Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 5:56:47 PM EDT
Are any of you out there School Resourse Officers?
I may take a SRO position in my area and want some insights. Thanks, SK.
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 9:06:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Not an SRO but work for rather large ISD Pd, so I kinda got some good insight.

It depends on how your school is, on how it can go.  If you have a school that is pro police then you will have a good tour of duty but you can have the opposite.  Luckily, if you are going to be assigned to a school, usually those schools have to pay for either in part or whole your salary.  This usually comes from that particular schools budget.  So, if you are there, it is good probability that they are pro police.  Now, you can have school who thinks you
work for them and are there for their every beck
and call.

One of my bud's was assigned to his school over a year ago and when he went in, they told him welcome aboard, now we want you to do this and do that.  He basically said, "No, I am the police officer, I will do as I see fit and do what the law tells me I should do.  I will follow my department guidelines and as such I work for them and report to them.  I am here to work with you not FOR you."  They got the picture very quickly.  We have another officer, who did his job, as he saw fit and did not do the will of the well off ($$$) parents and employees wanted him to do.  Such as - "you can write my child a ticket, I am so and so or I work for so and so".  The officer has been around, quite some time and is very good officer, he did his job too well.  He is now on patrol and enjoying life!

It can be a rewarding position but you may have to set the tone and working relation, especially if they have never had an officer before or if they don't understand why you are there.

Me, I am on night patrol and have no desire to be posted to a school.  Thanks but no thanks.
Good luck.  Let us know how it goes.  Email me and we'll exchange info on departments and such!
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I have passed everything and am starting on Monday. I will be on a 9th grade campus.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 3:03:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Outstanding! Congradulations.
 If I can be of any assistance, let me know.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 5:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top