Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2011 6:39:34 PM EDT
Hey everyone,

I'm Army (FL ARNG) and when I went to basic (and still the same if I need new uniforms) my uniforms are supplied to me. I don't pay for it. Officers on the other hand have to buy their own uniforms. combat and dress uniforms...

now my brother in law signed up for Marines (Reserves) and his recruiters told him that he will have to buy his uniform and they aren't supplied.

I called BS but that's what his SSG recruiter said...

Apparently they also told him he won't get BAH or anything like separation pay. (He is married with a kid) I called BS on that too. I got BAH (Type 1) and separation pay as well.

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#1]
My brother had to buy some new uniforms because one of the bases he was training at had new higher ups coming and he was told his were too worn out for inspection. I want to say they gave him the first sets, he has to pay to replace them when they fail but I could be wrong. If no one answers I'll find out friday when I catch up with him.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't speak as to what the Marine Corps does, but the Army issues everyone 4 sets of ACUs, 2 pairr of boots, full set of As with shoes, and various other clothing items as part of initial entry and training. Officer and Enlisted. The only thing you buy during Basic that you will wear is running shoes and white socks. They even issue underwear (or at least did when I went through in Aug 00).

Enlisted receive an annual uniform replacement allowance. Officers pay entirely out of pocket for their uniforms after that initial issue.

Note that the above pertains to normal wear and tear only. After deployments everyone gets to DX a few sets of ACUs for brand new.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 8:35:20 PM EDT
[#3]
In Boot camp, cammies are issued to you on the first day of boot camp. I think you get 3 pairs of deserts and 2 pairs of woodland, along with 1 pair of ICB's and 1 pair of jungle boots. Dress and service uniforms are issued and fitted/tailored later on in boot camp. You also get issued a ton of shit as well.

But here is the thing, you get issued those things BUT it DOES come out of your pay, you just dont know about it or deal with it. Uniform items like buckles and all the bells and whistles you buy but those are cheap.

After all that, when you get to the fleet or reserves, you most likely buy your own extra shit or they sometimes hand out a form to fill out for gear and uniform items you need and they will issue to it......but yeah ive filled those out plently and havnt gotten shit so dont count on those
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Boot camp, cammies are issued to you on the first day of boot camp. I think you get 3 pairs of deserts and 2 pairs of woodland, along with 1 pair of ICB's and 1 pair of jungle boots. Dress and service uniforms are issued and fitted/tailored later on in boot camp. You also get issued a ton of shit as well.

But here is the thing, you get issued those things BUT it DOES come out of your pay, you just dont know about it or deal with it. Uniform items like buckles and all the bells and whistles you buy but those are cheap.

After all that, when you get to the fleet or reserves, you most likely buy your own extra shit or they sometimes hand out a form to fill out for gear and uniform items you need and they will issue to it......but yeah ive filled those out plently and havnt gotten shit so dont count on those

It's still the same in the Marines (or at least when I was on the yellow footprints 5 years ago). The only addition I have to ZEROTHOMAS' statement is that each year in the service you receive a clothing allowance. It's maybe $300 and it's mostly to cover alterations to your service uniforms. (at least according to MCO P1020.34G changes 1 thru 5)
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:46:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

If you look at your LES from boot, you will see a credit of approx 1600 dollars to buy uniforms.  That is your initial uniform allowance, that is deducted to pay for your initial issue.  So in effect for legal reasons your are given the money, but it is then subtracted to pay for what is was given to you for.

For Enlisted reservist you can survey your gear, true you may have to wait a few months for items that are sized (boots normally took months) but you can get any issue item to include chevrons for no cost if you are willing to wait on them.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I still have my first couple LES's from when I was at PISC in 1992, and the amount they took out for boots and uniforms (leather cadillacs, green/black jungle boots, and four pairs of woodlands) is on there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Apparently they also told him he won't get BAH or anything like separation pay. (He is married with a kid) I called BS on that too. I got BAH (Type 1) and separation pay as well.

I call BS on this 1.  Regardless of your status, once you enter active duty for training, you should receive the BAH if you qualify, and in this case, the person mentioned does, i.e. he has dependents.  Unless the USMC considers themselves that stupid to tell a recruit that he won't receive this tax free benefit, but another branch down the hall will, I'd call their bluff on it and ask them to show me where it says I wouldn't receive it.  Look at the pay charts under BAH and it shows with and without dependents.  In my opinion, typical USMC crap...not downing them any, as my BIL and grandfather both were Marines, g-father was in WW1 with the 6th Regiment, was awarded 2 Silver Stars for actions at Belleau Wood and another follow on engagement.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I call BS on this 1.  Regardless of your status, once you enter active duty for training, you should receive the BAH if you qualify, and in this case, the person mentioned does, i.e. he has dependents.  Unless the USMC considers themselves that stupid to tell a recruit that he won't receive this tax free benefit, but another branch down the hall will, I'd call their bluff on it and ask them to show me where it says I wouldn't receive it.  Look at the pay charts under BAH and it shows with and without dependents.  In my opinion, typical USMC crap...not downing them any, as my BIL and grandfather both were Marines, g-father was in WW1 with the 6th Regiment, was awarded 2 Silver Stars for actions at Belleau Wood and another follow on engagement.

Yeah he'll get both of those. That's laid out in the DOD FMR 7A (FSA) and JFTR (BAH). Those are both joint regs that apply to all services and its very clear on both.

Recruiters aren't the experts on pay (unless their a finance MOS). The folks at initial entry processing will square it away for him.

Link Posted: 10/1/2011 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you look at your LES from boot, you will see a credit of approx 1600 dollars to buy uniforms.  That is your initial uniform allowance, that is deducted to pay for your initial issue.  So in effect for legal reasons your are given the money, but it is then subtracted to pay for what is was given to you for.

For Enlisted reservist you can survey your gear, true you may have to wait a few months for items that are sized (boots normally took months) but you can get any issue item to include chevrons for no cost if you are willing to wait on them.

This plus what Bing mentioned about a annual uniform allowance (I think it goes every year in December).  I don't know what they are issuing exactly right now, but it should be similar to what is above.  The key is to wait and let them issue you stuff.  For example, if you get deployed to the desert, they will issue you more desert stuff.  

Bottom line though...as a Marine, you are expected to keep up with your shit and therefore may have to purchase uniforms and accessories as needed.  but it tends to average out around 300 dollars a year.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:48:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In 1981 when I enlisted in the Navy your first set of uniforms were "given" to you and the money was "taken" out of your first checks while you were in bootcamp.

You do receive an annual uniform allowance to cover the replacements.

it was still the same in 2001.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top