Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2007 5:51:30 PM EDT
This morning, at about 6:45, a guy on my squad made a traffic stop.  It was in an alley, right next to an apartment complex that is known to have had some problems. 2 guys inside, one had an id that appeared to be fake.  I go to back him up, and we try to figure out what the dea is with this ID, and if this guy who he says he is.  

About 10 minutes into the stop, dispatch calls me about an accident involving a bus and an AT and T truck on my beat.  I thought I told dispatch I'd be out backing the other crew, but maybe not.  So, I tell him that I'm out backing another crew.  About 5 minutes later, the dispatcher is on my butt again, about the accident on my beat.

I go to my car, and check if there any other crews in my district who aren't on a call.  There is one guy in service.  Now, this guy is a lazy bastard.  Everyone knows that.  I know its way too much to ask for this guy to just take the accident, so I figure if he can come over here and take my place and back up this officer on the stop, I can leave, and take the accident.

I send out a message to him over the MDT, asking if he can come back up the other crew, so I can take this accident to keep dispatch from having a brain hemorrage.  He responds back "Why?  What does he need?"  At this point, I about lost it.  What do you mean, what does he need?  He needs back up on a traffic stop, what's the issue?

Dispatch asks again if I can go on this accident, because now one of the passengers in the bus is claiming to be injured (naturally).  I respond that yes, I can, if he sends the other crew someone else to back him.  He calls the slug over the radio, and asks if he can come, and he asks "What does he need?".  The officer making the stop just says "To hell with this", keeps the fake id, and sends the car on its way.

We take the accident, and go back to the district.  I see the officer who wouldn't provide back up to the other officer and he responds "WELL, YOU SHOULDN'T BE OUT MAKING TRAFFIC STOPS AT 7:00 ANYWAY (we get off at 0800).  What?  Does he (the other officer) need you to babysit him for?"  I about lost it on him.  I ambushed our sergeant in the hallway, and gave him an earful.  He basically responded that he knows this guy is a problem officer and a slug, but what can he do?

Am I wrong here?  If another officer asks me to come help him on a stop, I don't ask "WHY?", I just go.  Heck, I might have even just taken the piddly traffic accident myself, so the officer could stay.   Instead, this lazy bastard was probably inside the district talking to another lazy officer, and didn't want to go out and work in the rain.  What say you guys?
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:01:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
This morning, at about 6:45, a guy on my squad made a traffic stop.  It was in an alley, right next to an apartment complex that is known to have had some problems. 2 guys inside, one had an id that appeared to be fake.  I go to back him up, and we try to figure out what the dea is with this ID, and if this guy who he says he is.  

About 10 minutes into the stop, dispatch calls me about an accident involving a bus and an AT and T truck on my beat.  I thought I told dispatch I'd be out backing the other crew, but maybe not.  So, I tell him that I'm out backing another crew.  About 5 minutes later, the dispatcher is on my butt again, about the accident on my beat.

I go to my car, and check if there any other crews in my district who aren't on a call.  There is one guy in service.  Now, this guy is a lazy bastard.  Everyone knows that.  I know its way too much to ask for this guy to just take the accident, so I figure if he can come over here and take my place and back up this officer on the stop, I can leave, and take the accident.

I send out a message to him over the MDT, asking if he can come back up the other crew, so I can take this accident to keep dispatch from having a brain hemorrage.  He responds back "Why?  What does he need?"  At this point, I about lost it.  What do you mean, what does he need?  He needs back up on a traffic stop, what's the issue?

Dispatch asks again if I can go on this accident, because now one of the passengers in the bus is claiming to be injured (naturally).  I respond that yes, I can, if he sends the other crew someone else to back him.  He calls the slug over the radio, and asks if he can come, and he asks "What does he need?".  The officer making the stop just says "To hell with this", keeps the fake id, and sends the car on its way.

We take the accident, and go back to the district.  I see the officer who wouldn't provide back up to the other officer and he responds "WELL, YOU SHOULDN'T BE OUT MAKING TRAFFIC STOPS AT 7:00 ANYWAY (we get off at 0800).  What?  Does he (the other officer) need you to babysit him for?"  I about lost it on him.  I ambushed our sergeant in the hallway, and gave him an earful.  He basically responded that he knows this guy is a problem officer and a slug, but what can he do?

Am I wrong here?  If another officer asks me to come help him on a stop, I don't ask "WHY?", I just go.  Heck, I might have even just taken the piddly traffic accident myself, so the officer could stay.   Instead, this lazy bastard was probably inside the district talking to another lazy officer, and didn't want to go out and work in the rain.  What say you guys?

I hate folks like that. They are the reason people get hurt.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Letter of reprimand.  Dereliction of duty.  Hang enough paper and the bad apples go in the trash.  

SGT sounds like a POS too--he can fix this.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Had a couple officers like that at the Maximum Security prison I worked at, too.

It's really hard to get lazy people fired if they do "bare minimum" work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a Sgt's responsibility.  It's what he's supposed to take care of.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#5]
We have what's called district integrity on my dept, however, if you are engaged as a cover unit for another officer that needs the cover, then 1) you advise dispatch that you are 10-6 covering another officer & have the crash reassigned to the available unit, 2) dispatch could have taken it upon themselves to do the same while wasting time & pestering you while sending the available unit to your beat to take the crash invest, or 3) your commander could have stepped up & directed the available unit to take the invest if he was privvy to the call. Don't rely on a commander to catch these things all the time when you can take the initiative & direct dispatch if you are engaged in an officer safety activity. All officers at any level should be leaders regardless of billet. Lastly, dispatch works for the officers.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Yep.. sounds like the Sgt. isn't doing his job... This is bullshit... And then it's the same POS officer's that wonder why it was such a slow response when HE is the one calling for back-up whether a fight or shots fired call  People like that have no business wearing a badge.  If I can't trust you with my life, then you don't need to be on the same shift as me, or even on the department for that matter.

ETA- I have to agree with the above poster as well.. When dispatch is on your ass, yo let them know your 10-6, and then THEY should assign the accident to the POS...
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:20:29 PM EDT
[#7]
We called folks like that Bravo Foxtrot when I was in the Army.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
what a POS. start a paper trail.

BTW, i wonder what his screen name is?

Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, Being a LT, I would confront your Sergeant.  The Sergeant should have ordered the lazy officer to take the accident, and if he did not go, charge him.  The back up was more important. An accident will have EMS on the scene.  Then I(being a lt) would have confronted the dispatcher. How dare you call an officer off of a back up.  Dude, Your sergeant has a problem, go to your commander.  Plus your sergeant should be backing you up.  When I work the field, I go to back ups.  Hell, I ran out from desk duty to go to a gunjob.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd hate for something to go wrong on your end and you would have to call/rely on him for back up. He'd probably respond, "why, you can't handle it?"
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#11]
That sounds like BS. You were in the middle of another calling backing someone up. If your co-worker can not realize this and just take your call or take your place as back-up, then he needs a talking to. At my department we have people that do not get along. They keep a professional relationship with the other officer but, don't chat with the officer about his day and personal stuff. The difference is if the officer needs help they respond. As soon as the call is done they go back in-service and don't chat about the call for a few. I don't think there is one officer in my department that would pull a BS stunt that, what does Good luck with this slug.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Blue Falcons abound
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#13]
The only question I ask when called as a second unit is an enthusiastic "Ooh boy, what do ya got?"
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:36:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only question I ask when called as a second unit is an enthusiastic "Ooh boy, what do ya got?"

Yep, all the fun...half the paperwork.

I'd file a complaint against that POS.  When someone asks for help you don't ask why you just go.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:00:04 AM EDT
[#15]
This

then this

then this

then this

then this

and finally this

any questions?

Joe
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:05:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
This

then this

then this

then this

then this

and finally this

any questions?

Joe

Joe,
 You forgot:

and what the OP was doing
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#17]
I forgot to add to my original post that a blanket party sounds appropriate for that nasty.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#18]
At my job the slug wouldn't get any backup anymore (not that I condone that). After a couple of guys go 10-7 with flat tires he will get the hint.

I am a Patrol Sgt. and I would have taken control of the situation and had the slug respond.

But then my guys don't do much proactive stuff that close to shift change since all the accidents come in with people going to work.  If there is something they just have to stop they can do it and we work around it.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:41:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Besides the guy being an issue, it is a direct, poor supervision issue.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:47:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:35:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
We called folks like that Bravo Foxtrot when I was in the Army.

Click here for the tee shirt
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#22]
The first thing I would have done was told dispatch over the air that you were busy and that you were not going to leave your partner.  Then I would have told them to send another officer if it was that much of a priority call.  

After all was said and done I would have confronted both the officer and the dispatcher.

Sounds like the officer needs a swift kick in the ass.  Offer one or tell him to get his head out of his ass.

Nothing worse that a POS officer.  

We have one that will never back you up and has outwardly said that she[\s]the officer "does not go hands on" with people.  Has stood next to an officer while they were on the ground fighting with two guys on more than one occasion.  Then has the audacity to complain to the sgt when she[\s] doesn't get back up fast enough.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The first thing I would have done was told dispatch over the air that you were busy and that you were not going to leave your partner.  Then I would have told them to send another officer if it was that much of a priority call.  

You are assigned and busy... send someone else.

You were WAY to kind to even consider leaving. Now, then ew guy showing up has to figure out what is going on, get the whole story, and will lose any info you gained that could help in the car stop.

The Sgt. should be buried in the dude's butt for stuff like this.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are assigned and busy... send someone else.

You were WAY to kind to even consider leaving. Now, then ew guy showing up has to figure out what is going on, get the whole story, and will lose any info you gained that could help in the car stop.

The Sgt. should be buried in the dude's butt for stuff like this.

+1  

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
yup
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#26]

The officer is a problem, dispatch is a problem, but the Sgt is the real problem (close to retirement, is he?).

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:13:21 PM EDT
[#27]
To the OP, I wholeheartedly agree with what the others have said. This guy is a POS, and he needs to turn in his badge and find a welfare line if he is only there to collect a check.

In my department we have some guys who are proactive (like me), some who just take calls, and one who refuses to do much of anything (like your a-hole-in-question). He recently told our dispatcher he wasn't going on a particular call because he had worked too much already that day. She logged it and wrote a memo to our chief. Even though he's got almost 20 years in, he's probably on his way out beacuse this isn't the first time he's pulled this crap. I've already told the chief that I will resign before working with this guy.

Bottom line, the guy you are talking about is a turd, and it sounds like your Sgt. needs to find his balls, too. Make sure you write a memo and start a paper trail. That way, if his dereliction of duty gets someone hurt, it will be his butt on the line (along with his supervisor and the agency).

Edited for terrible grammar.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:34:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#29]
You should have told dispatch you were out backing the other officer the instant you were doing so. When they called you for the crash tell them over the air to reassign it because you are busy. End of story. IF they can't figure out to send the free car and call you again, refer them to the Sergeant.

Remember kids, don't be a
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
So what's with the blue falcon acronym?
I'm assuming it's in reference to this?

content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/7/71/200px-DynomuttComic.jpg

blue falcon old military synonym for buddy fucker

Link Posted: 12/5/2007 1:04:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm no cop so I can't say for certain, but it seems like in LE there's enough trouble floating around that he would eventually need backup himself.

That might be a good time to grab a coffee or something....
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I'm no cop so I can't say for certain, but it seems like in LE there's enough trouble floating around that he would eventually need backup himself.

That might be a good time to grab a coffee or something....

Or be 10-6 doing a "walkthrough" at Wally World.
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 4:56:56 AM EDT
[#34]
you should tase him... jk
Link Posted: 12/5/2007 8:35:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
yup

+2

As a long time police supervisor, and long time lurker on this site, I agree.

I would suspend the officer immediately pending IA, just to "catch" his attention.

Statements would be heard from my mouth like:

1. "I could get more out of a manniquin in uniform, in a patrol car, than you, and I don't have to pay it benefits."

2. "The other officers on this shift are tired of doing your work too, therefore in order to pay you less, for working less, I have to either have you demoted or fired, and I can't demote you !"

Charges ?   Dereliction of duty, Conduct unbecoming, failure to get along with others etc etc.,  and the hits just keep on coming......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top