Marine Corps's definition.
View Quote

By definition, you have to have a Navy in order to have a Marine Corps.

The trade school for Marine Officers is Anapolis, the NAVAL academy.

The CMC's boss is the SECNAV.

Although many Marines try deny their affiliation with the Navy, they are considered to be 'in Naval service'.

Most USMC grads of USNA will, in fact, tell you that they ARE Naval officers.

Link Posted: 4/8/2003 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most USMC grads of USNA will, in fact, tell you that they ARE Naval officers.
View Quote

Fortunately, most USMC officers are not Naval Academy graduates.
Link Posted: 4/8/2003 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#5]
As far as the Army goes ALL warants are to be addressed as Mr. or Mrs. Now it the WO1 is kind of a probationary rank, but CW2-CW5 are addressed as Chief. If the warrant's cool a WO1 is addressed as Chief, assholes are addressed as Mr. or Mrs. It's funny to see a CW2 get her panties in a wad because we called her "Mrs. Xxxxx" and Mr. Xxxx as "chief". She'd always say "He's not a chief! I'm a chief! and we'd reply, "Yes Mrs Xxxx"

IN A MIXED SERVICE ENVIRONMENT! Navy guys sometimes understand that we call our warrants chief. USMC warrants are generally dicks and NEVER EVER call one "Chief", saw this once from a distance. NOT ALL USMC WARRANTS ARE "GUNNERS"!

In general CW5's don't give a fuck what anyone thinks...saw one tell a 2 star that whatever they were talking about was "Bullshit" and he "wasn't going to do it"! Gen just shook his head and said "Okay".  FWIW/YMMV
Link Posted: 4/9/2003 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#6]

"Most USMC grads of USNA will, in fact, tell you that they ARE Naval officers."

I have served with a hell of alot of USNA Grads while I was in the Corps and I never met one of them who considered themselfs Naval Officers.
In fact I have heard some of them call Anapolis
The United States Marine Corps Academy...lol
To them its a matter of pride.
As a Retired USMC GySgt. I do not consider Marine Officers as Naval Officers and no other Marine does.
Just a Marines take on it.

Link Posted: 4/10/2003 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#7]
The only time I can recall an O1-3 being refered to as Mr. was when it was working DOWN the chain of command.  

The closest I can personally relate to a cordial greeting of an officer is when there is more than 1, in which case the greeting extends to "Good Day Gentlemen".

Other than that.  I never saw it.
Link Posted: 4/13/2003 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
By definition, you have to have a Navy in order to have a Marine Corps.
View Quote

Wrong.
The United States Marine Corps was founded before the United States Navy.
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Wrong.
View Quote

I don't think so.

13 October  1775 USN
10 November 1775 USMC
Link Posted: 4/14/2003 8:56:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong.
View Quote

I don't think so.

13 October  1775 USN
10 November 1775 USMC
View Quote

After some research (the navy website MUST be flawed) , I still stand by my D.I.s' history that WE were first (after all, our D.I.'s and recuriters NEVER LIED TO ANY OF US!!)!!!
The Navy is ALWAYS WRONG!!![argue]
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Hi everyone.  I'm new here.  According to federal law, the Marine Corps is not part of the Navy.  The Marine Corps and Navy are separate equal branches of our military that both fall under the umbrella of the Department of the Navy.  The Commandant answers to the Secretary of the Navy, a civilian, and not the Chief of Naval Operations.  CNO also answers to the Secretary of the Navy.  Both CMC and CNO are equal members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  I've been out of the Corps since 1984 so I'm not certain, but I believe Anapolis grads still have to graduate from Marine OCS or the Basic School or something like that before they can be Marine Officers.  Any Marine officers on board that can verify this?  I'd ask my brother, a LtCol in the Marines, but he's in Iraq right now.  If I'm right, then they would only be Naval Officers until they graduated from Marine Basic. ;)

By the way, when and why did they come up with CWO5's?    
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 5:23:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hi everyone.  I'm new here.  According to federal law, the Marine Corps is not part of the Navy.  The Marine Corps and Navy are separate equal branches of our military that both fall under the umbrella of the Department of the Navy.  The Commandant answers to the Secretary of the Navy, a civilian, and not the Chief of Naval Operations.  CNO also answers to the Secretary of the Navy.  Both CMC and CNO are equal members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.  I've been out of the Corps since 1984 so I'm not certain, but I believe Anapolis grads still have to graduate from Marine OCS or the Basic School or something like that before they can be Marine Officers.  Any Marine officers on board that can verify this?  I'd ask my brother, a LtCol in the Marines, but he's in Iraq right now.  If I'm right, then they would only be Naval Officers until they graduated from Marine Basic. ;)

By the way, when and why did they come up with CWO5's?    
View Quote

I don't know exactly but CW5's have been around for a few years now. MEarly to Mid 90's? Something like that anyway. FWIW NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE fucks with CW5's. I've seen a 2 star defer to "Sir that's bullshit and I'm not going ot do it"! Gen just shook his head and said "okay". They are the undisputed masters of their realm when they hit that level.
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Just happen to have an older Service Ettiquette (9/75 fifth printing of the 1963 edition) in the handy bookcase.

My comments - Naval Service (which includes the Navy and the Marine Corps, both are part of the Naval Service, saluting in the "Sea" services including the Navy, Marines, Coasties, NOAA (or whaatever it is now) and the Public Health Service is different than the Army, and the Air Force, which seems to forget it is in fact an armed service when it comes to saluting quick hide in doors its Evening Colors) is only done outdoors when covered, or unless in a duty status, which usually means covered and with a duty belt or under arms and that can be indoors.  Army salutes indoors uncovered.  In any case following the lead of the senior officer or enlisted present can not be wrong.  A rendered should always be returned.  Since a salute is a greeting by a warrior it is a gesture of mutual respect.  

Book comments- O4 and down, and Warrant Officers including Midshipmen can be addressed as Mr. in a social or duty situation.  May be introduced by rank and the service indicated to distinguish between Nay Lts and Captains, vice USMC, Army or AF Captains and Lts.   My observations -that had evolved by the 70's and 80s that addressing by rank was not inappropriate.  You are not wrong to ever address a Warrant Officer (any service) as Mister  XXX.  If he wants or prefers something else he'll let you know.  The WO on my ship wnt by Cookie Monster in the Wardroom.

Marine Officers are commissioned as Marine Officers (generally) out of the Naval Academy, Navy ROTC and OCS.  They are by law Marines at that point.  By custom and tradition, most are not considered really Marines until completion of at least the Basic School, BullDog, or Boot Camp.

Its a bit of a semantical point, are they part of the "Navy", ehhh, of the "Naval Service" YES, the Commandant of the Marine Corps like the Chief of  Naval Operations reports to SecNav who works for SecDef.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 3:12:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top