Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 7:03:34 AM EDT
Well I have been accepted to a local college's police academy. I am so excited about this. All through my high school and college years I have tossed around the idea of helping to protect and serve my community. Now I am one step closer to it. My family is proud of me for making this choice and they are supporting me 100%. I was wondering how police academy prepared the fellow LEOs here, and what tips they have for me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]
The academy is all what you make of it. If your in decent shape it shouldnt be too hard physically. If you can read and retain information, it shouldnt be too hard mentally.

Just a few tips:

1. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. The academy is not the time to tell stories and try to "one up" the instuctor.

2. Buy the best running shoes that you can afford.

3. If you dont already own a firearm, DO NOT run out and buy a $1200.00 pistol. You will look like a dick when it comes time for firearms training and cant hit shit with it.

4. Dont be "THAT" guy. You'll soon see what I'm talking about. If you dont find "THAT" guy in your class, Then you may be "THAT" guy.

Lotsa luck...stay safe.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:51:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The academy is all what you make of it. If your in decent shape it shouldnt be too hard physically. If you can read and retain information, it shouldnt be too hard mentally.

Just a few tips:

1. Keep your mouth shut and your ears open. The academy is not the time to tell stories and try to "one up" the instuctor.

3. If you dont already own a firearm, DO NOT run out and buy a $1200.00 pistol. You will look like a dick when it comes time for firearms training and cant hit shit with it.

4. Dont be "THAT" guy. You'll soon see what I'm talking about. If you dont find "THAT" guy in your class, Then you may be "THAT" guy.

Lotsa luck...stay safe.

Good advise.  I especially like #4!!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Best time of my life. Just remember you wanted to be there and that many more have gone before you.

- "That guy" in our Troop decided to turn his shooting cap around backwards on the range one day and started acting like a G. Never seen an angry face turn so red as the Cpl. was correcting him. On the plus, guys like that can take the heat off the rest.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The first movie was great, but they went downhill quick after that.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:33:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I am in an academy now. Everyone is different but here are some tips  that I think everyone can benefit from.

1. Never lie (should go without saying, I know) Tell the truth about everything, even the most trivial circumstance. If you left your PT shoes at home and you were suppose to bring them, be honest about your mistake and take your punishment. Integrity is doing what is right when no one else is looking.

2. Be motivated every day. Enthusiasm is contagious. Encourage your classmates, work as a team. The faster you come together as a class the better it will be for you. Police your own before the staff does, conduct your own meetings and inspections (before the staff gigs you).

3. Never give up, never quit no matter what.

4. Be courteous, polite and humble. Always volunteer to help!

5. Look to older classmates, former police and military for guidance. Some guys in my class didn't know how to spit shine boots for example.

Is the academy residential or commuter? Try to find out the style it is some are more relaxed/para-military then others.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#6]
It will suck if you are a fat body or have a hard time taking orders.
Show up in shape, shut up, and carry out every order to the letter, and it will be a breeze.
I just hit the halfway mark, and it has been a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It will suck if you are a fat body or have a hard time taking orders.
Show up in shape, shut up, and carry out every order to the letter, and it will be a breeze.
I just hit the halfway mark, and it has been a lot of fun.

Halfway mark! I have 3 weeks left! (35 week academy).
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I've been to 2 of them.  One was horrible, one was excellent.  Just do what you think is right, not what you think the others want.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#9]

On the plus, guys like that can take the heat off the rest.

Negative ghostrider, you will move the earth because of crap like that.  Or maybe just do Iron Mikes until you have 3-4 people give EMS practice.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Good to hear, bro.  We can always use a good man.

It sounds like you have the right reason for getting into this line of work.  Your community needs/wants you if you are worthy of their entrustment.  Keep that focus on entrustment and duty--renew your commitment to that from time to time.  The respect of the Public, pride in the badge, self-satisfaction, etc. is just gravy.

If your academy doesn't have a mentor program, DO try to find one in local LE.  A good mentor is worth their weight in gold.

Remember this is just the beginning.  Basic Training is just that--it's really not enough.  In LE you will ALWAYS be a student, no matter how much you know.  Conducting yourself accordingly is part of minimizing friction in your career.  

The job is much easier to handle if it is a calling for you.  If it's anything less than a calling--and, for some, it is--be committed to at least upholding the honor of the entrustment and position.

While in the Academy, as you learn laws, tactics, etc., THINK about how they might apply in police work.  Have your mentor work or narrate scenarios/practicals for you.  It will be a huge help in the transition to field training.

There's a steep learning curve in Academy life and also in Field Training.   Give it your best shot and remember that it gets a lot easier once you graduate from field training.  

I hope you have great instructors and a good mentor.  Check in with us if you have questions.

-josh
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Just a few tips:

Lotsa luck...stay safe.

#4 = Single most important piece of advise...EVER.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I was "that" guy in the academy. Maybe not the type you guys speak of, but I was. My instructor made me the butt of his jokes and I think that I made their academy experience all the much better. My instructor also wrote me a letter upon graduation thanking me for making his classes funner.

It also helped to be Top Gun and Top 5.

Just pay attention in class and make sure you completely understand the material that's covered. There is a lot of liability with this job and you will learn that soon. Make the best of your experiences because this is one of the best career paths ever imo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
"That guy" is a real diplomatic and family rated description. Usually they had names like tard, sluggo, cement head and many more containing variations that included an "A" and a couple of "S"'s.

Follow the rules, don't be the class clown (it may haunt you beyond the academy), study hard and keep the nose clean. The clowns that want to act bad-ass or act like they're seasoned veterans are spotted immediately. We call them "the guys with their hands in air, saying "Pick on me, pick on me!" and we oblige them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top