Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2009 7:25:00 PM EDT
Does it draw your attention when someone is going well UNDER the speed limit?

Reason I ask is, since I obtained my carry license, I pretty much CCW all the time while driving.

Ohio is FAMOUS for speed traps, and my commute to my job every day takes me past several very popular ones that the police (both local and state) frequently have "loaded."

The law requires me to inform any officer who stops me of the fact that I am armed (they will know I am licensed to carry when they run my plate of course, which I believe causes their monitor screen to flash red), and I really DO NOT want to get into a discussion with a police officer about "why" I am carrying.  I realize that most cops are probably supportive of right to carry laws like ours, but you know, knowing my luck I would get stopped by the one gun hating cop in the entire state.  I guess I just don't want the hassle.

Therefore, since I became licensed to carry, I have become the world's safest driver.  In zones where the speed limit is 45 MPH or above, I will generally drive about five miles per hour UNDER the limit.  In zones under 45 MPH, I will drive at or slighlty under the limit.

I also practice "conditional driving" a lot - meaning I will drive slower at night time, or in bad weather.

A lot of times I will pass a speed trap going well under the speed limit, and I feel that "tingling" sensation like I know the cop is watching me and probably wondering why I am being so safe.  Does that make you guys suspicious when you see that?

Just curious.

I have utmost respect for LEOs and I am very pro law and order (despite my avatar - I just like that movie is all).

Thanks for any thoughts/feedback.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#1]
it could, driving under the speed limit is often a sign of a drunk driver, especially at night. Am i gonna look at you if you are doing 5 under, likely not. slow down to 10 under and you caught my attention, LOL.

As for carrying and having to inform an officer of that its like that in alot of places. That said I do not personally  know of a single cops, my self included that has a problem with a lawful citizen CCW. If you get one that is an ass about it, follow the rules and there is nothing they can legally do.

Hope this kinda helps

J-
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Going well over or well under the limit will bring attention. Having said that, I don't think that 5mph over or under would fall under the category of "well."

If it seems like everyone in front of you is in your way you may be going to fast.

If you look in the rear view mirror and there is a long line of vehicles behind you waiting their turn to pass you may be going to slow.

Your best bet is to simply drive with the flow of traffic.

Why you carry is most likely of little interest to the officer who is more likely to be interested in if you are legally carrying.

You will find that the longer you carry the less you will be worried about it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:13:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
5 under? Probably not in most places.

10-15 under, especially on the highway? Maybe more suspicious.

+1

The guy that won't pass you when you are driving below the speed limit = suspicious.

The guy at the four way stop that is "being nice" and waiving you to go first so you don't end up behind him = suspicious.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, a couple miles under won't really register, but if you look like your driving slow, thats gonna set off some bells and whistles. My personal advice is just set the cruise control, if you have it, or drive the posted speed. Everyone sees a patrol car and gets nervous your not alone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top