Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 2:52:44 PM EDT
How do you tell the difference between a "0" and an "O" on a license plate?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#1]
the "O" is generally wider, and depending on the state where it is on the plate. NJ is 3 letters, 2 numbers, and 3 letter.

I always wanted to get a plate for my bike that was a combo of B's and 8's, and O's and 0's. I Actually saw an Audi with it once, I could barely tell what it was from a close following distance, let alone if it sped by me.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I think texas doesnt use O's, just 0's. Now that i think about it I honestly cant remember which it is and I have run thousands of plates, I just know that one of them is left off of plates.

Its the same thing with VIN's. They dont use certain numbers or letters to make it less confusing.

I bet it would take an auto theft guy to tell you what it is specifically though. Those guys can also tell you that all chevy VINS start with blank blank blank, and all dodge VINS starting before year XXXX and ending after year XXXX will have blank blank blank in the VIN digit.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think texas doesnt use O's, just 0's. Now that i think about it I honestly cant remember which it is and I have run thousands of plates, I just know that one of them is left off of plates.

Its the same thing with VIN's. They dont use certain numbers or letters to make it less confusing.

I bet it would take an auto theft guy to tell you what it is specifically though. Those guys can also tell you that all chevy VINS start with blank blank blank, and all dodge VINS starting before year XXXX and ending after year XXXX will have blank blank blank in the VIN digit.

Or just enthusiasts. I can tell you a lot from a Firebird's or a Camaro's VIN.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Texas uses only the number ZERO on license plates.

Yeah, I remember something about only "1" on VINs, no "I".  

Land Rovers have some interesting alpha strings in their VINs...
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 3:55:52 PM EDT
[#5]
What Dodgecoltracer said.

There is a slight difference in width.  Also, the order of the the letters and numbers.  Here it is 3 numbers then 3 letters.  So that helps.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I should have clarified for Florida plates
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 4:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Usually run both.......

The state is stupid that way. There is minimal difference between the two.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
yep, no O's in Tejas.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#9]
In TX they only use zeros but it doesn't matter if you type in 0 or o it all gets run the same.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Gentlemen, thanks for what you do on a day to day basis, and for your responses in this thread.  Any more specific info from Florida based LEO on FL license tags?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#11]
By order of the license plate is the easiest way.

For car:

# L L L # # #

2ABC456

Or for trucks and commercial vehicles:

# L # # # # #

2F87654
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#12]
For what it is worth Maryland does not use the letter "O" only the numeric Zero "0"
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:54:42 PM EDT
[#13]
no zero in MO..... only "O"-ocean.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#14]
They use both in Ohio...   sometimes people will spell words on personalized plates with a "0" instead of "O"   ( like BL00PER ).   I just run it one way, tell them the description and try it the other way if it doesn't come back right.     Ohio's are either AA11BB or AAA1111, unless it's personalized.

I like the idea of B80O80B       I'm bad enough getting K's C's and Q's mixed up when they are in the same plate number
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Gentlemen, thanks for what you do on a day to day basis, and for your responses in this thread. Any more specific info from Florida based LEO on FL license tags?

Florida tags don't have an O, only a 0(zero).
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

They use both in Ohio... sometimes people will spell words on personalized plates with a "0" instead of "O" ( like BL00PER ). I just run it one way, tell them the description and try it the other way if it doesn't come back right. Ohio's are either AA11BB or AAA1111, unless it's personalized.

I like the idea of B80O80B
I'm bad enough getting K's C's and Q's mixed up when they are in the same plate number

Saw one a while back that was something like WWMMWM. It was absolute HELL to try to read from more than a few feet away.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:32:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Gentlemen, thanks for what you do on a day to day basis, and for your responses in this thread. Any more specific info from Florida based LEO on FL license tags?

This is the correct answer. A better question is how do you tell a "Q" from a "0" at 75 MPH when they are traveling in the opposite direction?
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:59:18 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Quoted:

They use both in Ohio... sometimes people will spell words on personalized plates with a "0" instead of "O" ( like BL00PER ). I just run it one way, tell them the description and try it the other way if it doesn't come back right. Ohio's are either AA11BB or AAA1111, unless it's personalized.

I like the idea of B80O80B

I'm bad enough getting K's C's and Q's mixed up when they are in the same plate number

Saw one a while back that was something like WWMMWM. It was absolute HELL to try to read from more than a few feet away.

Throw an N or two in for good measure.

ETA: No O's in WI either, their all 0's

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:22:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Ohio basically doesn't use O's.  Also, for the most part, unless its its a personalized plate, 99 percent of our plates follow 1 of two templates.  They're either:

Letter, Letter, Letter, Number, Number, Number, Number      or
Letter, Letter, Number, Number, Letter, Letter
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:45:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone for your responses.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

As a dispatcher (former?) vanilla probably knows better than me. I know that if I call a tag in it doesn't matter if I call them a "0" or "o", the tag comes back either way. I know if I type it into the state database as a "0" or "o" the difference doesn't matter. Whether they are all "o" or all "0" it makes no difference. And yes, I am in FL.

ETA: FWIW I have seen tags that have a O character in a position that would typically indicate a alpha character in the normal alpha/numeric sequence.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:02:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
In TX they only use zeros but it doesn't matter if you type in 0 or o it all gets run the same.

lol, I've probably been doing it wrong for years and didnt know better because the computer fixes it for me! I dont ever  remember putting an "0" in the computer for a plate return though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Ohio basically doesn't use O's.  Also, for the most part, unless its its a personalized plate, 99 percent of our plates follow 1 of two templates.  They're either:

There are a lot of them up here...    a lot of EOE, EOM, EON, ROM, prefixes.

I actually stopped a woman a few weeks back because I read her plate as EON#### instead of EOM... of course the wrong one came back to a guy with a warrant from this area, expired tags (< 1 year) and a suspended license.     I couldn't tell it was an N until I looked at it from two feet away because the plate had a dent in it on the third leg of the "M" and the reflective surface was damaged.      She was very understanding  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:14:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a lot of them up here...    a lot of EOE, EOM, EON, ROM, prefixes.

I actually stopped a woman a few weeks back because I read her plate as EON#### instead of EOM... of course the wrong one came back to a guy with a warrant from this area, expired tags (< 1 year) and a suspended license.     I couldn't tell it was an N until I looked at it from two feet away because the plate had a dent in it on the third leg of the "M" and the reflective surface was damaged.      She was very understanding  

BTDT

There's a Deputy here that stopped a guy for a headlight out.

"Sir, I'm Deputy ______ the reason I stopped you today is you have a headlight out"

Guy:  "Yep, and so do you"

<looks back at squadcar>

<Hands back DL>

Alright sir, you get yours fixed I'll get mine fixed and we'll call it a deal.  Have a nice night"

Definitely one of those "D'oh" moments.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:26:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:

also believed this...
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 11:54:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a dispatcher (former?) vanilla probably knows better than me. I know that if I call a tag in it doesn't matter if I call them a "0" or "o", the tag comes back either way. I know if I type it into the state database as a "0" or "o" the difference doesn't matter. Whether they are all "o" or all "0" it makes no difference. And yes, I am in FL.

ETA: FWIW I have seen tags that have a O character in a position that would typically indicate a alpha character in the normal alpha/numeric sequence.

I don't know which system the OP is using, but FCIC also doesn't differentiate between the two. In other words, if you enter an O, it's still read as a 0.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 1:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There's a Deputy here that stopped a guy for a headlight out.

"Sir, I'm Deputy ______ the reason I stopped you today is you have a headlight out"

Guy:  "Yep, and so do you"

<looks back at squadcar>

<Hands back DL>

Alright sir, you get yours fixed I'll get mine fixed and we'll call it a deal.  Have a nice night"

Definitely one of those "D'oh" moments.

Still nothing that beats that poor cop on that YouTube vid that stopped that guy on a slope and then forgot to engage his parking brake... byebye squadcar.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:00:28 PM EDT
[#28]
no oceans in TX  :D

gotta love the headlights.  those always have wings on them though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:01:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
no zero in MO..... only "O"-ocean.

The older plates in MO used zeros.  Not sure about the newer ones.

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:10:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Florida does not use O, only 0.  Saves a lot of confusion
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:16:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
By order of the license plate is the easiest way.

For car:

# L L L # # #

2ABC456

Or for trucks and commercial vehicles:

# L # # # # #

2F87654

You must be in Kalifornia.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 9:51:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Texas doesn't use the letter "I" or "O" on lp's.  My deaprtment uses the phonetic alphabet so I was taught in the academy "there are no Ida's or Ocean's in Texas".  But still us b's and 8's.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top