Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/5/2015 12:37:28 PM EDT
Are there civilian jobs that pay over $50k that aren't management related? I'm a E6 in the army who is considering getting out if I can. I have 11 years in but have become weary of all the problems with leadership and planning in units. I want to explore my options in the civilian sector but its scary to be honest. I need something that's going to provide similar pay and health care for me my wife and two kids. It's easy to just stay in but its becoming more and more of a struggle with each passing day to care about what I'm doing or even be motivated.

My only other issue Is that I would like to find a job where I make decent money (at least $50k with a health care plan) and am not in management since that is what is making me want to get out of the army.

Its really crappy to say all of this because up until about six months ago I was still planning on retiring out. I came to this unit totally burned out from recruiting thinking that this would be like me going back to what I used to do before I got pulled for recruiting. I found out very quickly the army had changed a lot in the last four years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Tons of jobs pay well over 50k a year my first year out I made 65k on the railroad as a carman.  Without OT it would be around 52k a year.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Most of the trades. Electrician. Plumber. Hvac. Welders. Mechanic. Pluse you actually get to accomplish things.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have heard the same question from several E-6 persons who were thinking about getting out.  None of them had a skill warranting the pay, however, they were shopping for a pay level, rather than a career.

Perhaps you need to evaluate your skills, and consider taking some specialized classes, or perhaps earn a degree.  

Yes, there are plenty of high paying, non-management jobs.  These jobs aren't given out to desk riding people handling paper pushers, typical of the E-6 stereotypes that have been made apparent in my direct experience.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
www.usajobs.gov

you're welcome.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You mentioned that you want to care about what you are doing, but did not mention trades as others have above.

Do you like cars? Are you still in shape? Good-looking folks can make an absolute killing being salespeople at high-end dealerships. I dated a girl who had a traffic-stopping figure, a great sense of style, and was really good with people, and between her looks and her personality she made around $80k her first year selling high-end cars. She absolutely loved the job, was surrounded by people who were happy to be there as well, and was never pressured by management.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:56:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You should transfer all of your mil schooling to see what credits they will transfer to. You could easily get close to a two year degree with whatever credits a community college will give you. I am also an E6 and I had about 45 credits. Couple those and you could quickly earn a degree for a trade.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Pipeline welders can make about $50 an hour and more, but that is a highly skilled job. Underwater welders make more but most retire after about 10 years. The national average for certified weld inspectors is $90,000 a year. When I applied to the ironworkers I think my pay would have started around $15 an hour and 4 years later been just shy of $30 an hour (I didn't get in).
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most of the trades. Electrician. Plumber. Hvac. Welders. Mechanic. Pluse you actually get to accomplish things.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 11:10:47 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.clearancejobs.com/ and https://www.Militaryhire.com
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#10]
It's not that hard to get a CLD-A with Hazmat endorsement.
You will make more then $50K hauling hazmat, if you don't, then the company you work for sucks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:36:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I inspect aircraft in manufacture. I easily cleared your 50k my first year there, 8 years ago.

kind of need a/c experience
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Fed Ex is looking for truck drivers per my Friend that is in Upper management. Most are home

every night and make $70k to start with.

Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Lol it's easy to make that kind of money these days
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#14]
all  the mechanics and techs that work for me make at  least 100k a year
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#15]
You're over the hump towards your 20
Get into the Guard at some point for 9 more years
Don't throw that pension away, even if you're a little crispy right now

What part of the country do you want to settle in, and what non-military skillsets do you already possess?
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#16]
My wife is a lab tech at an oil refinery

I think she is around 70k per year

Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a Network Engineer and make $90k before bonuses. I have a 4 year degree and 6yrs of experience.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#18]
We pay over 50k for trained field foresters.  Must have degree and ability to become licensed.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 4:58:46 PM EDT
[#19]
HVAC control automation.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:27:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You're over the hump towards your 20
Get into the Guard at some point for 9 more years
Don't throw that pension away, even if you're a little crispy right now

What part of the country do you want to settle in, and what non-military skillsets do you already possess?
View Quote

Well I still want to try to retire from active duty if I can stand it for 9 more years so I will still get some sort of a pension. I really don't possess any skills out side of the army since working on guns is my vocation as well as hobby. While I wouldn't mind to go to the Colorado school of trades when I get out I don't want to be like some of these gun smiths I meet who started for all the right reasons but end up working 14-16 hour days 6-7 days a week to make ends meet after all the overhead.

I am at 72 credit hours toward my bachelors in criminal justice but I really don't want to deal with incompetent leadership when working in a hazardous job while dealing with ass holes after the army for only $15-$18 an hour. I'm wanting to move back to MT when I get out and $15 is the average starting wage in the state for LEO's.

I wouldn't mind doing a trade type job but I really despise electronics and complicated math (like calculus or trig) since I get confused by all the numbers and equations and since I am a visual learner and most everything about computers involves retaining a great deal of technical information about something I find very tedious. Heck it took me a full month to get to where I could build my 4 week plan in recruiting in under two hours.

A dream job for me would be to work for CATM at Malmstrom AFB in MT and do firearms instruction and repair. Heck I wouldn't even mind working on wheeled vehicles. Even though I am not MOSQ as a wheeled vehicle mechanic I can read a TM with the best of them and have an above average ability to figure out mechanical devices.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:53:13 AM EDT
[#21]
M1 Garand Man:
I think someone already mentioned CWI Certified Welding Inspector.  If you have any knowledge of welding you can get started on that.  You can take the test, however, I think it is around $2000 each time you take the test.  If you think management in the military is worse than what you will encounter outside you are dead wrong.  Incompetence, nepotism & an every other back slapping crap goes on out here.  It will make you look to the days of active duty and know that there were minimal skills & leadership positions NCOs & Officers had to meet.  In the outside world, that is not a hard stop as it is in the military.  I say this and I am going to be 50 in less than a year and still don't know what I am going to do when I grow up.  Right now, my goal is to complete twenty years at the place I work now.  I should meet that goal in about three years.  Think long and hard before you leave the service.  Remember the old saying "The base I came from was better than where I am now, and this is the worst unit in the Army."  Things suck, but there are worse things to experience outside of the military.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Civilian job?

LEO.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Go to nursing school.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:49:03 AM EDT
[#24]
The skilled trades can do really well.  There is a shortage of competent commercial electricians, HVAC techs, and plumbers.  I'm a construction PM and while it is considered "management" I mostly deal with architects, business owners, and our own company dept heads.  I have my share of corporate complaints and woes, but I spend 70% of my time in the field.

My recommendation would be to stay in and formulate a plan to succeed when you punch out at 20.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:18:16 AM EDT
[#25]
made around 80k for 6 months work a year commercial diving.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:20:13 AM EDT
[#26]
I won't post exacts, but I have less than four years of industrial pipe fitting / HVAC work under my belt, and will make right around the sweet spot you're looking for, 50/60k W/ benefits + 401k. I'm 25, did 3.5 years in the corps, got out and went to night school on and off for two years to obtain my structural / pipe welding certificates. We work on prevailing wage jobs on Eastern NC military installations, so your rate is determined by what job you do. It's called the Davis-Bacon act. None of the trades are super hard, you just have to be tough and a bit clever.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 3:44:48 AM EDT
[#27]
What's your MOS?  If you're in a somewhat technical branch (ADA or even Atry, for example) consider looking at the big defense contractors - Lockheed, BAE, Northrop-Grumman, Raytheon.  They all hire mil for a wide variety of positions such as techreps or as systems analysts.   You could be back working on the same gear you are now, but being paid better.  One anecdote:  the absollute worst Fire Controlman in my department - who neither the CO would not trust to work on the gear -  left the Navy on a Friday, and showed up as a Raytheon techrep on Monday.  Suddenly (according to the CO), his opinion may as well have come straight from the burning bush.  Go figure.

Two words of warning: 1. The jobs are as stable as their contracts... expect no loyalty to you if a contract isn't renewed - they won't lift a finger to help you or keep you around on overhead for a single hour, no matter how much profit you've earned them in the past.  2. Be very sure about the $.  Just the loss of tax-free BAQ/BAS is really a very significant hit to your wallet, and the grass may not really be greener outside the fence.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:49:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I own a mechanical construction/service company (HVAC, plumbing, etc.). All of my top guys make over $50K. If you are even slightly mechanically inclined, that's a hell of a way to go.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 5:56:04 PM EDT
[#29]
I was going to say law enforcement..

But you said a civilian job...

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/22/2015 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Being a cop wouldn't be so bad but in MT or ID where I plan on going starting wage is $15 and hour and that sucks for the amount of risk you take.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:25:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I cant speak for other places but in my county jail, you top out at 87k without overtime. With OT some CO's make 130-140k a year. Some even made it past 200
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:38:39 PM EDT
[#33]
When I got out I planned to continue to turn wrenches. After looking at what mechanics get paid and the overhead of maintaining a tool kit and certs I decided to get my CDL.
I make around $100k a year and get to do cool stuff like this:

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I cant speak for other places but in my county jail, you top out at 87k without overtime. With OT some CO's make 130-140k a year. Some even made it past 200
View Quote

Yeah for pretty much all of MT starting off LE (and in cascade county where I want to got everyone who wants to work for the sheriff dept has to work in the jail for a few years first) is $42,000 a year salary. The city cops pay hourly at $15 an hour. both work out to be about the same. right now in the army my take home is significantly more than that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yeah for pretty much all of MT starting off LE (and in cascade county where I want to got everyone who wants to work for the sheriff dept has to work in the jail for a few years first) is $42,000 a year salary. The city cops pay hourly at $15 an hour. both work out to be about the same. right now in the army my take home is significantly more than that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't look at the starting pay. What does it top out at
When I started 27 years ago my annual salary was 17K
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:26:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said. Most LE jobs have pay steps. Its a guaranteed pay increase every year or whenever they say the next step kicks off. Some departments have more steps than others but regardless you will make top pay eventually. Most other jobs you will pretty much stay at whatever salary you started at unless you get promotions or they have some sort of raise system. In my department you basically write your own checks.

But yeah idk how it works over by you by CO's where i live have full police authority and go to the academy just like regular police. We run the correctional facility not the Sheriffs. We are also part of the police pension system. They pay us pretty good so i would not rule out LE
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What he said. Most LE jobs have pay steps. Its a guaranteed pay increase every year or whenever they say the next step kicks off. Some departments have more steps than others but regardless you will make top pay eventually. Most other jobs you will pretty much stay at whatever salary you started at unless you get promotions or they have some sort of raise system. In my department you basically write your own checks.

But yeah idk how it works over by you by CO's where i live have full police authority and go to the academy just like regular police. We run the correctional facility not the Sheriffs. We are also part of the police pension system. They pay us pretty good so i would not rule out LE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been able to find out what the pay tops out at. My main concern is loosing my temper dealing with smart asses and then loosing my job. I would be interested in some federal LE jobs but I really want to be in Montana or Idaho near family and friends. I'm done PCS'ing and leaving all my friends and good hunting spots every three to four years.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I haven't been able to find out what the pay tops out at. My main concern is loosing my temper dealing with smart asses and then loosing my job. I would be interested in some federal LE jobs but I really want to be in Montana or Idaho near family and friends. I'm done PCS'ing and leaving all my friends and good hunting spots every three to four years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Losing your temper where? In corrections? LOL thats part of the job my friend.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If its a public sector job you should be able to find the pay scales and maybe even copies of current contracts on-line at whatever personnel department runs that agency
Anger management is a big deal. being able to talk to people is one of your most important tools.
Knowing who the bad guys in your area are is critical.
Working in a jail is good for all three.

Quoted:

Losing your temper where? In corrections? LOL thats part of the job my friend.

You can rage inside all you want; you can't show it to the inmates your bosses.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#40]
I would look for jobs that transfer military retirement.

Teaching is a noble profession IMO and if you have the personality for it can be quite rewarding.  We need more veteran teachers and troop leadership transfers well to classroom leadership.

troops to teachers

Pay is relative to where you live- In Mississippi my pay puts me in a pretty happy place relative to COL.  These jobs are usually stable and have health benefits etc.

Outside of that I would look in to the trades.  I think finishing your bachelor's before you get out would be easier than getting liscensed in a trade.

Not for everyone, but something to think about.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Nuclear security force
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I would look for jobs that transfer military retirement.

Teaching is a noble profession IMO and if you have the personality for it can be quite rewarding.  We need more veteran teachers and troop leadership transfers well to classroom leadership.

troops to teachers

Pay is relative to where you live- In Mississippi my pay puts me in a pretty happy place relative to COL.  These jobs are usually stable and have health benefits etc.

Outside of that I would look in to the trades.  I think finishing your bachelor's before you get out would be easier than getting liscensed in a trade.

Not for everyone, but something to think about.
View Quote

I work for an E7 who is wanting to be a HS history teacher when he gets out and is working on his bachelors right now. He has drill sergeant time which should help him with the skills he will need to incentivize learning for the knuckle head kids he will be teaching. I would probably end up being a shop teacher if I went that route personally.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:53:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nuclear security force
View Quote

Do those guys hire non combat arms types? I saw them all the time in MT dealing with the nukes there.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:31:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Helena Mt, they will train you, ~$40k to start then~53K at GS-10 lvel topping out at ~70k

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/412797800
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:57:51 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Helena Mt, they will train you, ~$40k to start then~53K at GS-10 lvel topping out at ~70k

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/412797800
View Quote

great tip and I love the Helena area. I am even familiar with where Ft Harrison is since I have been there a few times
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#46]
What's your MOS or general area(s) of knowledge, and how much travel are you willing to do?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#47]
You're going to find out very quickly that $50K/yr doesn't come close to what you are making right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top