Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2011 6:55:27 PM EDT
I have 2 friends who tell me 2 different things regarding time in DEP these days.  One says his job may have a bonus since it's undermanned and shouldn't take more than 6 months to get in, he's in Airfield Maintenance fwiw.  The other is in Public Health.  He says it takes a year to get in, and his job field is undermanned as well.  

This makes me believe any career field is 'undermanned', but I figured I'd ask here.  

Now, I can't find out for myself just yet as I am still running and trying to shed pounds to get there.  I gave up on the military and focused on school for quite a while, but dammit,  I can't pay for it anymore it seems :/  I have been working for the most part, but I only get 20 hours a week on a good week at $8/hour, so I think it's time for a change
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The wait times associated for any job are based on filling seats for the Technical Training you will be attending. Depending on what you do, there will be several different classes that you have to go to in several different locations. This has to be coordinated so that they can maximize how many people go at the same time in order to save money and provide for full classes.

If there is a specific job you want, you may have to wait for a little while (and I suggest doing this if you are really passionate about a specific job, no matter how long you have to wait). If you just want anything, you could leave within a month for whatever is available.

ETA: Not all jobs are critically manned, and not all jobs have enlistment bonuses. Your recruiter will be able to tell you what specific jobs have an enlistment bonus and/or re-enlistment bonus.

Hope that answers what you were asking.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:45:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Enlisted 5yrs ago but I don't believe either of those jobs are critically undermanned.  The AF publishes a list, let me do some digging for you and see what I can find.

FWIW, undermanned career fields will not likely have 6-12month waiting periods.

Here's a list from '08 http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123103709

It's a little dated, but it hasn't changed much.  I think there's fewer career fields on the list now.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Enlisted 5yrs ago but I don't believe either of those jobs are critically undermanned.  The AF publishes a list, let me do some digging for you and see what I can find.

FWIW, undermanned career fields will not likely have 6-12month waiting periods.

Here's a list from '08 http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123103709

It's a little dated, but it hasn't changed much.  I think there's fewer career fields on the list now.

I thought SERE would be cool due to my interests, but I have no idea what all it entails.  Thanks for the list
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 3:58:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been in 4 1/2 years now, and from wht I have heard the AF is VERY slective with who they let in now because of the downsizing. Some career fields are undermanned but I dont knoe of a lot that give you a signing bonus as a first term airman(you). I know most jobs give you a bonus when you are eligible to re-enlist after your 4-6 year enlistment.

My word of advice is wait for a job you want, and keep on your recruiter because they are mostly lazy liars.

and if you have to listen to one thing I say, PLEASE ENLIST FOR 4 YEARS!!!! DO NOT DO 6!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top