Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2012 2:07:53 PM EDT
I am doing research for a semester project for ROTC, and I am having trouble finding resources. What I am looking for is psychological studies that professionals have done to further understand and mitigate the effects of survivor's guilt, PTSD, and hyper vigilance.

A point in the right direction would be of great help.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society.- LTC Dave Grossman. He cites a bunch of references he utilized in the authoring of his book, but the book its self, is a really good source. Easy to understand, and a very interesting read for any Service member IMO.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 4:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Wikipedia is a good place to find references, just not usually accepted as a source itself by acedemia.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:21:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you have access through your school to scholarly journal databases like JSTOR, EBSCO, and Sage?

The EBSCO psychology database in particular should have a lot of information on what you're researching.  

ETA:

You can usually find out if your school has access though this website or by calling your school library.

Apparently not through the website.

EBSCO

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 11:47:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society.- LTC Dave Grossman. He cites a bunch of references he utilized in the authoring of his book, but the book its self, is a really good source. Easy to understand, and a very interesting read for any Service member IMO.

Grossman can be a good source for references but I found his book sorely lacking.  It's really just a complilation of existing literature; there is very little if anything original in it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I actually have On Combat, by LTC Grossman as a reference.
Link Posted: 11/22/2012 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Try a search on "Moral Injury".  It's different than PSTD because you can have PTSD after traumatic events where morals aren't an issue.  But it might be something you'd be interested in because the recent studies deal with the affects of war.

Look at the left of the page for links on PTSD and scroll down for other references:
http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/pages/moral_injury_at_war.asp

Research on PTSD to narrow it down a little:
http://www.ptsd.va.gov/professional/pages/fslist-research.asp
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top