Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2011 6:00:10 PM EDT
Well he is going to take the ASVAB and sign a contract to be a Navy Div

He has passed the Army Combat diver pre scuba events and is a stud(he's my son of course he is a Stud)

I told him not to sign anything unless it is writing in his contract to be a Navy diver.

problem is they told him he cannot have his cell phone in MEPS, this is BS because if he has a question he cannot contact me or
text me a copy of the contract.

He is 20 and the Navy Recruiter said he will have a Navy Diver contract if it is avalible, and if not he is coming home.

If they talk him into some job other than diver or Navy Seal(the only two jobs he wants) I am going to fuck up a recruiter.

Sorry to rant just need to know if the Cell phone thing is bullshit or not??

I would be there, but he wants to do this on his own and I have certification stuff all week

My other Son is gonna join the Army so hopefully I can be the father of a Navy Seal/or Diver and Army Ranger

Thanks
 Free

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't remember them checking bags at MEPS, just tell him to hide the shit in his underwear and send texts.

Link Posted: 7/31/2011 7:38:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Don't know, when I went though MEPS in Amarillo in 1982 nobody had cell phones, but I know they didn't search anything.

Hope he gets the contract he wants!
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I can understand your concern from the other end (as the son of a retired .mil who joined the AF).  I agree with him turning it off and leaving it hidden in a bag.  If that isn't an option, have him make a list of his important phone numbers as he SHOULD be able to access a phone at MEPS if he feels he needs advice.  Just remind him that up until he takes his oath and signes his contract he can walk out at pretty much any time, and if it's not the job he wants or the contract looks wrong somehow, he should take that option.  If your son is as smart as he sounds, they want him, so he has the advantage and should do whatever he can to keep it.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well he is going to take the ASVAB and sign a contract to be a Navy Div

He has passed the Army Combat diver pre scuba events and is a stud(he's my son of course he is a Stud)

I told him not to sign anything unless it is writing in his contract to be a Navy diver.

problem is they told him he cannot have his cell phone in MEPS, this is BS because if he has a question he cannot contact me or

text me a copy of the contract.

He is 20 and the Navy Recruiter said he will have a Navy Diver contract if it is avalible, and if not he is coming home.

If they talk him into some job other than diver or Navy Seal(the only two jobs he wants) I am going to fuck up a recruiter.

Sorry to rant just need to know if the Cell phone thing is bullshit or not??

I would be there, but he wants to do this on his own and I have certification stuff all week

My other Son is gonna join the Army so hopefully I can be the father of a Navy Seal/or Diver and Army Ranger

Thanks

Free

No you are not allowed to have a mobil phone with you while you are walking around the MEPS. Also remember if he is looking for a specific MOS it may be very very hard to come by, the military is full up and if he does join the dep expect him not to ship till at least march if not later. I joined the DEP (USMC) 20110314 I dont ship to Parris Island till 20111114, and I am still waiting on my contract. My brother is joining the Army he joined the DEP June and ships in January so it isnt a quick thing.

Your son is 20 trust him enough to get the contract right he is a man treat him like one. Also if he signs a contract and hasnt properly read it to check to see if everyting is right it is his fault. Lastly remember it is only his DEP contract too nothing is set in stone it will all be official on the 2nd time he goes to the MEPS to ship wo whereever basic is.

Link Posted: 8/1/2011 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#7]
He can't have a cell phone with him but he can use the counselors landline if he needs to.  Otherwise contact his recruiter as he can also make contact with him or the QCs at MEPS

If he gets caught hiding the phone they'll probably kick him off the processing floor.

Either way good luck to him and your other son!
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 5:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]
They search your bags at MEPS and will run you through a metal detector before you enter the building.  We had a MEPS at a base I was stationed at and we found some crazy stuff that potential recruits tried to sneak in (vibrator being one of them).
Link Posted: 8/1/2011 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#9]
They do search your shit but they dont take it from you, typically their liasion will take it so they dont get caught with it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2011 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
We were allowed to have cellphones at the Ft Lee MEPS early last year but we had to go to a designated room to use them and they had to be turned off the rest of the time.  That noted, things might have changed.
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#11]
All that is bullshit i went to meps about a year ago and they say no cell phones and all that jazz but as long as it doesn't go off or you use it in the bathroom or when they say you can then your fine. I had mine in my pocket the whole time and just used it in the bathroom when necessary there not gonna drop him or kick him out for it.
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All that is bullshit i went to meps about a year ago and they say no cell phones and all that jazz but as long as it doesn't go off or you use it in the bathroom or when they say you can then your fine. I had mine in my pocket the whole time and just used it in the bathroom when necessary there not gonna drop him or kick him out for it.

At the Milwaukee MEPS they can and have kicked people off the floor for processing that day when caught with a cell phone.  They can still enlist but not that day

Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
He passed the physical

He takes the Seal PT test in a week or two

I'm trying to talk him into Navy Diver and he can try out for Seals later.

We will see

Free
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
As a new dad - that's pretty damn inspirational.

Thank you for your service and for installing those same values in your kids.

I'd be proud to post a similar thread in dozen plus years.  

Link Posted: 8/6/2011 11:02:38 AM EDT
[#15]
EOD takes guys out of dive school as well, a lot of the Navy EOD at Eglin are guys that didn't make it all the way through the SEAL program.  I have heard that simply being a diver is not very easy because of all the dive qualed washouts from both EOD and SEAL schools.  That was just RUMINT at Eglin when I was there, though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 1:53:46 PM EDT
[#16]
no cell phones in MEPS is true but he can call you from the land line in his service liasons office
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Before you can be a diver, you have to be a cook for two years.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 3:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Congrats on having a son to be proud of (hooah)

Thanks for your service, as well.
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:09:27 PM EDT
[#19]
He passed the PT test, physical and ASVAB

Just waiting on a Navy Diver contract
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 3:34:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Outstanding.
I have heard nothing but good things about the Navy Dive Community.

Monk
Link Posted: 8/11/2011 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 8:33:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Awesome hope fully he doesnt have to wait long on his contract. Ive been waiting for an Intel contract in the Marines since March.
Link Posted: 8/12/2011 9:35:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Congrats, you should be outwardly proud, most youths today dont get "it" or can't hack "it". Be glad your sons are going to step into some big shoes and carry on alot of traditions.

Kill Bad guys like a champion, Everyday.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top