Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:39:21 PM EDT
I just talked to my parents tonight and the they told me they are having problems with Coyotes coming really close to there home. When I say close I mean trying to attack there cat on the porch. My Mother had to go out and save the cat and the Coyotes was not even scared of her. Now they have always had Coyotes but its gotten worse since a large domestic dog has taken over the pack as the alpha. She is not the type to shoot the Coyotes and I live 5 hours away or I'd do it and they can't fence in the 5 acr lot. Can anyone give me any ideas on how they can take care of this problem?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry Mod can you place this in the survival!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a hunting permit, small game license and a nice .22 mag or .223.

More than likley hunting on the property is legal.  Legal provided the projectile does not leave the property.  Check with State Fish and Game and local Sheriff.

I've got 2 and can hunt deer legally.  Assume it is the same for coyotes.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like you need to do an overnight with an electronic caller and a shotgun.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:13:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Just lead them a little bit...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Have gun will travel.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like a target rich environment.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:36:31 PM EDT
[#7]
You posted  problem at my parents house ...  you said ,she's not the type to shoot the
coyotes.

What about your Dad ?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have gun will travel.

If he is willing to do it this sounds like a great option for everyone.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Have them talk to their county extention agent. He can put them in touch with a state trapper.

Of course you could get them a 12 gauge with OO buck.

Put in a red bulb porch light or red bulbed spot light and get an electronic call with puppy calls.

Start calling and blasting at short range.

A neighbor of mine does this in mason county. Back porch, red light, 12 gauge, and a cold drink. He calls up the yotes and bang. His biggest count was 9 in one night.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:26:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Other than removing them physically by trapping or shooting, I don't how else to deal with ridding an area of coyotes, especially ones that have lost their fear.

FWIW they hate cats with a passion. A bud of mine was stationed in Austin TX and his co-workers took him yote hunting. They used cats as bait and would make them meow or "howl" in distress. The yotes would hear the cat and came running full blast to attack the cat. They used shotguns because the range was only a few feet since the yotes threw all caution to wind in their haste.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Burro
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Call the environmental cops and find out what is or is not legal.  Then reassess.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:12:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sounds like you need to do an overnight with an electronic caller and a shotgun.

+1, except I would ditch the caller and tie up the cat in the backyard.  Take your AR (I assume you have one) or slugged up shotgun and have at it.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
What's the problem?  The only good cat is a dead cat!  LOL
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Llama

Or if she is unwilling or can't shoot near her house....

Drive a large nail thru a piece of wood about 1 x 1 foot 3/4 pywood. With point sticking up use electrical tape and wrap the bottom two inches with tape a good thick layer

Take a piece of chain link fence about 4x4 feet. lay it out flat on the ground. with the board with the nail sticking up in the center of the board.

Attach the neutral wire to the chain link fence.

Attach the hot wire off a 40 amp breaker to the nail.

Stick a hot dog or raw meat over the nail. not to large around.

Yote walks on fence takes a bite of the hot dog.

BBQ yote.

and if he does live he won't come back for more!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:52:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I realize that this doesn't help much but ..... in certain counties of Texas, coyotes are a justifiable 911 call. You might want to check to see if a similar circumstance exists in your area.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:00:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Ground hamburger balls soaked in antifreeze. Only bad thing it will take out the neighbors dogs also if they eat it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top