Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/8/2008 8:08:09 AM EDT
Or does anyone know where I can get some answers to some of my questions? I'm not really for talking to requiters to get my questions answered  I have found in the military and in police departments they only tell you what you want to hear.

I'll just post this question on here I heard that the Border Patrol is really needing people and are willing to give people higher pay just to get them to join? Has anyone heard this? I was told this by my Uncle who was told this by his friends relative how is a border patrol agent. So I'm not sure how much I should believe.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The border patrol is DESPERATE for people, see the television commercials.

There was an earlier thread where an agent was lamenting the lowering of standards in order to fill the slots. this would steer me away as I deal w/ less than stellar people in my current job(construction), it's very frustrating.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#2]
They should offer more pay for the Border Patrol. Men and Women have to sacrifice their lives by moving with their family to the Southwest for the Agency or some leave their families behind so their kids can finish school etc. That is a huge sacrifice and the government needs to understand that a lot of Americans arent willing to do it unless it will offer their family a better quality of life. The Southwest is hot and its a dangerous job with the Mexican Army using snipers against our Feds along the border. We should station Marine Corps Snipers along the border and see who is a better shot. But its a tough job so they need to offer more pay to attract people. Lowering of standards would worry me tho. That does nothing but get people killed.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

There was an earlier thread where an agent was lamenting the lowering of standards in order to fill the slots. this would steer me away as I deal w/ less than stellar people in my current job(construction), it's very frustrating.

Up here in IL you never seen any thing about the border patrol. That sucks about them lowering the standards they don't need a bunch of people who can't do this job out there. Hell I took a lot of flak cause I got in to a PD cause I had military and not college I was told I was lower standards for the PD.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#4]
As far as paying them more to join, the answer is no.  You start at a base salary of 35,500 give or take a little, and if you come in as a GS-5.  Then on top of that you receive at least 25% of that as AUO(auto uncontrolled overtime).  I got screwed, I have a degree and should have came in as a GS-7, but when I did my paperwork, I was about to graduate and technically didnt have the degree yet.  When I was hired on, they told me to get the GS-7 postition I would have to reapply--that would take another year and a half on top of the year and a half I had already waited.  So I just took the cut.  If you have any questions about the Patrol feel free to IM me and I'll try to help you out.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As far as paying them more to join, the answer is no.  You start at a base salary of 35,500 give or take a little, and if you come in as a GS-5.  Then on top of that you receive at least 25% of that as AUO(auto uncontrolled overtime).  I got screwed, I have a degree and should have came in as a GS-7, but when I did my paperwork, I was about to graduate and technically didnt have the degree yet.  When I was hired on, they told me to get the GS-7 postition I would have to reapply--that would take another year and a half on top of the year and a half I had already waited.  So I just took the cut.  If you have any questions about the Patrol feel free to IM me and I'll try to help you out.

Thanks IM sent
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:52:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Damn bro that really sucks. You should have clicked GS5 and GS7 on your application form as that would give them more options. So you started at a lower rate and you ll never really catch up to where you should be as you cant make up lost money.
Link Posted: 7/8/2008 6:53:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out this web site.  Check it out thoroughly.  

Honor First

JonLSU should be a better source than I am, because he current, but I will tell you that Border Patrol was the best move I ever made, even if it was over 30 years ago.  
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Honor First

JonLSU should be a better source than I am, because he current, but I will tell you that Border Patrol was the best move I ever made, even if it was over 30 years ago.  

Thanks for the web site I've been looking at it a lot and it has answerd a lot of my questions .
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honor First

Thanks for the web site I've been looking at it a lot and it has answerd a lot of my questions .

You're most welcome.  Glad it's been useful to you.  I wish we'd had a resource like that in my day, but that was long before Al Gore invented the internet.  All I knew then about the Border Patrol was what Bill Jordan and Colonel Charles Asklins had written about it.  Luckily for me, that was enough.  

Don't fail to take up JonLSU on his generous offer (see post at link).  

JonLSU Post

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 3:46:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You're most welcome.  Glad it's been useful to you.  I wish we'd had a resource like that in my day, but that was long before Al Gore invented the internet.  All I knew then about the Border Patrol was what Bill Jordan and Colonel Charles Asklins had written about it.  Luckily for me, that was enough.  

Don't fail to take up JonLSU on his generous offer (see post at link).  

JonLSU Post

I've been talking to JonLSU he has given me a lot of info. I'm going to have to reapply again  on the 15th cause it will be 90 days since I last applied I had a test date set up but a family emergency came up and I missed the testing date and now my address has changed also don't want to drive 9 hours to do a test I only have to drive 2 hours for.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 4:45:11 PM EDT
[#11]
What type of holsters for your H&K do they issue or let you guys use in the Border Patrol?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:25:53 PM EDT
[#12]
They have a few, but mostly safariland w thumb break - they have a couple leather ones as well
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They have a few, but mostly safariland w thumb break - they have a couple leather ones as well

Can you have drop holsters? Also what level are the holsters?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#14]
They only allow SRT, BORTAC, and BORSTAR have them.  Apparently it pertains to their job more and they have training for it.  There's alot that other agents and I dont agree with that  BP does to limit the gear that we can use.  They have level I and II holsters, and say they are experimenting with level 3 ones.  
One thing I really dont agree with is that you cant use a weapon mounted light(streamlight m3 etc) unless your in the catagories above.  Their excuse...you have to go through training to use a light.  I've asked, Even if I'm willing to purchase my own can I use it.  Their answer, No, unless agents are trained with it and have a purpose for it, then its not currently approved.  I guess the guys in Washington think BP agents dont work in the dark????
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 1:13:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
They only allow SRT, BORTAC, and BORSTAR have them.  Apparently it pertains to their job more and they have training for it.  There's alot that other agents and I dont agree with that  BP does to limit the gear that we can use.  They have level I and II holsters, and say they are experimenting with level 3 ones.  
One thing I really dont agree with is that you cant use a weapon mounted light(streamlight m3 etc) unless your in the catagories above.  Their excuse...you have to go through training to use a light.  I've asked, Even if I'm willing to purchase my own can I use it.  Their answer, No, unless agents are trained with it and have a purpose for it, then its not currently approved.  I guess the guys in Washington think BP agents dont work in the dark????

Thanks for the info on the holsters. Sounds a lot like the Marines back when I was in.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

HA!!  Not for Air Interdiction Agents, that is for sure.

AIA is one impossible nut to crack for non-military types.......
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:14:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

They have new rounds of hiring coming up for you front seaters...keep at it, if you want to leave FS.

Still waiting on my word, BTW..I have 6.25 days left here @ FLETC
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:56:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have new rounds of hiring coming up for you front seaters...keep at it, if you want to leave FS.

Still waiting on my word, BTW..I have 6.25 days left here @ FLETC

I have a better chance of being an Astronaut than an AIA.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Or does anyone know where I can get some answers to some of my questions? I'm not really for talking to requiters to get my questions answered  I have found in the military and in police departments they only tell you what you want to hear.

I'll just post this question on here I heard that the Border Patrol is really needing people and are willing to give people higher pay just to get them to join? Has anyone heard this? I was told this by my Uncle who was told this by his friends relative how is a border patrol agent. So I'm not sure how much I should believe.

You usually come in as a GS-5.  However, if your GPA is a 3.5 or you have prior LEO experience, you can apply for GS-7.  There is also a rumor, rumor, that if you have a Master’s degree you can apply for GS-9.  I would talk to a recruiter for clarification on this though.  

Quoted:

Unfortunately, they are hurting for bodies and this definitely opens the door for less than adequate new hires.  At this point, the FTO program is where those that are not suited will hopefully be rooted out.  I would not let it deter you if you are sincerely interested in the job.  It is a good gig.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Sorry to dig up and old post but how hard is it to get on and be a Marine Interdiction Agent.

I think I have met a couple while I have been on NAS Jax and I wouldn't mind going that route..
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Sorry to dig up and old post but how hard is it to get on and be a Marine Interdiction Agent.

I think I have met a couple while I have been on NAS Jax and I wouldn't mind going that route..

Competition is VERY tight..lots of former BP'ers and custom boat guys transistion over and military boat drivers.

What quals do you have?

Link Posted: 8/29/2008 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Actually none.. The only thing I have going for me ... Is I am currently working on my bachelor degree in CJ former Marine Radio Operator.  and willing to take classes on how to opting a basic  mariner license just to make myself more marketable...

Is there a certain route one should go into order to follow the path..
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Actually none.. The only thing I have going for me ... Is I am currently working on my bachelor degree in CJ former Marine Radio Operator.  and willing to take classes on how to opting a basic  mariner license just to make myself more marketable...

Is there a certain route one should go into order to follow the path..

The Marine IAs that I know (about 7 or 8) are all former BPAs who spent several years on the BP's Boat Unit.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 7:10:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Article on the BP in the local paper.  Washout in the academy something like 30%.  Washout in the first couple years out was in the 20% or better range.  Overall agency turnover at 10% a year.  So, yeah, they're hurting for people.  Tough job.  Nights, weekends and holidays in some godforsaken places.  Poor schools, limited medical facilities, zero social life.  If you have a spouse, don't be to surprised if you end up an ex-spouse.  If you don't already have one, good luck landing a mate.  You will be working Mexican border.  No ifs ands or buts.  

Tough important underappreciated job.  My hats off to those who can do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top