Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 7:21:31 PM EDT
I'm a field training officer and my rookie has no prior experience,,,only the academy...only a short time on the street.   I don't think he is getting it....bad judge of people and their intentions.  I'm getting frustrated.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#1]
How long is your departments FTO Program?
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#2]
14 weeks unless they get extended.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I am a no prior experince, academy only rookie as well.  My FTO period is 3 months long, about to finish up here on the 2nd of August.  I don't know how far along your recruit is, but I know I was a fumbling idiot for the first 2-3 weeks or so...give it a little more time and see if they improve...it is possilbe they made a mistake in career choice though, don't let him compromise officer safety!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
How far along is he now?  He may need a string of good scenerios in dealing with people and reading some basic body language.  If he just doesn't get it then he may need the Do you really think this is the line of work for you speech.  Good luck, I know the frustration you are going through.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I am a no prior experince, academy only rookie as well.  My FTO period is 3 months long, about to finish up here on the 2nd of August.  I don't know how far along your recruit is, but I know I was a fumbling idiot for the first 2-3 weeks or so...give it a little more time and see if they improve...it is possilbe they made a mistake in career choice though, don't let him compromise officer safety!

Tomarrow will be the start of his 3rd week and I just have to remember that I was a noob when I started too.  I just think that he doesn't realize that he knows less than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:53:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomarrow will be the start of his 3rd week and I just have to remember that I was a noob when I started too.  I just think that he doesn't realize that he knows less than nothing.

Is he one of those "I know everything about everything already and you can't really teach me anything new." kind of guys?  i HATE people like that...had more than one in my academy class.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#7]
My last trainee was like that and I had a lot of doubts on if he would make it through or not even after 14 weeks.  He was able to complete his two week shadow phase without major issues and is doing ok at this point. His dad is a officer for another department and it took a while for him to realize that didn't make him special or mean he knew anything on our department.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is he one of those "I know everything about everything already and you can't really teach me anything new." kind of guys?  i HATE people like that...had more than one in my academy class.

More like "I have a masters degree so...."  but no street smarts.  I haven't gotten into the talk about my college education and how I know Doctors that are stupid....etc...and how without common sense and some street smarts he won't make it.....etc.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:09:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Woder if he's gonna be one of those that you have to go and find someone that will resist for him to deal with.....I'll find him a mean DUI or something....lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:17:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The more I think about this issue, the more I think it may be an Academy problem.  Our Academy constantly pounded into our heads, "You don't know shit."  They constantly gave examples of people, and themselves, getting into situations where they were like, yeah I got this, only to get their asses handed to them.

If I were you, I'd be like, alright hot-shot, you know your stuff, go do it, I will not help and will just watch.  

Maybe he just has to learn the hard way.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The more I think about this issue, the more I think it may be an Academy problem.  Our Academy constantly pounded into our heads, "You don't know shit."  They constantly gave examples of people, and themselves, getting into situations where they were like, yeah I got this, only to get their asses handed to them.

If I were you, I'd be like, alright hot-shot, you know your stuff, go do it, I will not help and will just watch.  

Maybe he just has to learn the hard way.  

I thought about it but then I have to fix his fuck up.  It'll happen when he gets closer to the end of 14 weeks.  He'll come back to me for the last 2 weeks (shadow phase) where I just sit there and watch him.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:25:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd let my training supervisor know what was going on.  Then I'd have a talk with the trainee.

1.  Name your specific concern in detail (sounds like situational awareness/officer safety issue).  
2.  Tell him you can not, in good conscience, recommend him for next phase due to him being a danger to himself and others.  Tell him you will not pass him in this condition.
3.  Tell him it doesn't matter if he thinks the problem is real or not, it IS real and you both need to work on it.  Tell him you and the Dept. are willing to work on it with him, but it's ultimately his to attain.

If he grasps what you're concerned about, ask him what he thinks it will take for him to become aware.  Involve him, but you and your supervisor decide what may work.  Document it all.  You should already know what learning style he prefers.  Your co-workers or I may have some ideas on methods to get through to him.  If he can't perform to reasonable 4th-week standards, you simply make your recommendation for remedial/prescriptive training and let the supervisors handle the issue.  You did your part.

If he doesn't get it at all or thinks he knows better, make sure your supervisor is aware/involved.  Do your best to make him aware, continue to document thoroughly, recommend remedial/prescriptive and leave it to your supervisors to decide.  

If you have doubts about his ability to recognize/act, hunting for combative subjects you may/may not find is dangerous for him, you, the Dept. and your career.  Train some more and see where you get.

-josh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top