Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2008 1:31:08 PM EDT
When I was the FNG no one talked to me and the vets were kinda mean, which is normal.  I did not like that all all. Now that I'm not a FNG, I find myself doing it to the FNG's now. Why is that?
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Because you can get sued for hazing......

Things were easier then.....
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:50:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Cuz....
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 1:57:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I never understood that.

When I was new, most of the vets were cool and ready to answer questions.

I try to do the same for the new new guys.

This job is hard enough.  

You deal with enough dicks on the road, why someone else wearing the uniform would want to be a dick to you I just don't get.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Right of passage.    

They won't let you get killed but they want to see how you handle things and see what you are made of.  

Builds confidence.    

Fun to watch

Who really knows...   Culture thing I guess.
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
It also has to do with trust. No one in this kind of profession automatically trusts anyone until they prove themselves.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I know in the fire service treating rooks like shit is part of the tradition.  I was older when I joined
and didn't like being treated like a POS.  I wasn't one, I knew my job and helped at every oppourtunity.

Now that I have time on the job I treat new guys with a degree of respect.  If they do something stupid
I will correct them and make sure they do it right so as to not get hurt or dead. The around
the house rookie shit I dont play that game.  

We have a guy at our house who out ranks me but I have more time on the job was treating our rook
like shit.  I told him he has a name and you dont have to talk to him like that.  I look at it like this
most people who are dicks, are dicks because they need to be to feel good about themselves.  If
you are insecure don't take it out on someone else.

Link Posted: 9/4/2008 10:32:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, the FNG thing really breeds professionalism.

Not.
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
I am the FNG at my department, but thus far I'm been surprised at how little BS I get from the old timers...most of them are helpful and willing to answer questions and share their street experince.  Other than a little Rookie Ribbing, I haven't had to deal with that crap, thank God.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top