Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2002 3:10:50 PM EDT
Hey, I recently added a (personally-owned) patrol rifle to the other stuff I keep in my car.  For right now, I?ve had the rifle in a case in the trunk.  I would really prefer the rifle be upfront with me, rather then in the trunk.  I have a take-home car (Crown Vic), so something secure so that I don?t have to drag the rifle in and out at the beginning and end of the day is preferred.  My dept. issue shotgun is already in a locking mount attached to the cage, and anything else I buy will have to be out of my own pocket.  How do you guys carry your rifles?  Any ideas for me?

Also, is the rifle being upfront and being warm, then out overnight cold (frozen), is this a problem, in terms of condensation and/or long-term wear?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
dp
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I keep a HK G36KE and Rem 870 upfront. Any thing locked in your trunk would not be of much help in most of the situations we encounter.

For any other officers out there who carry a carbine, I would secure it up front when on duty in some manner and do the obvious lock the car. I have several dash cam videos I use in training that show how the officer might had survived had he had his carbine upfront instead of locked in his trunk. Some departments make their officers carry shotguns locked in racks in their trunks so the public is not offended by the thought of them actually being used. More political correctness putting officer safety on the back burner...Oh, Boy.

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Good ideas, thanks.
I have a 16" DPMS carbine with the fixed stock (post-ban) and a front-sight mounted light.  Unfortunately, because of the center console in our cars and the horizontal shotgun rack towards the top of the cage, vertical between the seats won't work.  I've been just sticking it between the console and the front passenger seat, and making real sure the car is locked, and then bringing it inside at night.  I'm thinking about putting a horizontal mount of some kind above the shotgun rack.  Still exploring. Sully, thanks for the advice on the hot/cold, that sounds like a good plan!
dp

G36KE---sounds neat!

Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Any chance of putting it above the sun visors with one of those shelfs as for pickups.

Trying to remember if they make a rack and lock setup that would mount to the transmission hump and angle back along side the radios.

San angelo comes to mind as a company that makes different mounts for cars and trucks.  Just a regular commercial company not LE so far as I can remember.  I'll try to find if that's it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a bad idea, but a forgot to mention that I have an in-car camera system that takes up the front center of the ceiling of the car.  As for in the middle, I'm thinking maybe a muzzle down mount on right side of the console, going into the passenger foot area.  But, there's a flashlight charger there that would probably have to be moved.  Also thought about seeing if there was some kind of center of the ceiling mount, but decided against it.  One of our Officers was involved in a fairly serious accident, were he was not wearing his seatbelt (about to make a stop) and the airbag ran his head into the roof.  I would hate to hit a rifle if that happened.
dp
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:35:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a bushmaster 14.5 fluted with vortex hider in the lockup next to a mossberg 590 all fit well sorry you can't have 2 locks but it is in my worthless opinion the best way to go...
Link Posted: 2/21/2002 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#7]
You have several options for carrying the rifle in the passenger's compartment.  I tend to favor mounts that sit along the roofline as they are typically out of the public's eye and help you avoid those annoying "why are you carrying a machine gun" question.

If you're using one of SureFire's Millenium tactical lights, I only know of two mounts that will work.  Your first option is to modify Pro-Gard's rifle mount.  I have the instructions on how to do this at my website.  The URL is [url]http://thecurmudgeon.freeservers.com/fa-index.html[/url]  Check the AR-15 Advocacy page.

You can also buy mounts from Big Sky that will work.  ([url]http://www.bigskyracks.com[url])  They don't advertise that certain models will work with tactical lights AND OPTICS but per their rep at the SHOT show they do.  I believe that their model ELS-270 can be purchased without the foam guides up front, allowing everything to fit.  The only downside is that you can only carry a twenty round magazine in the weapon (but I do that anyway.)  With the Big Sky systems, you can buy the lock and then decide which way you want to mount it, either across the roof line or vertically on the face of your cage.
Link Posted: 2/26/2002 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry my AR is a Big Sky rack in the take home Vic every day without any problem.  I'm not sure what the model number is but I ordered it through Carbelas and it's the single gun model.  I use a cable lock on it for security and very few people notice it even from inside the car.  I cut the foam on one arm to make room for my tactical light and put it in with the mag well to the front which allows me to carry a 30 rd mag in it.  My rifle is pretty pimped up (tac light, extended rail, trijicon reflex, Giles sling on slingthings etc) and I haven't noticed any problem.  Buzzy
Link Posted: 3/1/2002 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I carry my AR is a Big Sky rack in the take home Vic every day without any problem.  I'm not sure what the model number is but I ordered it through Carbelas and it's the single gun model.  I use a cable lock on it for security and very few people notice it even from inside the car.  I cut the foam on one arm to make room for my tactical light and put it in with the mag well to the front which allows me to carry a 30 rd mag in it.  My rifle is pretty pimped up (tac light, extended rail, trijicon reflex, Giles sling on slingthings etc) and I haven't noticed any problem.  Buzzy
View Quote

Dittos:
What he said.

Jay
[img]http://www.commspeed.net/jmurray/images/iroc-cop.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top