Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2011 4:31:30 PM EDT
I just found this out, so I figured I would pass it along. Barnes and Noble has this silly rule that you cannot purchase and download e-books from their website if you are overseas. I called them the other night when I ran into that issue, and I found out that if you have a .mil e-mail address for your B&N account, you can purchase and download e-books to your computer, then sideload through the Nook for PC reader program.

You will also need to have an Adobe account as well, due to the DRM that is on the Nook books. Takes 5 minutes to set up on adobe.com. When you plug your Nook into the computer, the Reader program will ask you to input your Adobe ID and "register" your Nook with your computer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just found this out, so I figured I would pass it along. Barnes and Noble has this silly rule that you cannot purchase and download e-books from their website if you are overseas. I called them the other night when I ran into that issue, and I found out that if you have a .mil e-mail address for your B&N account, you can purchase and download e-books to your computer, then sideload through the Nook for PC reader program.

You will also need to have an Adobe account as well, due to the DRM that is on the Nook books. Takes 5 minutes to set up on adobe.com. When you plug your Nook into the computer, the Reader program will ask you to input your Adobe ID and "register" your Nook with your computer.

Ok.

If I deployed again, I'd take my Nook with me, but I'd preload it with a bunch of stuff before I went. It seems easier to me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I totally misunderstood the thread title.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I totally misunderstood the thread title.

LOL. Same here. First I read NOOB, then I thought it's about the new CH-47 Foxtrots...
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 11:36:53 PM EDT
[#4]
the Nook - E                      

... reader that is...
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 3:27:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Same issue with itunes and trying to download via the Haji network.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:13:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok.

If I deployed again, I'd take my Nook with me, but I'd preload it with a bunch of stuff before I went. It seems easier to me.

I did that as well, but new books come out while I am downrange, so...
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone know if this applies to the Amazon Kindle 3G?  My wife just got me one for my birthday,
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:58:49 PM EDT
[#8]
mrs cwg was PISSED about this. But eh, i told her to get the amazon one.
Link Posted: 8/8/2011 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#9]
As a side note, I loved having my nook with me in Afghanistan. If anyone else has a nook, feel free to drop me a PM and I can try to hook you up with a good selection of eBooks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2011 12:37:44 PM EDT
[#10]
You can also go to the MWR if you need to and buy them, down load onto a thumb drive and sideload later.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Same issue with itunes and trying to download via the Haji network.

I've never had any issues with iTunes.  Assuming you've setup an account with a credit card with US billing address, you can usually buy stuff from anywhere in the world.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top