http://cms.firehouse.com/content/article/article.jsp?sectionId=39&id=60295

Missouri Firefighter Killed, Two Officers Shot

Posted: 07-21-2008
Updated: 07-21-2008 12:16:22 PM

E-MAIL THIS STORY   PRINT THIS STORY

PATRICK M. O'CONNELL, KIM BELL and CAROLYN TUFT
Courtesy of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch

AP Photo/Jeff Roberson

Police and tactical units surrounded a house in a burning house in Maplewood, Mo. after a gunman fired shots at emergency workers.

MAPLEWOOD, Mo. -- A rookie firefighter was killed and two police officers were wounded when a gunman opened fire in Maplewood early today.

The gunman might still be holed up in a burning home, and police sharpshooters have swarmed the neighborhood near South Big Bend Boulevard and Zephyr Place.

The dead firefighter has been identified as Ryan Hummert, 22.

Hummert was fatally shot as he got out of a Maplewood fire truck as it arrived at the scene of a vehicle fire about 5:45 a.m. today.

At 10:10 a.m. today, the American flag and a Maplewood city flag were both lowered to half staff outside Maplewood City Hall.

Meanwhile, a Maplewood police officer is in critical condition at another area hospital. The bullet struck the officer's badge, which may have saved his life, a hospital spokeswoman said.

A second Maplewood police officer was shot in the right shoulder. He is being treated, but his condition was unavailable.

It all started unfolding before 6 a.m. today, when firefighters were responding to a vehicle fire on Zephyr Place.

"They were about to put out the fire, then I heard a couple of shots," said one witness, Sanyog Rai, working at a 7-11 store on Big Bend. "I saw a cop holding his shoulder, and he fell down to the ground."

The house fire started shortly after that. Officers surrounded the home, believing the gunman was inside.

Three hours later, dozens of police cars from a mix of area departments were still there. Many of the officers are crouching behind police cars with their weapons drawn. The St. Louis County police explosives unit rolled up after 9 a.m., as did an armored vehicle from the U.S. Marine Corps. FBI agents were suiting up in tactical gear.

Paul Kieselhorst, who lives about three blocks from the incident, said he heard four shots as his wife was leaving for work. Then, he heard a fifth shot. Kieselhorst saw an ambulance racing from the scene with lights and sirens blaring. He said police tactical units have evacuated a few people from adjacent homes.

"They still have the shooter holed up and people are at risk," Kieselhorst said.

The manager of the 7-11, Anuj Srivastava, was at home asleep when the shooting happened. His second-floor apartment is across the street from the convenience store. He watched the explosion from the truck fire.

"When the truck exploded, I saw the fireball coming up over the house 150 feet up," he said.

Casey Smith, who lives in the 7300 block of Zephyr Place, could hear helicopters hovering overhead about 8:45 a.m. today. She said she was virtually trapped in her home.

"A friend called to make sure I'm OK," Smith said. "I'm not going outside. Usually, this is a quiet place. I've never felt threatened."

Hummert, the firefighter who died, was a firefighter-paramedic with Maplewood. He has been with the city since last August, when he graduated paramedic school. He graduated from the St. Louis County fire academy this year. Hummert graduated Rockwood Summit High School in 2004 and was the son of the former mayor of Maplewood, Andy Hummert, and Jackie Hummert.

Republished with permission of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there any indication as to why this went from a vehicle fire to an armed encounter?  The first thing that crossed my mind was the shooter started the fire to bring emergency services in and open fire.  

I hope he burns in that house before burning in hell.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't understand the nutjobs today. If life sucks, kill yourself. They feel the need to take out defenseless people with them.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
RIP Brother

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:14:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:42:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I don't understand the nutjobs today. If life sucks, kill yourself. They feel the need to take out defenseless people with them.

Yup.

NN
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 6:57:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

RIP Brother..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top