Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2002 6:33:57 AM EDT
i've just recently graduated from the reserve academy, and started working with my department at nights. i've come to realize from other res. ofc's., and just by the looks of complete discontent from our regulars that reserves are more or less considered big pieces of crap. we have a fairly big dept. and the reserves have their own units, so it's not like it's some small hick town place.

of course their are some that are nice, but i just feel a bit weird when i walk into the station.  

do most full timers out there think reserves are a joke?

i'm really confused! i joined our unit because i take law enforcement seriously, and wanted to help out/be part of the dept whether it being an extra set of eyes on a stop, or just plain 'ol helping out with paper work.

come to find out that a lot of these guys come from the reserves.

maybe somebody can shed some light on this for me.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Heck, you have to start somewhere, I was a reserve for a small village before I got hired on the dept I work for now.  We all do the same job and should respect each other equally for it.  
[soapbox]
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#2]
well i hope that it's just a few here & there that have issues, & hopefully the majoriy have a simular view things as yourself.

maybe since i'm the new guy, i'm just overly paranoid or something. i do know that there's a few regs that i've been warned to stay clear of.

i was just getting concerned that it was the norm to take a dislike to the reserves. was starting to wonder what hell i got myself into.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#3]
we have 4 reserves and all are treated just like everyone else
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 12:37:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't worry about what "everybody" thinks.  Do your job, work hard and back up the people you work with and they will respect you whether you are a reserve, a rookie, or a veteran.  Cops like to gripe.  Most of the time it helps kill the boredom that comes between the hot runs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 8:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
A reserve officer ofr regular officer backing me up in a bad situation is still a welcome site.  We have a reserve officer in my district that kicks butt.  I look forward to the time he is on.  So it is only that officer who puts forward the best foot, thats the best that can be done.  Be the best officer you can be, that is all that can be asked.  Don't give anyone fuel for the fire.

There are Officers who will bitch, but they will about everything.  Dont' pay attention to that.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:21:29 AM EDT
[#6]
thanks for all the insight everyone!

i'm glad to hear that it's not as bad as i was lead to believe. i tell ya, i heard some real horror stories (probably exagerated no doubt).

but amen to the advise of not "giving anyone fuel for the fire". i always try to keep that in mind myself.

cheers!
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be glad to have ANY additional officers work on my shift...Reserve or not.  Identify those Officers and Supervisors who have the same attitude and devote your time to them.  Soon...all the "non-believers" will realize how much of a positive impact you and the Reserve Program adds to the work load reduction and may very well change their attitude.

Good luck
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Started out as a non paid officer myself and not that I have been doing this full time for awhile.  I know the advantages of having a reserve program but also know some of the disadvantages.

Word of advice, find out who will work with you and who will help guide you, stick with those guys!  Use caution around those who distain nonpaid officers.  Never fail to backup anyone no matter if they like you or not.  If called to back someone up, be the cover officer until asked to do otherwise.  Don't be nosy or jump into someone's call or stop unless they ask you.  They will come to respect you, if you allow them to do their job.  Again, find an officer or several who will show you the in and outs of being a good field officer, pick their brain, watch them work and soak up everything you can.

As always, were a vest, carry a backup gun and never stop looking to improve yourself!
Who dares - Wins!
STAY ALERT - STAY ALIVE!!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#9]
sounds like some pretty damn good advise to me, i'll do just that.

gotta tell ya though, i don't know how much longer i'm going to stay in the reserve unit. i think i'm going into LE full time, i'm having the time of my life. i just love this sh#t!

thanks!
Link Posted: 1/29/2002 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know how it is where you're at but in my area a lot of guys have gone from reserve to full time.  I won't repeat the good advice that several have already given but always remember that a good cop is a good cop, paid or not.  Buzzy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top