Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2012 7:49:40 AM EDT
Ok I have a question and I want honest answers. I am 38yrs old selfemeployed electrical contractor married with 2 kids and Im throwing the idea about the navy reserves. The first question is why. I come from a military family,grandfather was wwi vet and medic, othr grandfather was wwii , koren vet with 22 yrs in navy and father was a navy veitnam vet.   the thing was I started in trades right out of high school, got my lincese and started a family, but deep down inside I feel I never did my part for the counrty and had big shoes to fill. at this point in my life is it worth it, have I missed my window or should I try to do my part in other ways by offering my  trade serves to wounded vets.    thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You have missed your window I am afraid.  Back when the wars started you may have been able to get an age waiver but now we are drawing down.

March on and take care of that family my friend.  No hard feelings
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 12:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask a Navy recruiter about current age limits and go from there, but be prepared to be told you're too old.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 1:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.navyreserve.com/joining/non-prior-service/qualifications.html

Age: The general age requirement for the Navy Reserve is that you must be between the ages of 18 and 39 and be able to have 20 years of total service by age 60.

Better hurry, not much time to make a decision.

Look into the Seabees if you're looking to apply your trade. The USNR Seabees make up the largest part of the Naval Construction Forces (we have a much smaller Active Duty force), Construction Electrician would be the rate to look into. Seabees are involved in small and large construction projects around the world and support all branches of the armed forces (especially the USMC) as well as Humanitarian Operations and other outreach programs involving US and foreign forces.

ETA: My knowledge may be a little old but the USNR Seabees were experiencing a high attrition rate due to OPTEMPO and the average age of the force when I retired in '08.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]
If you aren't able to qualify to serve (due to age restrictions), then I say seek other venues for supporting the Armed Forces: perhaps you might ply your trade with one of the Veteran's organizations in your community, maybe a Habitat for Humanity project which is for the benefit for an elderly and/or disabled vet.  Check with community church, or even the nearest military installation if any such projects are scheduled - or maybe you might volunteer to oversee such work.

In the end, any assistance to our country's vets is appreciated.

Best wishes to you, and I hope that your spirit of giving/serving finds root!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top