Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/27/2009 11:26:45 PM EDT
I have enjoy this conversation fom time to time so when did you make your first arrest, what was the nature of the offense, and what gun were you carrying when you made the arrest and where were you?

My first arrest occurred in December 1998 in Barrow, Alaska. The offense was an Assault in the Fourth Degree DV.  I was carrying one of my Glock Model-22 and it was damn cold outside.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:48:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Seattle - June 2005.  Suspect assaulted a woman and then tried to run her over with his car.  Suspect drove by while I was interviewing the victim.  Felony stop, suspect arrested.  Glock 22 in Safariland 6070 holster.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 11:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]
DUI arrest Grand Forks AFB, ND in June of 1980. I carried a Smith and Wesson Model 15 revolver.

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 12:47:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Chanute AFB, IL    1980   Assault   S&W model 15
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 2:56:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Its was around Sept. of 2000 at our State Fair. I arrested a voulteer fire fighter for possession of maijuana and I had a Glock 22.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]
My first was back in April of 1996 while working for the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office in Tennessee.  I was carrying my S&W 4506.  The charges were 1) Hit and Run; 2) DUI; and 3) Possession of Marijuana.

While working a Hit and Run crash, the offender actually drove back past the scene.  I ran her down, finally got her to stop, and it was all down hill for her from there.  Still remember her name...
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:13:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Lets see it was my first full day on the job so it was 11/7/95 for domestic assault and we carried Glock 9mm at the time. I had a G17.

J-
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
December 1981 (AD)  8 Mile and Inkster, warrants/suspended license.  I was carrying a Dan Wesson 4" satin nickel 357 with Speer 125 SP.

Those were the days––––
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 6:14:44 AM EDT
[#8]
How can you guys remember your first arrest?  Mine was in July of 2005 in a suburb of Houston, but  I can't remember what it was or any details around it.  My FTO was a blur that involved hundreds of calls.  I only remember the big events.  I know I was carrying a glock 17 because a 9mm glock was mandatory for new officers.

One of my first arrests that I can remember invovled a pursuit following some Hondurans that were just involved in a home invasion gone bad that ended in shooting.  They crashed out in a cul-de-sac near a large city park in the next city over.  I was able to chase one through the pitch black park grounds with two other officers.  It was like a pack of lions closing in on a gazelle - pretty fun!  The guys had a couple pounds of weed in their vehicle, a pimped out Beretta 92, a revolver, and an SKS.  We later received a service ribbon for it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#9]
A 15 year old kid on Ft. Bragg for B&E in 1997. I carried an Army issued Beretta M9 with no bullet in the chamber because thats what they make MP's do. Maybe they can carry one in the chamber now god I hope so, but we couldn't back then.

I remember the first hand full just because I was new to it and it was all very exciting. After the excitement went away, so did remembering it all.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
In 1990 for a FTA had a smith 686  .357
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A 15 year old kid on Ft. Bragg for B&E in 1997. I carried an Army issued Beretta M9 with no bullet in the chamber because thats what they make MP's do. Maybe they can carry one in the chamber now god I hope so, but we couldn't back then.

I remember the first hand full just because I was new to it and it was all very exciting. After the excitement went away, so did remembering it all.

I always thought that was a myth

I hope you're right!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#12]
In Texas, Class C Assault - Family Violence / UCW / Evading. Carried a Glock 22 but got to use my pepper spray!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:32:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Robbery with force or fear (felony), Beretta 96 .40 s&w.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 2:37:56 PM EDT
[#14]
August 1994, Bedford-Stuyvesant Brooklyn, Assault 3rd Degree, Sig 226
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#15]
One rarely arrests in MP because among other things, to do so, releases a person from duty. At the very least, I can't recall a situation where we actually placed someone under arrest.

Closest? Late 80's, one Marine had put a knife, non fatally, into another Marine on the NE coast of CONUS. He was taken down and restrained with HtH (no guns) before our cuffs. The Marine CO took charge of him and had him immediately transferred to the brig at Quantico.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
One rarely arrests in MP because among other things, to do so, releases a person from duty. At the very least, I can't recall a situation where we actually placed someone under arrest.

Closest? Late 80's, one Marine had put a knife, non fatally, into another Marine on the NE coast of CONUS. He was taken down and restrained with HtH (no guns) before our cuffs. The Marine CO took charge of him and had him immediately transferred to the brig at Quantico.

For the military guys - no such thing as double jeopardy when you're active, right?  I.E. you step on your dick in civilian life, you can be fisted by the military too - yes?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 3:19:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:For the military guys - no such thing as double jeopardy when you're active, right?  I.E. you step on your dick in civilian life, you can be fisted by the military too - yes?

In a matter of speaking, yes..........but then again, what you just described occurs in civilian life as well. Ie, you are talking about different juristictions.

Let's say civilian Jack kills FBI agent Jill in hometown, state of home, USA. The prosecutor of hometown can try Jack under the statutes of the state of home. Okay, say Jack gets 50 years. If there is a Federal statute for killing an employee of the Federal gov't, then the Federal prosecutor can also take Jack to trial for the same act.......but it is a different offense because it is under a different juristiction.......and no double jeopardy results.

A case I had in the Navy. A servicemember was writing bad checks. The county attorney went after them. Now, the Navy, at least then, cannot force one to pay their bills. What they can do, however, is come after someone if their actions are showing a discredit on the Navy. Which is what we did when we went after them with the UCMJ and threw them into a Correctional Custody Unit (CCU) for three weeks. CCU's are a more intense bootcamp experience to try to recover sailors.

The textbook double whammy for military is getting tossed into jail and then when they get back, being written up for an unauthorized absence while they were serving that time.

But with the military, there is another catch which goes in part to why we usually don't arrest. Often the offenses that one might be written up for results in Non judicial punishment. NJP covers a lot and it is too much to go into here, but essentially, since double jeopardy applies to judicial and NJP isn't, there is another reason why double jeopardy does not occur.

But what if it was not NJP but court martial. Say a servicemember rapes a civilian out in town. Off hand, I would say that one is still looking at the difference between local juristiction and federal juristiction, though I'm not entirely sure if the latter, on the charge of rape, would hold if the victim is a civilian on civilian lands. Probably should ask a lawyer for that one. Of course, there is still that charge of bringing discredit to the service.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#18]
It was my first day in the field, August 2005, East Los Angeles, arrested a suspect/parolee for burglary after he ran and hid from us. Was carrying a Beretta 92 at the time, a couple of weeks later switched to a Glock 22.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 3:42:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Lets see... around spring 1991 in SE Alabama at first dept.  I think it was 2 guys trying to cash a stolen check at a store.  One tried to run, I caught him and he had some crack in his pocket.  I thought I was the shit for a little bit after that, until one of the shift sgts. told me to do the apperwork and I did'nt know where to start since I was on FTO and being my first or second day on the street.  Was carrying a Gen1 Glock 19, as we couldn't carry anything else at that agency.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 4:33:39 PM EDT
[#20]
1995 Houston, TX,  Unlawful carry of a concealed handgun, Beretta 92FS, traffic stop, pistol unloaded in case on backseat floorboard, loaded mag in seat back pocket, vinyl prints very well.

Oh, and I was the arrestee not the arrestor.  

EDIT: sorry, thought I was in GD, hope its alright I posted this in here. My only arrest matched the thread title so well I couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A 15 year old kid on Ft. Bragg for B&E in 1997. I carried an Army issued Beretta M9 with no bullet in the chamber because that's what they make MP's do. Maybe they can carry one in the chamber now god I hope so, but we couldn't back then.

I always thought that was a myth

I hope you're right!

At the time I really didn't know any better. But after doing that for a few years, you figure out how it works. Basically everyone leaves the PMO...(police station) and locks and loads. We weren't supposed to but even the supervisors were doing it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Disorderly while intoxicated.    I was carrying a 2nd gen Glock 22, which I later sold to another officer (who is still carrying it) to buy a 3rd gen.

The funny thing is her name was the same as Dr Phil's wife, and her birthday was the same as my moms (month, day, and year).

Oh, and she did not have a shirt or bra on
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#23]
While in field training, June of 1973, Disorderly Conduct in the Central District of Baltimore City and I was carrying a S&W Model 10 with a 4" Heavy Barrel. Damn I feel old
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#24]
@Ironnewt damn you are old
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 1:14:13 AM EDT
[#25]
DUI in bush Alaska...............carrying a Glock 21.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 2:37:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Summer 2003, parking lot of a bar, PI and PCS, Glock 22
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:07:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Oh God!  Let's see if I can get the memory cells in my brain dusted off.  Hmmm.......... April 1983.  Disorderly Conduct (bar fight) S&W Mod.: 67 Stainless .38 Special wheel gun.  Guam USA!
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:13:13 AM EDT
[#28]
first arrest assault/family violence Dec 1998.  at the time smith and wesson 5906 9mm
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 4:07:03 AM EDT
[#29]
April 2008. Public Intoxication and I carry a Glock 22. I arrested the same guy again Christmas Eve for FTA on my original arrest and a Possession of Marijuana warrant.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Oct 17th 1999 (my hire date was the 13th). Parole Violation (blue warrant) for poss. c/s. I was carrying a G22. My FTO (now Chief) was and still is carrying a Sig 229.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#31]
OWI 1st Offense, can't remember the day...probably 2006 or 2007 though.

Carrying a Px4 in .40.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 11:16:05 AM EDT
[#32]
New Jersey 1979. Bank parking lot. Arrested a bank robber. I was unarmed. In fact, I was not even a police officer.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I was so damn nervous my first day out I can barely remember anything from it.  I was 22, with my FTO, I think we snatched up some drunk bum at a bus stop for Public Intox, I was carrying a Sig 220.  I have since switched to a Glock 21SF.  I'll remember every gun I carry, but quickly forget arrests unless it was unique in some way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Well, the post above was my first arrest on my own.

My "real" first arrest was an active burglary in progress at a restaurant that my FTO and I found while we were out driving around.

Was carrying the Px4 then to.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 6:28:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@Ironnewt damn you are old

Thanks a lot, but it beats the alternative.I also remember my first drug case, My partner and I locked a guy up on a warrant for VOP and he wanted his coat. I checked it and found a set of works and two bindles of heroin. First traffic citation was to a cab driver who had picked up a shooter at the scene of the incident and would not tell us where he dropped him off. I ended up writting some BS citation relative to his registration card and lack of a change of address and as soon as I was done he told us right where he dropped the guy off. He told me at Court that he didn't want to be seen as co-operating with the 'Man' I got the charges dropped in court.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:42:57 AM EDT
[#36]
DUI, March 1998.  First night on my own, been out of the building maybe 20 minutes when the guy almost hit me.  I had told myself that I was going to spend the first half of the shift just driving around and trying to get to know the district, but that went out the window.

Glock 22, 2nd gen.  Still carrying it, although it has since gotten new Trjicons, a new recoil spring, and a new slide stop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#37]
I can't remember my first arrest and my 007's are MIA after several moves, but my sidearm was a S&W mod. 64,  S/N-7D42542. I memorized the S/N so I wouldn't need to remove the grips each time we qualified. The S/N was required on the qualification reports. This was in the summer of 1982. ETA date
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Don't remember my first arrest, but I'm sure it was in Frankfurt Germany in 1991 and I was carrying a 1911 in a leather flap holster.  Most arrests over there were for beating the old lady at home, your buddies at the club or just being drunk and stupid in public.  I hated giving up Old Slab Sides for that Italian POS we later got stuck with.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:19:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Sept 1982 Ft Lauderdale - Model 66
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#41]
My first arrest was in January 2007 in Houston, TX. I was carrying a Glock 22. A sergeant checked by to translate on an accident scene where the guy at fault only spoke Spanish. Well, that guy also didn't have a driver's license or insurance so the sergeant ordered me to arrest him. In Texas, virtually all traffic offenses are arrestable.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#42]
1985, traffic stop, parole violation, central Georgia and I was wearing a stainless S&W 686.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Novemberish 1999 Dalton,Ohio, DUS/FRA, Glock 22 Uncle Mikes holster.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:09:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I have enjoy this conversation fom time to time so when did you make your first arrest, what was the nature of the offense, and what gun were you carrying when you made the arrest and where were you?

My first arrest occurred in December 1998 in Barrow, Alaska. The offense was an Assault in the Fourth Degree DV.  I was carrying one of my Glock Model-22 and it was damn cold outside.

Do you work there year round, even during the dark part of the year? How is that? What do you guys drive? Barrow is practically on a ice sheet right?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#45]
March 2008. Right off FTO. Wrote a girl for a stop sign in the City of Buffalo, NY and she took the summons, threw in the front seat, and gunned it nearly running over my cover officer and hitting a vehicle passing us on the left. Arrested her after a brief pursuit there after for reckless operation and obstruction. Glock model 19. Yes, I'm a newb
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:37:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Suspicious persons call.  Two guys walking around selling magazines.  First day on FTO, first call out the gate.  Turns out one guy had a Felony warrant for Agg Assault with Great Bodily Injury (or something like that) out of Florida.  Confirmed it, and the guy cried the whole way to jail.

G22, my 2nd hand gun and the first gun I ever shot in competition with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 11:01:01 PM EDT
[#47]
I don't recall my first arrest. My first sidearm was a   Ruger GP100.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:01:42 AM EDT
[#48]
June 1978. Warrant hit on a traffic stop. Carrying my new Smith Model 28. Bought it on letterhead, and paid $178.00 for it at Bailey's house of guns in Houston.
Man...lots of water under the bridge since then...
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 1:43:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Felony DWI in 1989. I carried a Smith and Wesson model 66 .357 magnum.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#50]
It was April 1994 in Oklahoma.  Bar fight with a Public Intoxication involved.  The suspect was running his head the whole time that I got him into cuffs and I was shitting myself trying not to screw up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top