Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2011 9:12:25 PM EDT
So my best friend is graduating from OCS the end of OCT.  What sort of gift should I get him?  He is a Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate (NUPOC), and going to be on subs when finished his extensive training.  

Was thinking an M9 with and engraving on the slide...  " His Name USN".

Maybe his sword?

Thoughts?   Anything in that price range would do.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2011 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig 226
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#2]
The sword is always a good choice and, depending on source, can be significantly cheaper than the pistol.  But the pistol is also a great idea.  Keep in mind that the young Ensign will not be able to carry it in most instances, but off duty it may come in handy.  The nice thing about the M9 is that, until Uncle Sugar finally finds a better gun, there is commonality with the issue sidearm.  As a nuke, he won't have much contact with sidearms, but it is a lovely gesture.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The nice thing about the M9 is that, until Uncle Sugar finally finds a better gun, there is commonality with the issue sidearm.

They had a better gun when they picked that thing.

Get him a T shirt that reads USMC

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The sword is always a good choice and, depending on source, can be significantly cheaper than the pistol.  But the pistol is also a great idea.  Keep in mind that the young Ensign will not be able to carry it in most instances, but off duty it may come in handy.  The nice thing about the M9 is that, until Uncle Sugar finally finds a better gun, there is commonality with the issue sidearm.  As a nuke, he won't have much contact with sidearms, but it is a lovely gesture.

Last I heard, one of the enlisted reactor watch standers is armed with a M9. Not sure about the O's.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I never saw a gun in the engine room, and I was on the boat during and after 9/11.

<––- enlisted nuke

personally, I would wait until he earns his submarine dolphins and get him a nice 1911 with the submarine warfare dolphins engraved on the slide.
Link Posted: 9/25/2011 8:30:34 AM EDT
[#6]
as nice as it would be to get him a pistol, the military is a difficult place to be as a gun owner- he probably would not have much contact with his gun- having to put it in a secure arms room on base -quite a bit easier if he lives off base,etc.
Everyone needs a good folding knife for everyday use so I'd suggest a good solid folding knife like a benchmade.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I never saw a gun in the engine room, and I was on the boat during and after 9/11.

<––- enlisted nuke

personally, I would wait until he earns his submarine dolphins and get him a nice 1911 with the submarine warfare dolphins engraved on the slide.

I'll second that one, make sure it's nickle plated, engrave the Dolphins on it, and get a display case for it with engraved plaque on the front.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#8]
To fancy for an ensign.  More appropriate, a silver dollar in a shadow box to replace the dollar he paid to the person who gave him his first salute.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
To fancy for an ensign.  More appropriate, a silver dollar in a shadow box to replace the dollar he paid to the person who gave him his first salute.

He's a nuke right, buy him some magic the gathering cards or some Star Trek stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top