Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 5:51:40 PM EDT
I'm a lieutenant with our local Police Department. I received a letter yesterday from Army Reserve Unit informing me that I'm about to be "called up" for active duty. No dates or destinations. Have any of you been through this and if so, how were you treated by your department. I met with our new chief today and he was less than enthused about the whole matter. He informed me that the city that he had just left had officers in the mid-east (former officers mind you). He advised me that they (the officers) had terminated (forced to?) their employment. I have given 16 years of service to this agency and now I can read between the lines. I hope that I'm wrong, but I doubt it. He could only tell me that he would have to ask the city manager about my situation. All I'm wanting is my job when I return home and my rank.
Thanks,
RTP
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Immediatly contact your reserve unit's staff.
There is fedaral law requiring the PD to hold your job and rank while you are called away to active service. They have the laws on file to be handed over to your chief.
A few guys ay my place had no problem from the chief, but the finance dept cut off their pay/benifits/etc. A nice Lt from the Army staff came by, gave them a copy of the law, and asked if there would be any further questions.
SWEET!
You may be affected in length of time needed to make up your service away (retirement pension)
but the new guy is trying to pull a fast one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Refer to the Soldier's and Sailor's Relief Act.

Feds will take the employer to court and bust their asses.  You will win, be reinstated and recieve back pay and allowances.

On the other hand, don't count on a decent efficiency report or good bonus again.

Your new chief needs to get with the program, before he becomes the old chief.

Concur with contacting your military chain of command for assistance.  If that fails, call the IG.

Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Contact the Staff Judge Advocate at your unit, The Soldiers and Sailor's Relief Act doesn't cover employment/reemployment rights, but here's a link to the Uniformed Services Employment And Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) of 1994[url]http://military.com/Resources/ResourceFileView?file=Reserve_USERRA.htm[/url]

This should help

Semper Fi
Dave
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Doooooh!

Thanks Dave, I stand corrected!  I am knocking out my 20 for hipshooting and poor research.

RTP:

Get some!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Your job is safe, for up to five years.  They have to give you a comparable position upon your return. You get seniority time any advancements (like Step adjustments or automatic promotions) that you would have gotten while you were gone and they have to give you the opportunity to pay in your retirement contributions and get your retirement credit as well. You need to "shame" them into doing what many agencies (including mine, I am proud to say) around here are doing; they are making up the difference between the lower AD pay rates and their officer's pay rate at the Department.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:36:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Sir, please see my private email to you concerning this issue. I may be able to help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
When you get your activation orders, take a copy to your department and have them fax it over to TCLEOSE.  TCLEOSE will hold your license and exempt you from having to take all the courses.  Which will keep your license from being suspended.  This a new ruling by TCLEOSE.  I have a copy of it in my box.

If your Chief needs clarification on this, call TCLEOSE and get the required info.

If I were you, I would not leave any of the leg work up to your department, they seem less than enthusiatic and will more than likely drag their feet.

The SaSRA is a great tool.  My department had questions regarding me and my job status, if I get deployed.  I gave them a copy of the part that informed them of their responsibilities and after reading it, they had no problems from then on out.  This will also protect you from any duty that you volunteer for.

Good luck.  If I can help, email me.

ps - what reserve unit are you in??
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all of the advise. I want to say that the notice that I received was general in nature informing us to get our affairs in order (that was what I was trying to do) and that we could be called-up in one month or sometime this year. But it did say that we would be called up. Our MOS is in very short supply and that we will be needed soon. I was just concerned after receiving a very cool reception, not what I expected. I will keep you informed as to what happens. Thanks "ARSTAF", I will contact you later if things "go south" on me.
Regards,
RTP
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 7:00:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Really good advice here. My city currently has 36 officers deployed, the benefits lady has it all down pat by now. My unit was activated two days after the warning letter, (Sept 20th) reported to Ft Hood to conduct LE operations in place of the active MP units deployed. If you are coming to Ft Hood, prepare to be screwed over by the active side.  Be warned, barracks space is non-existant, (We have people in construction trailers, two people in a 7'X 10' space) Medical/dental care is patchy and hard to come by, mess facilities are whatever you can find, supplies are non-existant, days run 14-16 hours, and whatever unit you get attached to (The 89th MP in our case) will screw with you over everything from PT scores to twice a day barracks inspection. Your best bet is to get with some of your buds and rent a house off base. I'm living in a camper at the local campground and driving home two days a week myself. One thing I really must warn you about. even though you are a Texas Peace Officer,  DO NOT BRING WEAPONS/AMMO ONTO POST! Vehicles are searched at random at all gates, and by roving traffic points. (Maybe I should start a thread on the Base here!)        
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 8:49:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm tacking this one at the top.  Post active duty questions and suggestions or solutions here!
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Not only are you GUARENTEED your job by the Federal Gov't, if your employment is terminated within a year after you return it is also assumed it was due to your status as a deployed service member. It will be investigated and prosecuted if need be. Nor can you be denied any time based promotions or salary increases. Nor can they deny you compensations you would normally receive; I work nights and receive shift differential. My shift differential is included in my 30 paid military days.

I've been called up for a year and have received no hassles from my dept.

Also, luckily for myself and all those in my departmwent that have been called up, Nassau County NY has passed legislation to make up the difference between the military salary and my job salary for one year. NYC and Suffolk County NY have also done the same thing. Talk to your local legislature or whomever to see if they're truly interested in supporting America's servicemen and women.

Good Luck

Sherm

Edited to add there are tons of good web sites out there for reservist support that explain everything. And like someone said above, DO NOT leave any of the leg work up to your department. Don't leave anything to be re-interprted or misunderstood by your employer. Do ALL the legwork yourself. Everthing you need them to know is on paper somewhere and it's not hard to get at all. Have your SSCRA 6% letters ready to go before they activate you. You can only send them out once you receive your orders.

I'll e-mail you a template in Word.
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 6:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
They are under no obligation to pay you or continue your health benefits while your gone though.

Like I said before, I'm veeeery lucky.

There are two guys in my unit, one is a Paramedic Supervisor at NY Presbyterian Hosp in NYC another a paramedic at the same hosp. When they submitted their orders they were told "Thanks, see you in a year." No pay, no health insurance, nothing, just theior jobs when they return. Now the supervisor is enrolled in Tricare and his family drives the 1 1/2 hr to West Point for ALL their medical care.

Sucks

Sherm
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Need some help here guys.  Trying to get my Administartion interested in putting together some kind of supplemental pay, in case of deployment.

Do you all know where I could locate information on agency's or states who offer this kind of benefit.

It was approached last employee committe meeting and they said they are not interested.  "Our insurance makes up for that in the benefit package!"  I'm not sure what the hell that means because if I get deployed, I will take a $20,000 pay cut.  I won't be able to afford diapers and food for my kids, much less insurance.

This may have to go to the elected Reps for help on this one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Pakrat,  we just had a package put in place with the City of Austin. It really kind of sucks since they figure basic rations, housing and such into your pay scale, (According to the city my take home Army pay is 3,000$ a month!)and it's not retroactive, but it's better than nothing.  All the paperwork is at home,  but you can try human resources for the city of Austin at:
Main number:  512 974-3211
Employee benefits: 512 974-3284
they might be able to shoot you some info.      
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 10:43:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Pakrat,  we just had a package put in place with the City of Austin. It really kind of sucks since they figure basic rations, housing and such into your pay scale, (According to the city my take home Army pay is 3,000$ a month!)and it's not retroactive, but it's better than nothing.  
View Quote

I just went through this with the USN. COMRATS and per diem are not included in your LES. My job is making up the difference between my mil pay and my regular pay. They are including base pay and housing in their calculations of what they'll pay me. As near as I've been able to tell so far, they'd never know about your per diem or COMRATS pay. ($300 and $250 in my case) I receive them as a seperate check also.

Sherm
Link Posted: 2/14/2002 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Need some help here guys.  Trying to get my Administartion interested in putting together some kind of supplemental pay, in case of deployment.

Do you all know where I could locate information on agency's or states who offer this kind of benefit.

It was approached last employee committe meeting and they said they are not interested.  "Our insurance makes up for that in the benefit package!"  I'm not sure what the hell that means because if I get deployed, I will take a $20,000 pay cut.  I won't be able to afford diapers and food for my kids, much less insurance.

This may have to go to the elected Reps for help on this one.
View Quote

Go to your reps AND also your local media. That's what happened here. A Nassau County NY Corrections officer made his story public( a guy making $55,000 a year going down to E-4 pay 1,323 a month before taxes with a wife, house and two kids is a hell of a hit) The local paper did a half page story on it on page 3. It was also on the local newscast as well. They played up that there were so few reservist in a workforce of 16,000 (there are 127) and how could we let America's soldiers, sailors and Marines go off to serve their Country when their homefront was in fiscal disarray. This was in October. The legislation I've mentioned above was passed in January. It really tugged the heartstrings when the patriotic anghle was played. Maybe it'll work for you too.

[url]http://newsday.com/news/nationworld/sns-worldtrade-reservists-nyn.story[/url]

If that doesn't work, try this. Your employer may actually MAKE money in the deal. NYC and Suffolk County NY employees SURRENDER their paychecks and in turn receive their entire salaries as if they never left.

If you are deployed to a combat/ imminent danger area you receive additional pay on top of your base pay, and tax free status for the months you serve there. The military pay you earn may, depending on your salary in your civilian job and because it's tax free, exceed your civilian job pay. This mewans you are not entitled to the extra $$, but you have the peace of mind knowing that your original pay still coming in.

Hope this helps.

Sherm
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Not to sound like a d**k, but didn't you realize your pay would be less if you were called for duty?   Sure, being a reserve can be a great part time job, but it does come with risks.  I'm not sorry you will be making less money while serving you country once activiated, but just think of all the other hundred of thousands of active duty members, you are NOW making what they live on each month.  Your "part time" job of being a military reservist is kinda like investing in Enron stocks!!!!!!!  Sometimes you can make out big, and other times it bites you in the a**.  I recommend you not re-enlist when your enlistment is up, if you are not willing to take the good with the bad.  

Oh, by the way, I am active duty,  and a lot of reservists get pay/benefits from their employers when activated, but some don't.  So, no more whining.

If your military pay is not enough, advance.  Get promoted.  Due something dumb like become an Officer.  As an E-7, the pay isn't too bad, after putting in my 20 years, I'll get a paycheck for Uncle Sam, and the lots of time left in my life to have a second career.
Link Posted: 2/17/2002 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Watercop,

You do sound like a dick and I'm sure that's exactly what you intended with your post.  

The "Called to active duty" topic is intended to help those who serve two masters provide for their families while they serve on active duty at a pay rate usually well below the level they have become accustomed to, with reduced benefits.  For crying out loud, man, you're picking on mostly women and children; dependants for pity's sake.  How would you feel if you were suddenly told you would only receive your base pay without benefits, hazard pay or allowances for food and quarters?  

Please take your bitter jealousy elsewhere.  It's truely pathetic and reflects badly on you.

Dave G
Link Posted: 2/18/2002 12:57:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Watercop,

You do sound like a dick and I'm sure that's exactly what you intended with your post.  

Dave G
View Quote

Dave, I think his point may have been something like this: Joining the Reserve or National Guard is a serious commitment. Before joining you should consider if you are ready to serve on active duty for a time without much notice.

This is both a moral and lifestyle question. If you aren't able to serve on active duty without signifigant probelems you should consider whether or not you want to join.

I don't want people's lives messed up because they have to serve their Country, I also don't want to hear about people who take the pay and benefits that the Reserves/NG offers during "peace time" but want to complain when they are activated and there might be shooting going on.

It is wrong not to support "citizen-soldiers", just as wrong as it is to suddenly become a Conscientous Objector when your unit gets activated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top