Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2001 12:01:39 PM EDT
Any team members or patrol out there using the HKG36 rifle? Your opinions on the optic.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Our SWAT team uses the G36.  The only comment I've heard about the optics (I'm not on the team) is that they're not really practical for CQB use.  If you use the iron sights instead of the optics, your shot will be 3" low at close range.  Again, this is just what I've heard.

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#2]
We use the G36K with the dual sight system.  The scope lets us get headshots out to 100 yards, while the Hensoldt red dot sight is what we use for CQB.  A little slower to pick up than iron sights, but fine with practice.  I think the better way to go for patrol use is to get the picatinny rail with iron sights on it.  We find the optical sights need to be re-zeroed if they've been bounced around in the back of a patrol car.  The iron-sighted versions should be appreciably cheaper than the ones with the dual sight system.  I wouldn't want one with just the 1.5X scope on it- the field of view is too small, and the eye relief too short.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Sparky,
That's the way we received our K's. Scope optic only. Did we order them that way,....no. We ordered them without the carry handle and optic from our former distributor. After a year and several months we received them with the carry handle and optic at full price. It will be easier for us to reconfigure them than send them back and wait another year for the right ones though.
We intended to use a picatinny rail, Aimpoint or other red dot scope and back up iron sights. We have had no luck finding a rail. Are they being made yet? Need a link if possible.

When we received the rifles from HK the optics adjustment screws were screwed in two turns, barely enough to hold them in. It was a pain to level the cross hairs and sight them in. Limited field of view.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#4]
HK should have a couple of different styles available.  I'd call HK, explain the problem to them and say you want to exchange the scopes for the iron-sighted rails at no cost to your department.  Worth a try.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top