Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2009 10:53:18 PM EDT
First, background:

I'm currently in the LEO academy, though not hired on with an agency. When I am trained and graduate, I will basically be a free agent, ready to go to nearly any agency in Florida. Problem is, I can't leave here.
Family commitments are forcing me to remain where I am, at least for a while.

Now, I am currently a dispatcher, and have been for coming up on 9 years. This has given me a great perspective on the job of a cop, since I go out of my way to work and learn with the intention of becoming an LEO. When it comes to the day-to-day cop stuff, I'm way ahead of my class, and my work has done a great job of educating me for what we learn in the academy. With that said, I'm due to graduate in the latter half of this year, and the job market is, well....depressed. There's a LOT more available and quilified people here than there are jobs, and one very large state agency is being faced with layoffs. That's going to be putting experienced, already trained cops out into the job market. I'm quickly becoming certain that I'm not getting a job here anytime soon.

Now, the question:

It has come to my attention that another agency has recently fired their agency full-time armorer for misconduct. The armorer is a non-LEO, civilian position. I'm giving serious thought to applying for this position, not only to play with guns for a living, but I really believe it would be a great resume enhancement. My certification is good for 4 years, so I can bide my time as an armorer, and if push comes to shove, can do time as a reserve in order to maintain certification past that time, at least until the job market comes back around.

Does it sound like I'm on a good track with this line of thinking? Would a civilian armorer really add something good to my resume? Or is it just going to be more filler? If it's a waste of time, I can stay where I'm at, doing what I know and am good at. What say you?
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:44:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Which pays more?  Which would you rather do?  Which has more security?

Many years ago, when dispatch was short due to illness, whatever, I had to fill in some nights as the new guy.  In short it sucked and I really wanted to eat my pistol by the end of the shift.

You have been a dispatcher for 9 years, if it really is doable I think the Armorer gig would be an enhancement both in a LE career and in personal development as they may send you for additional certifications on other weapons.

In short, if it paid more or the same, and was a secure position, I would take the armorer gig.  I think you're on the right track.

Link Posted: 3/25/2009 11:54:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The armorer background would definately catch my eye when reviewing resumes and apps.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 12:17:25 AM EDT
[#3]
The only problem I see is the fact the armorer's position is a civilian position... more likely to be cut due to budget problems.  Can't speak for other agencies, but many of us guys down here are certified firearms instructors and armorers.  Not a big deal to do "double duty" if/when the need arrises.

What goes around comes around, sooner or later, job openings will pop up.  I would stay with what you have -vs- jumping on the armorers gig.  Do you already have the armorer certs?  If not, that means mnore money and time...  if yes, it's a big plus.

Make sure you have put in with EVERY LEO agency within 35 to 40 miles, no matter how big or small.  Just getting "blue-lined" is the ticket.  Too bad you are not down this way, agencies down here seem to hire year-round.

GOOD LUCK and HANG IN THERE!!
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 3:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The only problem I see is the fact the armorer's position is a civilian position... more likely to be cut due to budget problems.  Can't speak for other agencies, but many of us guys down here are certified firearms instructors and armorers.  Not a big deal to do "double duty" if/when the need arrises.

What goes around comes around, sooner or later, job openings will pop up.  I would stay with what you have -vs- jumping on the armorers gig.  Do you already have the armorer certs?  If not, that means mnore money and time...  if yes, it's a big plus.

Make sure you have put in with EVERY LEO agency within 35 to 40 miles, no matter how big or small.  Just getting "blue-lined" is the ticket.  Too bad you are not down this way, agencies down here seem to hire year-round.

GOOD LUCK and HANG IN THERE!!

+1, easier to outsource an armorer than a dispatcher! They don't know what to do unless we tell them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are limiting yourself to a certain type of department.  Have you looked at some the state agencies like Fish & Game, constables, etc.?  There are some smaller departments here in Texas that require both peace officer and EMT certification so EMT school could prove useful.  No department that I know would give two piles of monkey crap about an armorer certification, especially since every single one is only good for 2-3 years.  I know that for sure because I hold 7 different factory level armorer certifications.  Maybe some tiny little PD that can't afford to send someone to a one or two day school might consider that somewhat important, but I don't know of any in my area that would.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top