Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/15/2002 11:21:57 PM EDT
has anybody atended the us customs school @ glenco, whos the PT and the school work???
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
What exactly are you asking? Do you mean for 1811 criminal investigators? or for Customs inspectors? Big difference. The customs inspectors can opt out of PT, what a joke.

All 1811 classes are similar, some even intigrated with other agencies.

The toughest federal LEO training down there is Border Patrol without a doubt.

Link Posted: 1/16/2002 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#2]
i am talking about Customs inspectors.
Link Posted: 1/16/2002 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Joe:

I haven’t been through the school and, frankly, don’t know anything about it.  I can tell you FLETC is hell during the summer because of the heat, humidity and carnivorous insects; don’t go then if you can avoid it.  Also, bring a car, even if you have to drive half way across the country to do it.  

You probably already know this, but I found it on their website:

Program Title: UNITED STATES CUSTOMS SERVICE INTEGRATED (USCSI)

Program Description: Customs Inspectors are trained in the knowledge and skills required to accomplish the U.S. Customs Service (USCS) mission. The program is taught jointly by the USCS and the FLETC staffs. Included in the portion of the program taught by the FLETC staff are basic law enforcement subjects such as; Behavioral Science, Bombs and Explosives, Narcotics, Firearms, and Physical Training. These subjects encompass approximately 30% of the program.
The remaining 70% of the program is taught by the USCS staff. Subject areas include; Examination of Baggage and Merchandise, Passenger Processing, and the Detection of Contraband (including narcotics and other dangerous drugs). Other courses cover proper Search and Seizure, Arrest Authority and Techniques, Entry and Control Procedures, Enforcement of USCS Codes and over 40 other Federal Agency Laws.

Length of Training: 52 class days

Prerequisites for Attendance: Enrollment nominations for the Customs Inspector Basic Training Program should be submitted through the Regional Training Officer to the Director of the USCS Academy. The program is designed for Customs Inspectors in grades GS-5/7. Other personnel requiring cross-training are considered on a space-available basis.

Sorry I couldn’t help more.
Link Posted: 1/19/2002 6:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are half way decent shape and have a decent IQ, you will have NO problem with the inspectors school.

Like I said earlier the PT is so easy if you want to do it. I saw some inspector students who were obviously over weight and out of shape and they seemed to be still around after a few weeks.

The classwork is basic LEO stuff. Nothing to fear.  

If you go in the summer you are looking at VERY HOT AND HUMID weather. You will think you are walking through a fog of humidity.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
FLETC isn't too bad from an academic standpoint. Paying attention in class and a little studying will see you through. PT isn't bad unless you get one of the instructors that likes to run. Follow the previous advice about a vehicle. Several of my classmates flew in and were basically stranded. Weekends can get really boring if you stay on campus. You're less than 30 minutes from the beach. Not the best beaches, but they'll do.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FLETC isn't too bad from an academic standpoint. Paying attention in class and a little studying will see you through. PT isn't bad unless you get one of the instructors that likes to run. Follow the previous advice about a vehicle. Several of my classmates flew in and were basically stranded. Weekends can get really boring if you stay on campus. You're less than 30 minutes from the beach. Not the best beaches, but they'll do.  
View Quote

They pay you all that money to go to the beach, those beaches are fine by me![:D]

And yes drive there. No matter what drive. You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 7:54:07 PM EDT
[#7]
LE6920:

What program did you go through?
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 12:22:21 PM EDT
[#8]
The hardest thing about the classwork @ FELTC is staying awake... even the 1811 classes.  Still, study for the first exam and gauge the rest off of that.  They'll always tell you that the one coming up is the toughest.

The demands of the fit programs depend first, on your agency (you'll have NO problems for customs) and second, the time of year you attend.

Enjoy yourself.
Link Posted: 1/24/2002 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
...  The demands of the fit programs depend first, on your agency (you'll have NO problems for customs) ...
View Quote

I don’t know anything about Customs PT requirements.  

However, their firearms qualification requirement is higher than FLETC’s.  

Customs minimum requirement, if I recall correctly, is something like a 240 (80%) while FLETC’s minimum requirement is only a 210 (70%).  FLETC uses the agency standard for agency students if it is higher than it’s own and the agency requests it.

(However, this isn’t an issue if you know the right people.  Several years ago a CIS (Criminal Investigator School) student from Customs could make the FLETC firearms qualification requirement but not the higher Customs requirement.  Customs lowered its qualification requirement for the entire agency for one day, she graduated, and then the original standard was reinstated.  I have absolutely no recollection where I learned this.)    

Bumper sticker at FLETC convenience store: “Happiness is FLETC in your rear view mirror”.

Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
However, their firearms qualification requirement is higher than FLETC?s.  

Customs minimum requirement, if I recall correctly, is something like a 240 (80%) while FLETC?s minimum requirement is only a 210 (70%).  FLETC uses the agency standard for agency students if it is higher than it?s own and the agency requests it.
View Quote

Hopefully, I'll not offend anyone here, but the only people I have ever seen/heard of that shot below 250 were were admin/coop hires that probably wouldn't have been there had they gone through the "normal" hire process.
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#11]

Hopefully, I'll not offend anyone here, but the only people I have ever seen/heard of that shot below 250 were were admin/coop hires that probably wouldn't have been there had they gone through the "normal" hire process.
View Quote

that is 100% correct
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

True, but:

That 210 wasn’t always that easy.  “Gradeflation” has occurred with firearms qualification.  While the 210 or 70% minimum score has pretty much stayed the same, the course and firearms have changed.

When I started with the Federal Government, long ago, the required qualification was slow, timed and rapid fire with bullseye targets, wadcutter bullets, using one hand and cocking the revolver each time.  This was pretty tough.  

I’ll even admit to personally spending a few evenings in the basement range of the Treasury Building (next to the White House) doing remedials (FLETC being in DC at the time).

Treasury then went to the combat PPC, which I felt was easier.  However, it had a 50-yard phase, which was still pretty tough with a 2” Colt Detective Special or a 5-shot S&W.

A few years later the 50-yard requirement was dropped (and the PPC became the MPPC, or Modified PPC).  

Also, more and more, the issued firearm became a K-frame S&W.  And the amount of required weak hand shooting was reduced. Things were getting much easier.  

Further, many agencies went from semi-annual to quarterly qualification, which definitely raised most LEO’s skill level.

And then semi’s were adopted.  I was a range officer during this time and it was like someone had hit a light switch – suddenly everyone qualified the first time!

Certainly nowadays a 210 minimum score is ridiculous.  I think the major thing holding it down now is the possibility of EEO complaints - women are almost certainly going to be disproportionately impacted by any minimum score increase.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:12:23 AM EDT
[#13]
199, somebody is showing their age.  :)

Although I did not go through all that long ago, I was issued a Ruger GP100 (which I was lucky enough to be permitted to ditch as soon as I purchased/qualified with another weapon).  There was no 50 yard quals, but it did have the 12-13lb trigger.  I'll stand by my last statement as to who had the difficulties... and amazingly, those "difficulties" seem to disappear once they graduate. You can read into that how you like.
:)
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What exactly are you asking? Do you mean for 1811 criminal investigators? or for Customs inspectors? Big difference. The customs inspectors can opt out of PT, what a joke.

A joke?

Customs 1811 academy is a joke physically, as PT is done "at your own pace", with most going to the gym and fooling around with weights..

Take it from someone who went to the USMS Academy..
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 2:52:21 AM EDT
[#15]
I want join the Border Patrol, but a bad parachute accident ended my 12 year military career.  Will my extreem slowness in running bump me out of the course? Need all the info I can get to make an informed decision.  The job I have now while not the greatest is a job, and dont want to leave it only to get dropped in the first couple of weeks for PT failure.

Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Get out and run the fit test... not just the run.  You should do the run after diong the pushups and situps.  If you can meet the "good" standards for your age group tht should giv you enough of a buffer above the minimum so that you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

You don't get bumpbed for poor pt performance during training.  You get bumped for not meeting the minimums on the actual fit test.  Just so your best on the day to day fit and they really can't slam you too hard... they focus more on the slackers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:12:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
LE6920:

What program did you go through?
View Quote

CITP 1811 and agency basic. (not customs)

You didn't happen to just transfer out of DC did you?
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Customs 1811 academy is a joke physically, as PT is done "at your own pace", with most going to the gym and fooling around with weights..

Take it from someone who went to the USMS Academy..
View Quote

LawDogKMS, When did you go through CI and BDUSM?

You mean when you saw all those Customs guys riding the exercise bike or "walking" around the track it made you wonder why you were covered in mud and dead tired [:p]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:12:41 PM EDT
[#19]
LE6920:

Not from DC. Long-time resident of East Tennessee.
Link Posted: 2/11/2002 11:31:05 PM EDT
[#20]
thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top