Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 6:56:19 PM EDT
Check out the video.  Click on the blue car.    http://www.mobilespike.com/

I posted this in the GD, but I wanted you guys to see it too.  What do you think?  
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Looks interesting

+1. Of course the idiots that I work for would only put them on the sergeant's cars, and its damn hard to stop a pursuit when your sitting in dispatch watching TV!

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Not bad but there is another one I like better.  I forget the name of it but it looked like a big retractable harpoon on the front of a patrol car.  They would deploy the harpoon and then ram it through the rear of the target vehicle.  They could then use the patrol car to drag the the target vehicle to a stop.  IT also had a provision to pump gas through the harpoon into the target vehicle to deploy OC, etc..
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not bad but there is another one I like better.  I forget the name of it but it looked like a big retractable harpoon on the front of a patrol car.  They would deploy the harpoon and then ram it through the rear of the target vehicle.  They could then use the patrol car to drag the the target vehicle to a stop.  IT also had a provision to pump gas through the harpoon into the target vehicle to deploy OC, etc..

That'd be the classic Carpoon.  I think it was Norwegian.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the Dragon Tank that the Obama canceled would have been perfect for stopping pursuits...

but seriously, I like the harpoon idea.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Carpoon sounds like a great idea...
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Good idea, hate to see it come back at the carrying vehicle, but it looks like the deployment arm has taken that into account. What's the cost? I can see admin freaking and saying, "We could buy 100 Stop Sticks for the price of one of these". I'm all for being strapped in and in control instead of standing on the side of the road and hurling it out into the void.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I've seen lots of cars spiked and if you just get one tire, they aren't stopping.

I'm also not a huge fan of having to pull up that close to a suspect vehicle during a chase unless we're laying the PIT on them.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:03:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Dupe.

Ha!  Maybe that's the one I mentioned in the OP?

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Although this sounds like a pretty inovative design, I see a few problems that raise a concern....First off as stated above, your only gonna get one side spiked, and most will drive on until all fours are flat.  The other thing that is concerning is having to take one hand off the wheel while yer pulling up next to a suspect, who has already decided to run and is unpredicatable, to deploy the system.  Personally some type of foot actuated trigger would be better (the arming button could still be in the same location).
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Although this sounds like a pretty inovative design, I see a few problems that raise a concern....First off as stated above, your only gonna get one side spiked, and most will drive on until all fours are flat.  The other thing that is concerning is having to take one hand off the wheel while yer pulling up next to a suspect, who has already decided to run and is unpredicatable, to deploy the system.  Personally some type of foot actuated trigger would be better (the arming button could still be in the same location).

It's not the perfect system, but it's another tool to use.  Being from California, I can't see driving down the road with an M4 hanging out the window shooting at tires being authorized.  Throwing spike strips is probably the most efficient way.  This is something new and probably can be used in a few situations.  

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:45:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:17:15 PM EDT
[#14]
In my younger days I got a lot of car poon
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Not bad but there is another one I like better.  I forget the name of it but it looked like a big retractable harpoon on the front of a patrol car.  They would deploy the harpoon and then ram it through the rear of the target vehicle.  They could then use the patrol car to drag the the target vehicle to a stop.  IT also had a provision to pump gas through the harpoon into the target vehicle to deploy OC, etc..[/quote]

Didn't they do that in WACO?
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe.

Ha!  Maybe that's the one I mentioned in the OP?

Reading the post is fundamental people.  Is it just me or does he look like the guy from Knocked Up?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top