Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2001 6:48:58 PM EDT
First let me say I am not a LEO.

I just read VA-gunnut's thread about how LEO would handle it if you stopped an out of state LEO carrying (concealed?) in his/her vehicle. It got me to thinking about an experience I had last Feb. when I went through KS and I had a loaded handgun in my vehicle (and one unloaded and locked in case sans ammo in the back). They searched my vehicle after I answered affirmative to their question as if I had a firearm in the vehicle. For what ever reason they did not see/find the loaded gun which was on the floor behind my seat in a soft, unzipped handgun case, but did find the other one in my suitcase in the back. The end result was the gun they found and I were both clean and they let me go.

After reading the other thread I was wondering if your (the LEO here) actions would be the same as it would be to your brother LEO. Assuming that the person has no CCW/CHL. In other words, if the person you stopped (say they are from out of state like the other thread) had no record, the gun was clean and other than the (minor) violation you originally pulled the person over you had no obvious reason or gut feeling to suspect them of being anything other than a interstate traveler, would you still let let them go without a citation or arrest.

I'm not trying to start a flame war or anything. I'm just curious because when I travel I am inclined to carry for those times I pull into rest stops, pick up the odd hitch-hiker, etc. That was my only experience in that kind of situation and I was wondering if that is the more common SOP among you LEO who are gun owner friendly. (that's why you hang out here, right?)

Edited to add:
For those of us so inclined to run the risk, in your opinions, what would be the best way for us to handle the situation should an officer find we are carrying a firearm in our vehicles not within the written laws.

Thanks for any replies.
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/19/2001 8:13:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Given the circumstances you describe, it all depends on the "vibe" I get from you. If you don't have it in plain view and don't give me a reason to think you may be armed and are polite and cooperative then I have no reason to ask. If something doesn't "feel" right or "look" right then I may be suspicious. If you are a humble traveler only seeking protection from the parasites of the road then you will pass unmolested. If your are a family man guarding the safety of your children then you may go. If your car is covered with militia, anti cop, anti govt. bumper stickers then we might have a problem. If your license plate reads, THG LYF, your windows are blacked out and the bass is thumping hard enough to detonate the primers in my ammo then we could be in a less than compromising situation. Get the picture? If your going to skirt the law don't bring attention to yourself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2001 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#3]
What Sukebe says. Single female with kids traveling alone? No problem.  Wearing gang colors or odor of alcohol?  BIG problem.  As an aside, why risk it?  if you want protection for travel etc, carry a rifle or pistol grip shotgun. Perfectly legal here. Why bother with some punky 9mm when you can have a 12 gauge? My sister's car gun is an M1 carbine with a folding stock. She's quite happy with it, fits nicely into a gym bag.
Link Posted: 12/21/2001 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Living in the south, I expect that 1/3 to 1/2 the cars I stop have a gun in them. I get asked often by Joe citizen what to do because they have a gun in their car when I stop them. I always tell them not to grab it and wave it around and we'll all stay friends. As above, your car, your gun, have a nice trip. Let a fog of pot smoke or smell of alcohol roll out and we'll go further.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Most people think that an Officer's greatest power is that of arrest, I personally feel that that is not so.  An Officers greatest power is that of Discretion.

I alone, in most cases, decide how I am going to enforce any given law, with obvious exceptions such as crimes of violence, direct victim crimes, etc.

It is at this time that discrection, common sense, and the intent of the law have to be taken into consideration before enforcement action is taken.

Others have said it, I'll sum it up...it depends upon the circumstances in which I come upon the weapon, your attitude, and anything else that presents itself at the scene that commands consideration.
Link Posted: 12/25/2001 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Jesus H. Christ. Will the LEOs in this thread apply to become instructors in the acadamy or something? Please?

Good attitude and answers guys. I wish all LEOs had the same attitude about things.
Link Posted: 12/27/2001 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
The standard answer to "May I search your car?", is "Certainly, if you have a warrent or probable cause, otherwise I'd rather you not" (said with a smile and politely)

Although LEO, I can never understand why someone voluntarily gives up their civil liberties...

Flinch
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top