Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2002 5:43:42 PM EDT
Hi everyone, I am most likely signing up for the Army Reserve in a few weeks. I'm still in college and plan on going to Law School next year. However, I want to put in 4-6 years after Law School in the service. I want to go to OCS and be an infantry officer. If possible, I'd like to be able to go to Jump School, Air Assault, pre-Ranger, Ranger school, etc. Since I'm signing up for the Reserve now, does the MOS while in the reserve matter at all? Will it affect my chances of getting Infantry w/those options after OCS? Currently there are two MOS's open that I'm interested in, Military Police (95B) and Infantry (11B). The 11B one is just a training/ops assistant, not real infantry since I don't think the Reserve has any real infantry units. However, they will send me down to Fort Benning during the summers for infantry training. If I pick 11B for the Reserve, what are my chances of infantry after OCS? I have lots of ROTC friends who have already been to Jump School and one or two have even been to Air Assault. When I sign my contract for the Reserves, what should I ask for? Should I even attempt to ask for something like Jump School sometime in the future or would I just be an egotistical unrealistic pompous bastard?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
 Nice that you want to do all that, but chances are it isn't going to happen.  The first problem is that the reserves don't have infantry.  The second is that very few law school grads will want take a break from the law before they even start practicing law. The third, If you went to OCS, for active duty, than are on active duty as an enlisted member prior to going.  At OCS you will be assigned at the needs of the service, and if you have a law degree and passed the bar already I am pretty sure the service will see to it that you become a JAG officer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you want a lot of things.  Go JAG and get your captain bars for being a professional already.  Then again, if you REALLY want all those happy fun schools, get'em in your contract.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top