Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2009 12:47:52 PM EDT
Im prior military and keeping my eye open for fed LEO jobs and have been looking over their websites and any information i can find.

Some of them say they want you to bring a driving record up to 7 years back. Last year i was involved in an accident (my first one), no one was hurt, no one recieved a ticket. I have had a combined total of probably 4-5 tickets in my life, one was for careless driving, rest were for speeding. Im under 30 but older then 25.

Wow after typing that i feel like a complete shitbag, i know its not too specific but is that right there a deal breaker? How would you even get a copy of your driving record?

EDIT: To clarify, the job i would like to get if possible would be the US Marshals.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I just went over that with my background investigator last week. I had some tickets and accidents when I was younger. Have not been cited in probably 8 years. I did total my new Mustang less than two years ago when the transmission locked up on a fucking bridge and tried to kill me. He said not to worry about anything.

My advice to you is relax. The process for federal LEO is a fucking nightmare, and if you don't chill out you will spend many nights tasting the acid from your stomach in your throat. Ask me how I know.

Also, I don't believe U.S. Marshals have accepted applications "off the street" in a few years now.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just went over that with my background investigator last week. I had some tickets and accidents when I was younger. Have not been cited in probably 8 years. I did total my new Mustang less than two years ago when the transmission locked up on a fucking bridge and tried to kill me. He said not to worry about anything.

My advice to you is relax. The process for federal LEO is a fucking nightmare, and if you don't chill out you will spend many nights tasting the acid from your stomach in your throat. Ask me how I know.

Sorry i didnt mean to make it sound like i was freaking out, im not at all im just getting my ducks in a row. I actually just got my driving record through email and it shows 1 ticket for speeding in 2005, 1 ticket for careless driving in 2005 and 1 ticket for my muffler/unlawful noise (no points) in 2005. 7 year record.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:28:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry i didnt mean to make it sound like i was freaking out, im not at all im just getting my ducks in a row. I actually just got my driving record through email and it shows 1 ticket for speeding in 2005, 1 ticket for careless driving in 2005 and 1 ticket for my muffler/unlawful noise (no points) in 2005. 7 year record.

2005 was a rough/wild year for you

Yeah I know, totally unhelpful comment.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, I know...I'm just saying. It has really been one hell of a ride, so brace yourself and just try to relax if you do it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
HollowPoint40

First off, good luck and thank you for your service.

As you start the application process, make an extra copy of your application for your records.  If you submit an app to an agency and aren't hired first round, then apply again for another round and there are any discrepancies on your second app from your first, you're fubar.  Even the most minuscule things can get you tanked.  Remember to get your finances in order most ricky tick.  A background check of your credit history will tell a lot about how you view doing things on time and how you manage your life.  Be ready for an entire set of questions that directly relate to your time in the military.  Yes, they will know what you specifically did during your time, and exact details of opportunities that servicemen with your MOS had a high likelihood of getting in trouble/being dishonest.  Even if you screwed up in the past, tell the truth about it and nothing but the truth, no exceptions.  This will show your integrity and willingness to learn from mistakes.  Also, lying is an automatic DQ.

Be prepared to answer to this. The definition of careless driving is defined as any person who drives any motor vehicle in this state carelessly or without due caution so as to endanger a person or property shall be guilty of careless driving.

To serve and protect has direct correlation to this.  Just so you know, I believe this would be a major deal breaker at my agency.  Especially because four years is still very recent.

Regardless, good luck and thanks for serving again.  God Bless
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#6]
As far as the finances thing, my background investigator told me as long as you are not late on your payments/have foreclosure/collections/etc. you are fine. I have like 4k in credit card debt and he didn't even mention it, he said they just look at the derogs. I am GTG. He was telling me stories from applicants that just blew my mind, such as applying with debts currently in collection they have no intention of paying off.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Understood, my post was aimed at assisting Hollow in succeeding.  Also Joe, keep this in mind, a background investigator or future investigator during the process will never tell you to your face that you have DQ'ed.  They may even tell you that they are recommending an advancement, then after a few weeks of no word, you get a DQ letter in the mail.  Prevents confrontation.  Also, remember that telling an applicant stories worse than the position the applicant is in eases tension.  Not saying any of this is case specific to you.  Only time will tell, Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Understood, my post was aimed at assisting Hollow in succeeding.  Also Joe, keep this in mind, a background investigator or future investigator during the process will never tell you to your face that you have DQ'ed.  They may even tell you that they are recommending an advancement, then after a few weeks of no word, you get a DQ letter in the mail.  Prevents confrontation.  Also, remember that telling an applicant stories worse than the position the applicant is in eases tension.  Not saying any of this is case specific to you.  Only time will tell, Good luck.

Well looks like i may want to look into re-enlisting.

I guess all i can do is try with these places but doesnt sound too good.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Hollow, bring the required docs, be prepared for any questioning, be truthful, don't make excuses, and the rest is not up to you.  
If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain to be in peril - Sun Tzu
If you want it, fight for it, but prepare.  If it doesn't work out, hold on to all previous apps, and every step you take forward from this point needs to be toward your goal.  Drive in respect for the law, like you have been recently.  A fuck up with seven impeccable years after it looks much better on a DMV record.  Thanks again for serving.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Im prior military and keeping my eye open for fed LEO jobs and have been looking over their websites and any information i can find.

Some of them say they want you to bring a driving record up to 7 years back. Last year i was involved in an accident (my first one), no one was hurt, no one recieved a ticket. I have had a combined total of probably 4-5 tickets in my life, one was for careless driving, rest were for speeding. Im under 30 but older then 25.

Wow after typing that i feel like a complete shitbag, i know its not too specific but is that right there a deal breaker? How would you even get a copy of your driving record?

EDIT: To clarify, the job i would like to get if possible would be the US Marshals.

I don't think it will be a big deal, just make sure to list the information they request completely and correctly as possible.  A couple of speeding tickets are not a deal breaker.  What they focus on are your finances, associations, and criminal history.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for everyones replies,

I may be attending a US Marshals informational session soon and they are asking for this information. Its a very long drive for me so i figured i would ask around before hand to see what people thought. It may sound negative but the position im in as far as the driving record and my education isnt that good so thats why i have been asking around. Im 2 courses away from my AA degree, i have more training courses then i do school, i dont know how much they take that into consideration.

Anyone ever been to an informational session for an agency?
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for everyones replies,

I may be attending a US Marshals informational session soon and they are asking for this information. Its a very long drive for me so i figured i would ask around before hand to see what people thought. It may sound negative but the position im in as far as the driving record and my education isnt that good so thats why i have been asking around. Im 2 courses away from my AA degree, i have more training courses then i do school, i dont know how much they take that into consideration.

Anyone ever been to an informational session for an agency?

Yes, I have. Wear a suit and as far as the driving record goes, you can get a certified copy of your last 3 or 5 years from the DMV but you have to go there in person. You'll be fine with that. Don't sweat it. If you qualify which I'm sure you will with your MIL experience, it'll be about a month when you get an email for your interview. Whole process takes about 9-12 months from interview to EOD at the academy.  Good luck and you'll love the job if you get it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top