Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 5:44:06 AM EDT
I think it is only a matter of time till you see these in the US. Taser cam is growing in popularity as well.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I fuckin' hope not
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I guy took a leave of abscence from my agency because he's developing a camera that is small enough to be worn on the uniform shirt.....smaller and lighter than a metal badge.

And no....I'm not interested in wearing one.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Pocket recorders are down into the $30 range, well within the reach of even the cheapest officers are agencies. i don't see the various body cams ever getting that cheap, so I don't think it'll be widespread without some major grant underwriting by government or private donations.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]

I cant even get out of my car without my sunglasses being so fogged from the heat that I cant see a thing.... I can only imagine what the footage would look like...

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I see them coming sooner or later.  10 years ago we complained about car cameras.  Then they started saving officers from BS complaints and helped us win more in court.  Yeah, he's nice and cleaned up now, but look at him fighting with us then....

My Department has the Tazer Cams, and so far every single use of the Tazer has been found to be more than justified.  The video lets the jury/public see our perspective as the incident happens.

If you do the right thing then the video will do nothing but make your job easier.  Even the Thugs act different if they know that they're being recorded.  Best way to clear a crowd at a disturbance is to pull out the camera.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:34:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone tell Bobby he'll put his eye out with that thing.  That thing is a kludge.  Lowest bidder, I guess.

They already have button cams (shirt button size).

Pen cameras are functional... and, like a quality audio recorder... might save your azz or make the case... whether criminal or IA.  hock.gif Srsly.

-josh
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
It's already getting to the point in some cases where the defense is "well, you didn't get that on camera so it didn't happen"

HUH!?

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:09:14 AM EDT
[#9]
We've already experienced that by having cases dismissed because a car camera tape wasn't available. Now we've got a digital system in the cars, which is wonderful, but it's a matter of time before the camera runs non-stop.

They certainly help against BS complaints but we survived just fine without them for a couple hundred years.

Quoted:
It's already getting to the point in some cases where the defense is "well, you didn't get that on camera so it didn't happen"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top