Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2008 3:13:06 PM EDT
Lately I got into collecting knives, some open assisted. Here in NYC even a knife that can be flicked open is considered a gravity knife and illegal. Like if you grab a Spyderco by the hole on the top of the blade and flick it open...gravity knife.

My question is, would you take in an average guy with no history just for having a pocket knife that is technically illegal even though he seems like an honest Joe. Do you have others in your department that you know would take somebody in for something that trivial.

I'm 34 and haven't been searched by a cop since I was 16 so I'm not too worried but, I was just curious as to what an average cop would say or do in that situation.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:21:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a local cop in any sense, so it falls outside the scope of anything I would give a rats ass about, but if I were a cop I would not care.  Not one little bit.

You would have to be using it during the commission of a crime for me to even bat an eye, and even then I would only summon some local LEA rather than wasting my time with it.

Just remember that you never know what kind of turd you are going to meet tomorrow.  There are a very few assholes out there and you have a non-zero chance of coming across one on any given day.  Still, I carry mine everywhere and don't pay any mind to local laws.  They're too hard to keep track of and too unlikely to be an issue, anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 3:27:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Personally I wouldn't.  If you were a thug that was giving me an attitude, then I probably would just to hem you up on something.  
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:10:06 PM EDT
[#3]
There are alot of variables. Totality of the circumstances would dictate alot of how an officer would react.

No such thing as an average cop. Some are just as hysterical as your averge soccer mom and might draw down on you and charge you with the felony. It's for the children, after all.

You are asking the question to a bunch of ARFCOMers. If it were me, I would probably start talking about knives with you. I bet alot of guys here would too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:51:50 PM EDT
[#4]
From a NYC cop I can tell you absolutely not.  If you were an average joe, I'd tell you it;s illegal for me to see your knife, so un clip it and put it deeper in your pocket.  I've done so many times.  

Unfortunately I've seen guys with the sheetrock dust still on them taken in because they have a utility knife clipped to their pocket.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Also I'd like to add that many DA's have thrown out arrests because any you can make any folding knife into a "gravity knife."  They have criteria that must be met, so if you do find yourself in a bad situation, lawyer up and fight it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I wouldn't bother unless you were using it to commit a crime.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:41:35 PM EDT
[#7]
If I just "happened upon it" then most likely NO because it's no big issue to me.  I would take the opportunity to educate you about the law but an arrest is not likely.

If I came across the knife due to your criminal ways, then yes, I would most likely charge you.

This IS NOT a double standard, it's about discretion and education...  Arrest IS NOT the only accetable soultion to a given issue or problem.  Like posted above, it depends on the totality of the situation at hand.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Unfortunately I've seen guys with the sheetrock dust still on them taken in because they have a utility knife clipped to their pocket.

This is the one that scares me. I know that there are many cool cops out there that just want to do what's right but, I also know that there are the scumbags who are, well I guess they're power mad so to speak.

In the instance above where it's obviously a laborer of some sort, wouldn't a supervisor say what the fuck is your problem bringing this guy in for this bullshit, or do the higher up's not really give a shit?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is the one that scares me. I know that there are many cool cops out there that just want to do what's right but, I also know that there are the scumbags who are, well I guess they're power mad so to speak.

In the instance above where it's obviously a laborer of some sort, wouldn't a supervisor say what the fuck is your problem bringing this guy in for this bullshit, or do the higher up's not really give a shit?

It all depends on the cop and the boss. I never gave anyone anything about their knives, but I know other cops who have at least issued the ticket and confiscated the knife. If you got arrested for something else it might get tacked on as another charge.

Just make sure you keep it in your pocket and not clipped and visible while in the city.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:34:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It all depends on the cop and the boss. I never gave anyone anything about their knives, but I know other cops who have at least issued the ticket and confiscated the knife. If you got arrested for something else it might get tacked on as another charge.

Just make sure you keep it in your pocket and not clipped and visible while in the city.

Some instances the boss ordered the arrest.  I'm sure thos OTJ know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
This is pretty much the same with people and CCW. I will not arrest someone who unknowingly conceals a weapon. I just try to educate them. However, if you are a douchebag, it will just be another charge.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I am form Florida, and lived in the shit city(NYC) for 6 years. Moved there for GF now wife. In FL I carried all the time. Got there to Commie NYC, and found myself naked. Saw shit go down in the subways.
Couldn't bring none of my toys up. So called home and got sent a S&W 24/7, carried that thing every where, with belt chip to my outside pants pocket, (faster draw). I was neverd stopped or said a word to, even though I talked to a good deal of LEO's. On a side note, not to many NYC LEO's are gun friendly, very few are. My BIL is a NYC cop, and I would tell him all the stuff I had at home an though I was lying. Till he came down a few mouths ago, and his jaw dropped.. Hell, he's going to make a trip with other LEO's just to shoot my stuff.
If I ever had gotten stop for my knife, I would be very appreciative of any of you for dropping a little "hint" (deeper in the pocket).
Not all cops in the city are bad, but a good deal run on power trips, and some of your CO's are dicks.
Hopefully, the Heller case, makes something happen in the stinking apple, and CCW will be allowed someday.
O.... Bloomie is a shit bag, thanks god he's out soon.
be safe out there men....
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Some instances the boss ordered the arrest.  I'm sure thos OTJ know what I'm talking about.

Isn't that what Giuliani staked his fame on? Enforcing every chickenshit law on the books (without discretion), in order to clean the streets?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Just one question....

Why take a chance?  Keep your knife collection at home and carry a sweet non-assisted folder in your pocket.  Why tempt fate?  
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 11:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't arrest you.  I'm also forgiving of knife blade length unless you're up to no good.

In the same vein, we once had a rural Texan drive in to the city and park on the curb of a very public downtown sidewalk area.  Before he got out of the truck and visited some public sites, he put his naked CZ pistol on his dash and left it there.  

Subsequent investigation showed the Texan had no criminal history whatsoever and the pistol was not stolen.  He told us it is common courtesy in his neck of the woods to put the pistol on the dash when you think the law might be around.  He was advised of state law and sent on his way.

Discretion is a good thing.

-josh
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top