Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2002 7:55:58 PM EDT
[i]My Dad was a Marine in WWII and saw action on several islands. He passed away in 1997. I have a number of boxes of his found in storage and when I really miss him I'll go through and look at some of the stuff. I found this letter just last week. While my Dad spoke of his experiences I don't think I ever really grasped what he went through. I don't think anyone who has not seen combat can.[/i]

Sgt Homer E Balance 37387466
Inf Co K 1st Platoon

Hello Buddy

It has been some time since I heard from you. Mom writes and tells me you are now in France. Well fellow what do you think of it? If it is anything like what is over here in the Pacific, I know your feeling.

Since last writing, I have again gone into combat. This time hitting Iwo Jima, a small black volcanic island right in the heart of the Japanese Empire. From the first phase until the island was secure, Iwo was a hell on earth. It is almost unbelievable what we ran into. It was a fortress, eight miles, each yard that was taken had to be taken at a great cost. We who have survived did so only because other Marines gave their life. After twenty six days of bloody fighting the island is secure. The nips have been killed almost to the man, few prisoners were taken. There is still a little mopping up to do but that should be over soon. Our job here is about over, soon we should be returning to our home base. I have been lucky on this one.

Well buddy how did you enjoy your trip over? Now that you are there, is it anything like what you thought. From all reports that we receive it looks like things are going right along. I sure would like to spend '46 home. That class reunion you were writing Evelyn about sounds really ok. ( I think we could get the ones that are left together )

Your Best Buddy
Don
p.s. Do a little better than V-mail

Sgt D.A.Thomas
Iwo Jima
Mar 45
1420 Tue

[i]Homer was my dad's best friend from when they were little kids, and grew up together. Constant companions right up until they left for to join the service.

The letter was returned to my dad, unopened, with a hand written note on the from Homer's platoon 1st LT.

Homer was killed in France.[/i]
Link Posted: 10/2/2002 9:09:30 PM EDT
[#1]
OMG - Mar 45, the war in Europe was almost over..

Thanks for sharing.  I know what you mean about not appreciating his experiences.  

My dad was in Vietnam in 1968-69, and while he told me about it in a very general manner, I had no clue what it was all about until I had my own experiences in Iraq and Somalia.
Link Posted: 10/3/2002 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh man.
My Grandfather was on Iwo Jima also.
Joseph Charles Madsion.
Real last name was Mataziski or Mataziskas

I wish I knew him, he dies before I was born in '52

Thanks for Sharing.
I was only in the Cold War in  Germany, I never had to face what others did.

My hat is off to all Combat Vets.

[USA]
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 3:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate your sharing that, Pthfndr.
Link Posted: 10/5/2002 4:24:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Pthfndr.  

And my most heartfelt thanks to your father.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, Pathfinder,

Too much of that shit has gone on through the years.

Freedom is NOT free.

On 9-11, I saw the 2nd plane NYC hit live and went straight to the basement to cry my eyes out because I knew this kind of shit was going to happen again too soon.

Link Posted: 10/19/2002 9:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
What a touching letter...
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Pthfndr,
  Thank you.  I have never had to go to combat (luckily).  I have the greatest respect for those that did.  I am glad that you shared, it couldn't have been easy for you.  
Good luck, thanks again,
Nomad
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Pthfndr, Thanks for sharing,it chocked me up. My dad passed on in 99, we found a letter from his half brother Carl H. Simmson that was KIA in Guam, folded up with a Purple Heart
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top