Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/22/2001 12:17:57 AM EDT
Any info that could be supplied would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2001 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#2]
What sort of advice are you looking for? I would say that any advice would have to be based on some personal info on you and the type of agency (size,location, etc) that you are trying to join.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I'm looking for a general overview of the whole job. With emphasis on what to do to get taken into the program.

This is for the Orange County Sheriffs Department in Southern California. From what I gathered from their web site, you take a written test followed by a small physical evaluation. Obstacle course, 1/4 mile run, push a squad car 10 feet under a certain time, pushups, etc.

I want to know what they "look for". I have no problems with the physical side, and as far as intelligence goes, that’s not an issue either. I want to put every bit of effort into getting in to this job. IF they pick you, they do an extensive background check. Then you go to a 7-month paid academy training course.

I would really rather not get stuck in the jails, but would like to do more patrol/detective work. I guess there are other specialized things you can do to get increased pay such as be on the tactical support team, be an observer on a helicopter, motorcycle pay, etc. Some of those things sound exciting.

So anything anyone could add would be great. Pros, cons, doesn’t matter, I just want some kind of feed back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 10:08:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about Orange COunty. WHat you have said so far sounds pretty standard, except the push the patrol car test. Physical assessments for LE have to be job-related and defensible in court. The pushing the car test doesn't sound like either (pushing cars is why they put buddy bumpers on patrol cars).

As far as the rest of the process, again, I don't know Orange COunty, but what we look for are;
-Demonstrated good judgement (or lack thereof, especially in the background and credit checks). What your former employers have to say is probably of the utmost importance, but if they have negative things to say, and you can document why they are wrong, we usually listen.
-Communications skills. Comunnications skills, Communications skills. Your ability to communicate will keep you out of trouble. Your ability to communicate will keep you out of using force. Your ability to communicate will keep you out of IA. Your ability to communicate will keep the public happy. Your ability to communicate will lead to good cases, good reports, and will allow you (or the investigators) to lock up bad guys. Communications skills and the ability to articulate what you did and why you did it are far more important than the ability to shoot, do martial arts skills or anything else. 95% of your job involves talking to people, and if you can't do that very well (or at least get good at it) you won't be a very good cop. The other five percent is mostly not running into stuff with your patrol car and being able to think quickly under extreme pressure. Those are hard to test for (that is why they have field training programs).

As far as working in the jail goes, that is pretty much par for the course in any sheriff-type agency. If you don't want to work in the jail, try a PD. It is still a good way to get in the door. A lot of officers who work for us worked for SOs for a few years, got their commissions and then made the move to a PD. The jail experience is good for dealing with serious criminals, and gives them some insights that allows them to pick up on when someone is a carreer criminal that officers who haven't worked in a corrections setting wouldn't have.

Good luck, its tough work, but it can be a lot of fun, and when you go home each day, you know you did soemthing good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to be undergoing a some tests for entry into my Sherrifs Dept. as well. I checked out a study book from the local library for Police Officers.

I am going to have to do a 500 yard dash, an 90 yard Obstacle Course, Scale a 6 foot high wall. As well as take written Exams on Grammer, Reading Comprehension, Map Reading, Memorization and "Judgement".

I keep asking myself why do I want to do this job, and it sure isn't the wonderful pay or stress free environment nor is it the wonderful working hours of rotating shifts and the only thing I can think of is that it is challenging, stable and offers a lot of variety in addition to the knowledge that it is job that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/23/2001 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I've worked in two sheriff's departments.  You will probably be doing things that other LEO's won't be doing.  You'll work in a jail, serve civil process, bailiff a court, etc, etc.  At the very least you'll be doing midnights or evenings on patrol with tuesdays and wednesdays off, and to add to the fun the local court system will schedule hearings for domestic violence cases on tuesdays and DUI's on wednesdays [BD].

Don't even think about detective work till you've been there several years, expect to be more involved in cases than a lot of your PD brethern because your SO's detective bureau is a fraction as large as it should be.  Also, if you are involved in a SWAT type team instead of extra pay you'll be giving a lot of your time for free for training or research.

BTW, remember your boss is elected and may only serve four or eight years if there is a term limit.  When the present Sheriff is gone expect CHANGES!

Given all the above I'd only work for an SO guess I like abuse .[%|]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top