Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2011 5:22:16 AM EDT
I have a PT test tomorrow morning and the low tonight is supposed to be 20 degrees.  This will be my first PT test ever in the dead of winter.  Any suggestions on how to do well?  I already just do mediocre with my run and cold burning lungs will not help.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Strip off the jacket and pants. They will just slow you down, keep you warm for the first 1/4 mile, then make you sweat for the rest of the two miles.  

When you are done running, suit back up as quickly as possible, just as soon as you towel off the sweat.

Rub some vapo-rub around your nose and mouth.  Wear one of those painter's masks or put the bottom half of a bacalava around your nose/mouth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 5:58:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I usually try to get to the head of the line so I get that respite between the sit-up portion and the run.  I stretch my legs like a mofo and do a little jog kind of deal. I never warmed up for push-ups and sit-ups other than stretches.  I am a one shot straight through push-up guy with no breaks.  I was never a fan of doing them before the event.  I found it always hampered me.  As for the cold air you're just out of luck on that one.  Hydrate like crazy the night before.  I always seemed to do better when I had soup the night before.  Call it odd, but I think drinking the broth might have helped as far as salt intake and water intake.  I never did a run in long pants.  That just kills your time even if you wind up freezing for a bit once you take them off.  

On the bright side at least it's not raining.  I had to take a PT test before WLC in a god damned monsoon.  My shoes felt like they weighed 500 pounds.  You know you're sucking when the guy who usually runs low 12 something gets a 1340.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

Possibly some second and third order effects with that approach.  Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

What do you mean?  

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:57:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

http://media.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=24926

What do you mean?  

Dude, that shit would fuck me up.  Running into a mature, fat, healthy grizzly in the deep snow while its amped on coke.  PT harder.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 6:57:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

I thought meth worked better?

I am good with everything but the run.  I hate the damn cold weather.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 7:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

What do you mean?  

Dude, that shit would fuck me up.  Running into a mature, fat, healthy grizzly in the deep snow while its amped on coke.  PT harder.

I know, right?  

Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:02:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a PT test tomorrow morning and the low tonight is supposed to be 20 degrees.  This will be my first PT test ever in the dead of winter.  Any suggestions on how to do well?  I already just do mediocre with my run and cold burning lungs will not help.

20 degrees isn't cold.

More cardio outside is the answer.  It won't help you now, but doing PT outside helps you get over the cold lungs bit.  It was just below 0 on Tuesday––-no issues running because we always run outside.

Other than that––see Payback's answer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:06:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Drink Powrthirst, THEN do cocaine.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 9:36:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Get stationed at Ft. Drum and do PT tests in -20 then 20 will seem warm. For real though, when I was stationed at Drum I always used to just keep moving and keep my body warmed up so when the run came it wasn't so bad.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 11:36:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

Follow the Captains orders.

What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:01:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Get pissed.  I took one at 32 degrees. I figured the fastest way I could get out of the cold was to get it over with.  Unpleasantness is a great motivator.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The first step was do more pt, like running. When you fail or barely pass dont talk shit about how "that was a little more than 2 miles". Be a man, say yeah your fucked up and develop a plan to fix it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2011 8:58:16 PM EDT
[#16]
We once had a run that was like 1/4 short.  People were coming in stupid fast.  Had to rerun that one another day.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:28:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Kinda late now, but train in cold weather. Does your  unit not do PT this time of year?
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

That would be funny if I didn't have a soldier that just tried it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

That would be funny if I didn't have a soldier that just tried it.

That seemed to be the drug of choice from what I saw from people popping hot.  Although there was apparently a lot of ecstasy floating around in Iraq.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 3:52:21 PM EDT
[#20]
We've been chaptering for methamphetamine, marijuana and salvia, mostly.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Interesting on the meth side.  We had one guy that had that issue, but that was the least of his problems.  I saw him when he showed up to the unit and then he went awol for a while.  When he came back that guy looked like hell.  He had sores all over his body and shit.  It was pretty nasty.  I think he ended up doing heroin.  We did have a few guys come up for weed, but I'd say most of it was coke.  I think people thought it would be out of their systems fast enough they could dodge the screenings.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Lol. 20 isn't cold.

Really though, you just have to get used to it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:55:08 PM EDT
[#23]
5 hour energy

3 excedrine

good warm up and stretch
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I had no idea they had developed a test for that shit yet.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:00:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Lol. 20 isn't cold.

Says the guy from Florida...

Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:06:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had no idea they had developed a test for that shit yet.

They haven't, but for some reason the PVTs insist on smoking it outside where a CQ/SDNCO can see them.  Or smell it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 6:24:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Lol. 20 isn't cold.

You may want to check his avatar.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Lol. 20 isn't cold.

Or has been stationed on Fort Fucking Drum. He knows what cold is, trust me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2011 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Suck it up.  Do more pushups to get warm, do more situps to get warm, run faster to get warm, then get out of cold.  Don't use the cold as an excuse.  

on a serious note, make sure you warmup and stretch prior to starting.
Link Posted: 1/24/2011 6:34:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cocaine.

Lots of Cocaine.

What do you mean?  

Link Posted: 1/24/2011 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Suck it up.  Do more pushups to get warm, do more situps to get warm, run faster to get warm, then get out of cold.  Don't use the cold as an excuse.  

on a serious note, make sure you warmup and stretch prior to starting.

This is what you need to do.  Saying its cold is a crutch, just wear shorts and t-shirt AND RUN!

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 1:41:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Tell em to, "fuck off, I'll do my PT test when I feel like it."

thats what I do.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:36:16 PM EDT
[#34]
If you are allowed wear Under Armour Coldgear tights under your shorts or at least a pair of compression shorts under your shorts - they'll at least keep your hip flexors and thighs a little warmer than nothing.  After the first mile, you should be warm enough from sweating that it'll be comfy the rest of the way.

A tip that I read about was to put on thin layer of vaseline on your exposed skin (ie. legs) so that it creates  a thin barrier between your skin and the outside air.  I tried it once when it was mid 30's and I ran in shorts.  Don't know if it worked or not - the exposed legs go numb after a while anyway.  I never did it again after that.  I switched to the under armour tights under my shorts.

What does Vicks Vapo-Rub do around the nose and mouth? I would think that it will open up your sinuses if your nose fills up with snot....just wondering....
I would think that the air getting into your lungs would feel like getting a direct hit of liquid nitrogen with the Vicks on top of the already cold air...
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
A tip that I read about was to put on thin layer of vaseline on your exposed skin (ie. legs) so that it creates  a thin barrier between your skin and the outside air.

But is your dignity worth being just a little bit warmer?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#36]
They did a great job of re-doing the indoor track here at FE Warren. The only problem is the laps are really short and the corners can cause pain in your ankles. I have not run on it yet because I was/have been on a profile for a while. But I did have to walk it for my PT test a couple months ago. I did a Mile in almost 12 minutes flat. Last summer when I tested under the old standards I had to do the three mile walk on the outdoor track which I did in 37 minutes. Don't let people tell you walking the test is easy, if you want a good score you have to walk like a retard and I think it hurts worse afterwards then running. But the indoor track was a roughened painted concrete surface, now they rubberized it and it seems like a nice surface.

But up here the weather changes and can cause havoc on PT testing. One day you may test and the weather is perfect with no/little wind and warm, the next the day the wind will be howling and the temps will be down in the 20-30s. I think they are doing all of the testing indoors now to make it an even across the board; cant complain it was too windy, or too cold, of you got chased by a buck antelope in heat. The outdoor track they were using was a paved track that ran around the parade field 1.3 miles. But like I said the weather was a bitch at times.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Tell em to, "fuck off, I'll do my PT test when I feel like it."

thats what I do.

That works until you are set to PCS and need to knock one out for your OER, and the weather doesn't cooperate.  I just had to do one in 5 degree weather in Bavaria because I am stupid and failed to remember my last one had been in the spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top