Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2001 6:18:37 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 7:47:15 PM EDT
[#1]
For me its level II. I use the Safariland model 295 for my Glock. The holster is secure, but gives a simple and fast draw. I have been more than pleased, and will be purchasing a new one soon, as the current one is getting pretty "beat up" after 10 years of service.
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2001 8:23:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Safariland III - is the only way to go!  Watch the Ofc. Geeter Video from Carthage Tx, will make a believer out of you.  It converted me.  Won't ever use anything less.

Glock918 is right on target about practice.

Case in point:  drunk bad guy runs in vehicle, crashes, gets out of vehicle and starts to hop fence.  I tell him to stop and get on the ground.  He turns and begins advancing on me with this look on his face of "C'mon, I'll take you."  I unsnap my Colt and go to pull it out.  It won't budge.  I try agian, no go.  Then I remember that I had the new Safariland III on.  I hit the other one and out comes Col. Colt.  BG changes his mind when he gets to greet the HUGE business end of the .45, falls so fast to the ground, he lives a cloud of dust.

PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

Link Posted: 12/15/2001 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Safariland Model 295 nylon look for class B uniform. Model 295 basket weave finish for class A uniform. Safariland produces the best holsters in the industry, and if I didn't use the level II for my 96D, I'd use their level III with confidence. I believe Safariland also makes the best leather gear (simulated leather anyway). Safariland's Zero-G body armor on the other hand comes in second to Second Chance's Monarch series. Bianchi's nylon gear (sans holster) is superior to all others.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#5]
uniform would be level 3, safariland SSIII or the 6004 models with the rotating hood

plainclothes, at least a thumb break

some may disagree, but you can draw just as fast with a thumb break if you practice.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Level zero.  "The purpose of a pistol is to defend against an unexpected attack." I wear a Hoyt thumb break swivel holster.  It allows draw from any position, even while seated in the vehicle.  If I feel that the encounter may escalate to a deadly force incident, the type of holster I have is not paramount, as my .45 is already in my primary hand.

Brad
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
SSIII. I have always been more fearful of being shot with my own gun or another officer's gun than the actual suspect's gun. I've seen too many officers disarmed over the years with low or no threat level holsters. Now eveyone must have at least a Level II and most have Level IIIs.
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:41:56 PM EDT
[#9]

I read somewhere that Uncle Mikes is coming out with a level4 or something like that. All the other features plus an electronic finger print reader to allow authorized use only. I don't know if I would trust my life to that kind of security feature.
View Quote

That will surely be a failure! Sounds good but just isn't reliable. Can other LEOs get the gun out? Does it take batteries? What if I have gloves on?
Link Posted: 12/15/2001 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#10]
It would be useless if you were wearing leather gloves.  But then who wears any kind of gloves on duty? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:25:08 PM EDT
[#11]
i use a Safariland level 3 on duty (issued), and a 6004 for the tac team. I'm considering the 6004 duty model for myself but would have to purchase it myself. I don't prefer the level 3 but have gotten used to it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
A Safariland model 6280 for my Glock. It's a level II, but it gets the gun secured very quickly without having to mess with a snap.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#14]
In one (or 2) words...
SAFARI LAND SS III.
I have used one my entire 13 1/2 years on (with a 1911 inside), and shoot IPSC with it also.
I would not carry a duty weapon in anything but the SS III.
Link Posted: 12/16/2001 11:13:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Yeah, me too.

Not to buck the trend, but I've had a Safariland SSIII holster ever since I've been in uniformed LE...

Used to carry a Glck .40 as a reserve for a few years, and now the Sig .40 for the last six...

I got used to it, it's not hard with practice.  It's like secand nature now.  I wouldn't consider anything else.  Oh, and despite some arguements to the contrary, it is easy to dray from a vehicle with an SSIII.  We train all the time to drae and fire from a seated position within the patrol car (followed by getting out FAST and transitionong up to the rifle or shotgun).

MSH441
Link Posted: 12/17/2001 9:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Level II with thumb break for me. When I wear my leg set up, it's a safariland 6004SLS setup.
Link Posted: 12/18/2001 10:10:20 AM EDT
[#17]
 It has to be the Safariland SSIII. I have had the extremely unpleasant experience of wrestling my Model 64 away from a guy who snatched it on a DUI out of a no security holster.I have also been in tussles in which other officer's guns fell from their holster.
 Myself and another officer fought a large burglar one night and this guy was trying so hard to get my partner's gun that when the fight was over my partner's holster and belt were rotated on him so that his holster was on the front of his body. The SSIII helped us on that one.
 If it was the "good ole days" when you could shoot who you wanted it would be different. Now thugs have the upper hand in the political climate. Anytime I get inside someone's reach to pat them down or whatever, I have my hand on my gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top