Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2008 11:28:36 AM EDT
Alright, has anyone else noticed that the general populace has no idea what flashing red traffic signal lights mean?  
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 3:30:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Do those mean the same thing as those big red octagonal "slow down in this general area, if you feel like it" signs?
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
They are completely different than the bright yellow "speed up so you can make it through the light" lights.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
And totally different than the "go so fast that if you blink you'll miss it" flashing yellow lights...
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, here in Illinois they ALL seem to be more of a suggestion than a regulation.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 7:43:30 PM EDT
[#5]
It's all a blur because I just blinked.  I do know that red and yellow make orange!!  
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 7:49:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hell, here in Illinois they ALL seem to be more of a suggestion than a regulation.

Of course.... we need to install "centelleo de luces rojas (o amarillo)"

Link Posted: 2/29/2008 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Believe it or not, there is a FLASHING GREEN light in the City next to me. Been there for 20+ years

Andy
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 8:52:03 PM EDT
[#8]
What are you complaining about?  Ever driven in Korea or a few other overseas countries?  Complete chaos on the roadways, you will never complain about US drivers again.  No IED's stateside either, bonus!
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If the stop signs have white around the edges their optional right?
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Alright, has anyone else noticed that the general populace has no idea what flashing red traffic signal lights mean?  

Yep, had a close call today.
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 11:17:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Does it mean the same thing as the stop signs with the white trim around the border?
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:39:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does it mean the same thing as the stop signs with the white trim around the border?

Remember though, if its missing the white trim, its the same as a yield sign
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:47:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Do those mean the same thing as those big red octagonal "slow down in this general area, if you feel like it" signs?

No.  The blinking red light means you can go a little bit faster than when there are signs.

The trick is to hit the entersection when the light is off and the other is lit red.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 5:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I'm not real sure what exactly it means at this point.

I stopped a lady for blowing through one one day.  I explained to her the reason for the stop and she told me.... "But it was FLASHING red."  Oh, ok.  So flashing red just means the same as green then?

Seriously, I wonder how the GD trolls who say we are just revenue collectors can explain this phenomenon away.  If you don't have enough tickets to get your toaster for the month, I highly recommend you camp out near some flashing red lights.  Its amazing how many people don't even slow down for them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#15]
They mean stop IF someone is coming the other way. [IF their vehicle is bigger or a POS] Other then that, they are just a "suggestion" nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What are you complaining about?  Ever driven in Korea or a few other overseas countries?  Complete chaos on the roadways, you will never complain about US drivers again.  No IED's stateside either, bonus!

That's the friggin' truth... I don't think anybody in the entire middle east has taken a driver's ed course.

One of the weirdest things about coming back from deployment was driving a normal car again.  You get so used to driving Humvees (which are good utility vehicles, but not the greatest "driving experience" you could ever have), that a regular old Dodge Ram feels like a Rolls Royce.

That and having real toilets again...
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 6:10:42 AM EDT
[#17]
For a real laugh turn the power off and see what happens at a 4 way intersection.
Link Posted: 3/1/2008 1:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
For a real laugh turn the power off and see what happens at a 4 way intersection.

You'd think that everybody would stop and ffer the person next to them the chance to go first.
Almost said that with a straight face.

Reminds me of when I first moved into the 'hood. Growing up in the 'burbs, I was used to approaching a stopsigned intersection, and if someone had already stpped, they would go, and then I would stop, and go. Kinda logical like that.

When I arrived here, I was approaching an intersection in my POV, and saw another driver get there first and stop. No biggie.

As I got closer, they were still there. I'm now

As I come to a stop, the other driver still hasn't gone yet. Realizing I'm going to have to wait for them, and a little upset that they're bing dumbasses, I'm now

I finally come to a complete stop (no suburban "tap-n-go" here)m, the vehicle rocks backwards, and I wait. Then the other driver enters the intersection and proceeds on their way.

I'm dumbfounded.

Flabbergasted.

And wondering WTF kind of 'tards are driving around here, that they have to wait to see me come to a stop. DUH

The, a few weeks later, I was approaching an intersection (POV again), and another vehicle was coming from the side.

I stopped.

The homeboys didn't... all of 'em in full "slump", music kickin', they just barely slowed as they 'rolled on through.

Then that 'stupid' driver's actions the other day suddenly made sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not real sure what exactly it means at this point.

I stopped a lady for blowing through one one day.  I explained to her the reason for the stop and she told me.... "But it was FLASHING red."  Oh, ok.  So flashing red just means the same as green then?

Seriously, I wonder how the GD trolls who say we are just revenue collectors can explain this phenomenon away.  If you don't have enough tickets to get your toaster for the month, I highly recommend you camp out near some flashing red lights.  Its amazing how many people don't even slow down for them.

What a second, lets go back. They give you freaking TOASTERS just for writing traffic tickets?
Damn, is your department hiring! I wish mine gave out toasters. I go through about five or six of those things a year. I just have to work harder at keeping forks out of them i guess.

seriously, if departments actually gave out toasters for tickets i would stop everything that moves
could you imagine cops selling those things off the back of a truck at the end of each month?
Link Posted: 3/3/2008 1:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
could you imagine cops selling those things off the back of a truck at the end of each month?

Better idea:

Cop, having just pulled over typical ARFCOMmer for FTS:

"Good evening, sir... may I see your driver's license and regi... (notices bolt face logo on laptop in passsenger seat with flashlight sitting next to it) say, is that the new Fenix light? I've heard that thing's pretty damn bright.

Oh, you're carrying? Well, I'm not gonna get into the old .45 v. 9mm debate... hey, you wanna buy a toaster?"
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 5:51:49 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better idea:

Cop, having just pulled over typical ARFCOMmer for FTS:

"Good evening, sir... may I see your driver's license and regi... (notices bolt face logo on laptop in passsenger seat with flashlight sitting next to it) say, is that the new Fenix light? I've heard that thing's pretty damn bright.

Oh, you're carrying? Well, I'm not gonna get into the old .45 v. 9mm debate... hey, you wanna buy a toaster?"

think of the level of professionalism it would raise us to.
It would be just like the Jamacian police that you see parked on the side of the road with their trunk open and a big cardboard sign that says Ganga!
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 5:54:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Don't use your flashing red lights!!!  They might cause people to have seizures while driving!!!  
Link Posted: 3/4/2008 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top