Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2008 7:14:49 PM EDT
After nearly 3 months I finally got the call today to come in for my polygraph with the Sheriff's department. Needless to say I have myself pretty freaked out and fired up tonight.

Any advice from the guys who have BT/DT.
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 7:19:16 PM EDT
[#1]
LIE your ass off!!!! j/k....be honest...good luck
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Just remember, they dont know about the hooker you buried in the desert.
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 1:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
"Its not a lie if you believe it."
                        -George Castanza
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 1:21:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Seriously though...

Its a BS test to give an honest person, here's why:

Keep your heart rate, body movements, and breathing consistent. If you move around, if you change the way you breath, if you do anything but just sit there the damn machine registers deception. You could be answering truthful but if your body isn't consistent ...BAM ...you're done. Breathing, moving around, heart rate seems like stuff you automatically do but when your in the chair you will actually be thinking about them. Try not to.

Be almost cocky/calm/confident/respectful/TRUTHFUL/consistent, and you will do fine.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#5]
what a stupid test, i cant believe they still use those things.
Link Posted: 9/24/2008 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what a stupid test, i cant believe they still use those things.

Link Posted: 9/24/2008 12:19:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I took it this morning. Much easier than I thought it was going to be, but now it's killing having to wait to find out if I "passed" or what the deal is. The guy giving me the test told me everything looks fine, but damn. Talk about stressful.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 1:11:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I got another call this morning. I passed the poly and I go in next week for my Medical and Psych!

I am stoked!
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I got another call this morning. I passed the poly and I go in next week for my Medical and Psych!

I am stoked!

good work!

Polygraphs are so ghey,   "are u sure ur telling the truth"
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 9:01:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am stoked!

good work!

Said the guy who stressed about it EVERY TIME he had to take one.  I think you posted about 5 threads asking about the poly.

I guess this guy didn't have as much of a problem passing it as you did!!  

Maybe he just told the truth!!
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Congrats on getting it done.  Big step closer amigo.   Nice job.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 10:45:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Thanks Dangler!

Any idea as to what I should expect now after I do Medical and Psych next week?
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 3:19:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am stoked!

good work!

Said the guy who stressed about it EVERY TIME he had to take one.  I think you posted about 5 threads asking about the poly.

I guess this guy didn't have as much of a problem passing it as you did!!  

Maybe he just told the truth!!

Fuck yeah I'm going to ask alot of questions about them, you would too if you told the truth and still failed...

I have passed many since then with the exact same answer.

Polygraphs are crap and anyone with half of a brain knows it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks Dangler!

Any idea as to what I should expect now after I do Medical and Psych next week?

The unexpected.

You will prolly be in for a whole battery of tests.

They do the 600 questions psych eval, they do the...oh hell can't think of it...that test where you answer questions in an increasing difficulty level with the whole thing being timed...(they give it to NFL players)...something like that...then they do some written thing that you answer questions that further evaluates your brain waves...then you will talk with the physcologist and get evaluated on all your app questions and poly questions to make sure you were consistent...prolly some other crap thrown in...

Oh yeah...be sure you look at the other dudes in the office...One way or the other you won't see them again...

Suffice it to say...it sucks...

Well fuck me...you wanted to know what to expect After the medical and Psych...well I'm not deleting the above...
Link Posted: 9/27/2008 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I know everything I need to know except for two things:  Are you sorry and do you promise not to do it again? LOL
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Do yourself your next biggest favor, if your academy is a stressed academy then simply stop talking...

From now until the day you graduate just don't talk unless spoken to.   Loss of bearing will earn you a lot of unwanted attention and people WILL remember you during your application process up to and through orientation.   First week can be real interesting with the comments the training officers may have for you or your class mates based upon who they have talked to or what they've witnessed while watching you.

If you've got prior military experience then you know what to expect.   In my academy the first 2-3 weeks were a brutal mind fuck of sorts while we straightened ourselves out.   Ofcourse then somebody would get lax or go do something stupid on the weekend and it would get back to the training staff which resulted in us doing grass drills.   It was 6 months of FUN FUN FUN!
Link Posted: 9/28/2008 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Someone said that the polygraph is witchcraft. This is bunk.

It is less credible than witchcraft.

What happens when you lie? Your heart rate goes up, your breathing becomes rapid & shallow, and your palms sweat.

What happens when someone jumps out from behind a wall and goes, "BOOO!" Your heart rate goes up, your breathing becomes rapid & shallow, and your palms sweat.

What happens when you see a pretty girl walk by? Your heart rate goes up, your breathing becomes rapid & shallow, and your palms sweat.

The polygraph is a STRESS detector, NOT a LIE detector. There is NO specific biological response to lying!
Link Posted: 9/29/2008 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Passed medical today and off to psych on Wednesday! Whoooo hooooooo!

Link Posted: 10/1/2008 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The polygraph is a STRESS detector, NOT a LIE detector. There is NO specific biological response to lying!

LOL, no joke there.   I've heard some detectors have a cushion you sit on to see if you're squeezing your ass cheeks to try and rat out the people who are trying to tense muscles to fake out the machine.    One of these days it will be a rectal plug.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 10:17:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Did my pysch on Wednesday, now I am just waiting. It's going to be a loooooooong weekend if I don't hear something from them today.
Link Posted: 10/3/2008 10:27:28 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Someone said that the polygraph is witchcraft. This is bunk.

It is less credible than witchcraft.

What happens when you lie? Your heart rate goes up, your breathing becomes rapid & shallow, and your palms sweat.

What happens when someone jumps out from behind a wall and goes, "BOOO!" Your heart rate goes up, your breathing becomes rapid & shallow, and your palms sweat.

What happens when you see a pretty girl walk by? Your heart rate goes up, your breathing becomes rapid & shallow, and your palms sweat.

Well said, my man.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I finally got the call on Thursday. Everything is good and I am in.

I am so stoked. I feel like finally after almost 5 months of work to get this done I have a huge weight off of my shoulders.

Now, it's academy time!
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#24]
....OC time
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Congrats!

It took my five months to get on here in FL. I start on Nov. 3rd. Just shadowing until the academy in January. Still pretty excited though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top