Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2002 5:56:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 6:03:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My department is kicking around the idea of allowing officer to carry a M-1.  The reasoning is the price.  Individual officers can purchase the rifle for about $200 w/mags.  We are already allowed to carry a high quality .223 semi-auto rifles, and some of our guys can't afford to purchase AR-15's. SO, I need help.  Who out there carries them?  Do you authorize/suggest accessories?  Does anyone know how this round is compared to the .223 (Penetrate body armor, less likely to over penetrate building materials, like the .223 compared to the .40 S&W).  Can anyone suggest a course of fire for qual and training?  We thought about using the AR courses, but it appears that this round is not as accurate, with lower velocity.

It is already agreed that the AR is superior for our purposes, but this is more for the guys who can't afford them.  Thanks in advance.
Art in KY
View Quote

I hate to say this, but they might be better off with Mini-14's.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 7:53:12 AM EDT
[#2]
By M-1 I assume you mean the M-1 Carbine. My Dept. has several M-2's in our inventory. The .30 Carbine is akin to a pistol round in the .38 Spl.+P to .357 Mag. performance. It won't penetrate most soft body armor. It is adequate(barely) for urban patrol duties. Given the choice between the M-1 Carbine and nothing as my choices for a patrol carbine. I'd take the M-1. It will give you better longer range accuracy and more fire power than a pistol.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 8:34:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
, but this is more for the guys who can't afford them.
View Quote

That's what O/T is for..."collars for dollars!"
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Better a mini-14 than an M-1 Carbine, though if the option is nothing or the carbine, the carbine has an edge.
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Our department has authorized the carrying of M1 Carbines, matter of fact, we had qualifications this last Thursday.  For giggles
and grins, I qualified on mine.  Though it will
likely not be carried unless the AR and Benelli
is out of action at the same time.

Our guys, found a source out of Shotgun news, I think.  They bought a bunch.  The stocks are in
rough shape but the actions and barrels are very nice.

I do agree, the M1 is a good weapon but it just
barely makes it as a duty carry weapon.  But
then again, if it's no carbine or the M1, the
the M1 will do just fine.  This will work well
for the SRT guys, because this will open the
door for the SRT guys to have the ability to
deploy them on patrol duties.  Which suits me
just fine!  Going in on a building with entry
with a heavy assed shotgun with no light system
really really bites!!!!

TCLEOSE (our governing LE board here in TX) has
told us 20 rounds at 50 yards, scoring no less than 70% is acceptable.  Our department added the stipulation of no rounds outside the scoring areas.  In other words no misses.  Each round that misses the target = collateral damage or injured bystander.  If any misses, the shooter must reshoot.  Our AR qual is much more stringent with no less than 80% plus running to differant distances with mag changes under two minutes.  

The M1's will do you guys fine.  Just make sure
they are good functional weapons. Good luck and
have fun!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2002 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownells [url]www.brownells.com[/url] carries some very nice new, walnut, military finish Carbine stocks...

239-000-021  Carbine Finished Stock $68.63  
239-000-023  Carbine Finished Handguard $27.92

Prices are what your armorer can get them for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top