Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2007 7:09:35 AM EDT

I need to carry a back up at work. My issued carry weapon is a glock 22. I have a Kahr P45 now that I could carry at work, but it stays at home with the wifey. I need to either leave the P45 at home with her and buy a new bug, or use the P45 as a bug and buy a new handgun to leave at home with her. A guy at work has a LNIB glock 27 that I can pick up for $300. Should I buy it and use it as a bug or use the Kahr as a bug, or should I buy something totally different like a .38 revolver ??? Also which would be best for her to have at home?

Link Posted: 11/27/2007 7:11:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The G27 @ $300 is a steal, and it uses the same magazines as your G22.  And you use the department's ammo when qualifying, the manual of arms is the same.  That's a no-brainer (and my set-up as well).

Regarding the wife's gun, give her whatever she shoots best.  Sell the Kahr if necessary and use the funds to buy whatever she can shoot best.

You're welcome.  

edit

The dupe thread you started in GD should be good for comedy relief.  Oh, yeah, buy a Taurus Raging Bull.  Does that come in .500 S&W yet?
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:27:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The G27 @ $300 is a steal, and it uses the same magazines as your G22.  And you use the department's ammo when qualifying, the manual of arms is the same.  That's a no-brainer (and my set-up as well).

Regarding the wife's gun, give her whatever she shoots best.  Sell the Kahr if necessary and use the funds to buy whatever she can shoot best.

You're welcome.  

edit

The dupe thread you started in GD should be good for comedy relief.  Oh, yeah, buy a Taurus Raging Bull.  Does that come in .500 S&W yet?

+1
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 8:37:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

You're welcome.  

edit

I started one there first and then realized I shouldve asked here first.....oh well, lesson learned!!!
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]
With the G22 I would go with the G27, especially at that price! Like the other posters said- everything is the same. I carry an S&W airweight .357, but I'm issued a HK USP .45. I hardly know the .357 is there, which is nice. I like carrying the revolver becauce in my mind I know it will always work. If your wife likes the Kahr I'd leave it for her. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're welcome.  

edit

+1

+2

Link Posted: 11/28/2007 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats a great deal!  You can use the same mags & it works just like your duty weapon.  Same set up I use on duty.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Go with the G27. Same Ammo, same Magazines.   From expirience, I had S&W 9mm for duty. I carried a Kel-tec P11 as a back up.  Same ammo, and same mags. perfect.  Now my department went to Sig 229, and there is no subcompact gun that uses the same mags for easy second gun carry.  Now I use a S&W 642. Carrying the differenct extra ammo can be combersome.  And If for some reason the G22 is lost/broken/stolen while working, you will still have extra ammo/mags for the G27.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:30:01 PM EDT
[#9]
I agree, go with the G-27, even if you can't get the $300 one. From a firearms instructor standpoint all functions and controls are the same as your main weapon. Under the stress of the moment, especially if you need to draw your back up, all the other weapons training you have gone through with your G-22 will still apply and you will be able to fight well. Also the mags from your G-22 provide a ready supply of ammo for the BUG.

Regarding your wife, I've been through this myself also, so let me suggest this. Let her decide which guns she feels most comfortable with, then support her choice with all the training and practice you can provide for her. My wife trained with a revolver as one of her first firearms. As many autos as I have and shoot, she is still more comfortable with the revolver, so that's what she has, and there's another at home. Don't make the mistake of trying to impose your love of autos on her if she's not comfortable with them, it could backfire.

Good luck with both!

"Still training Sheepdogs, one puppy at a time."
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 5:48:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I ended up buying the G27....for $300 you can't go wrong.  But I also got a good deal on a .38 revolver at the local pawn shop.  Its not the nicest in the world but it's an almost new Charter Arms 2000 Undercover hammerless .38 for $150
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 7:30:30 PM EDT
[#11]
GOOD JOICES!!!!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Since you went with the 27, what holster are you going to carry it in?  After years of trying to hide a G27 I went with the Renegade ankle holster.  Ankle holsters aren't the best thing, but it's the only holster that didn't make me look like I had a grapefruit sized goiter somewhere on my body!  The nice thing about Renegade, if you call the factory, you can order it for over the boot wear, so the holster can sit lower on your ankle.

ETA:  I still carry the G27 on occasion, but for the past few months I've been liking my S&W 340PD in my pocket.  Don't even know it's there!
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 5:46:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm a little late to chime in on the gun purchase, since it looks like you already made the buy.

Good choice though.  I carry a G17 on duty and my BUG is a G19 in an ankle holster.  I have the uncle mike's velcro/cordura ankle rig and the velcro strap comes very long so that the user can cut it for fit.  The un-cut strap allows the holster to fit over my boots instead of having to wear low-top shoes.

I've been using it for 5 years now and love the set-up.  Several foot pursuits, have never lost the gun or had it shift on me.

I also have a belly band holster from a company called WRB.  You can find them on the web, but they come to all the local Fort Worth gun shows.  It also holds the gun really well when I put it there from time to time.  The 27 in your case should hold even better since it's even lighter than my 19.

Good luck, stay safe.... wear your vest...  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:26:32 AM EDT
[#14]
If you consider using the ankle holster for the G-27, give the Galco one a try, the one with the neoprene strap and sheepskin backing. In 10 years I went through 2 of them wearing them daily in all kinds of weather, so the initial cost figures out to be pretty minimal. Very secure, very comfortable. Never once had the gun come out when I did want it to.

"Still training Sheepdogs, one puppy at a time."
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 7:12:29 PM EDT
[#15]
A S&W J Frame, preferably a hammerless model is hard to beat. You can jam it into someone's gut and pull the trigger 5 times and hove no fear about it jamming. Try that with a Glock
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I ended up buying the G27....for $300 you can't go wrong.  But I also got a good deal on a .38 revolver at the local pawn shop.  Its not the nicest in the world but it's an almost new Charter Arms 2000 Undercover hammerless .38 for $150

Small.  Nice ankle rig filler.

Two BUGs for $450. <shakes head> I hate you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top