Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2009 4:29:28 AM EDT
Without boring you with details, I will give a brief description of my situation: I recently applied to my local police academy, i passed the placement test with no issues and i am confident that my application is high quality.  I just have one concern that i wanted to get some feedback on.  I got this job when i turned 19 selling cell phones, it was a fun job at the mall.  Well they had been having some problems with theft long before i came there.  so after about 6 months of being employed there i noticed they took almost 200 dollars from every employees paycheck that month because they said thats their new policy when items are missing from the store.  Well i was not happy about it and told them i had no part in the theft and would take a polygraph and i wanted my money back. Well that didnt happen and they basically told me to live with it. They took the same amount as before from my next 2 paychecks.  So i felt kinda stuck i bought a brand new car so i couldnt just quit without another job.  So one day after receiving my check with the inventory discrepancy amount taken out again,  I got mad and thought well i will show them and i sold a faceplate under the table to some random lady and kept the ten bucks,  I know there were probably a thousand better ways to handle the situation, but i didnt use any of those options.  Well the next day my conscience got the better of me and i put the money back in the register and i felt absolved.  Little did i know that this item that i sold was defective and she took it to one of our sister stores and she explained what happend to them.  well they ended up firing me obviously.  I think i learned alot from that experience.  two wrongs dont make a right type of thing.  This happend about 8years ago and have subsequently never been fired from any other jobs.  So do you think this will hinder me in anyway in the selection process.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I have a clean record
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:57:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If thats the most negative thing about you then you have nothing to worry about, just be honest about it.  I've done quite a few interviews and have seen some applications where way worse has been done.  Try to relax, be yourself and be honest, and you'll have nothing to worry about!
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 4:57:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If this happened, as you have explained it, I really don't see much of a problem. You made a mistake and you tried to make it right. You knew you were doing wrong but have learned your lesson. Police departments know they aren't going to get angles who have never made a mistake in life, the question is can they trust you now. If if comes up and you tell the story you should be alright. Not telling the story and having to explan later, after you have been hired or later in the process, will make them feel you are trying to hide other things from them. Being upfront will show maturity and taking responsibility for your actions. Departments want officers with integrity. Lack of integrity can destroy, not only an officer, but an entire department and integrity is key.  

Alot can be forgiven when your upfront with things, not so much if its found out later.

MPD165
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:34:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That won't bat an eye compared to the other backgrounds you're up against.  There are some agencies that would DQ you for something like that, but then that's a place you'd rather not work for.

+1

Be honest.  You will get it or you will not.

The police background interview is the "old good boy system."   If they like you, you are in.  If they do not like you, you're not in.  It will have almost nothing to do about what happen 10 years ago when you were a minor or 18 yrs old.

So if you do not get in, screw it.  that department was not for you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 7:51:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you sue them for your $600.00 back?They can't take money from your paycheck without  a court order,or your permission.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top