Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2007 10:55:23 PM EDT
taser.com/products/law/Pages/XREP.aspx

These might be the coolest things I have ever seen.  I know we have a bunch of Taser instructors lurking here; just wondering if any of you are "beta" testers.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks non lethal to me
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 11:45:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Those things look real neat, unfortunately i also hear that they cost a $1000 a cartridge. In my 870 police thats a $7000 payload.

I dont think that any dept's in my area springing for that kind of dough any time in the near future.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that they are $100 a pop, not $1000, there was a article in tactical weapons about them.  I don't think that they would be as effective as a shot from a regular taser because the prongs are so close, but the extended range and accuracy would be a huge plus..
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:17:42 AM EDT
[#4]
according to Tazer's website $98 a shot.

They look like a good time, I want some.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't taze me, bro.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Got an email on it yesterday. Gives a 20 second ride so you have time to advance and take the subject into custody.

OMG!!! That 5 second ride had me in diapers for a week!  (Just kidding) LOL

I'm afraid I won't be raising my hand in class to take a hit from this one.

20 seconds of juice and I might start calling my sergeant "mommy" I don't think he will like that.

The area I work in will probably mandate I get issued a box of them. LOL
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think that they are $100 a pop, not $1000, there was a article in tactical weapons about them.  I don't think that they would be as effective as a shot from a regular taser because the prongs are so close, but the extended range and accuracy would be a huge plus..

man i really need to start verifying my sources more before i start giving out advice.
anyhow if its only $100, then yeah it would totally be worth buying one or two.

i just wonder if it packs the same punch of 50,000 volts as the X-26. My dept wont issue tasers so im not personally informed but it seems like people drop like a sac of potatoes when hit by the handheld unit. The videos they were showing of the shotgun cartridge made it look like people werent falling as fast. it just makes me wonder if they can pack enough battery energy and capacitor punch in a unit that small. if it still kicks as hard then i guess its good to go.

also projectiles that are $100 a shot reminds me of a chris rock skit where he says that we shouldnt ban guns to reduce innocent injuries in situations like drive by's, he said that we should just make bullets $5000.00. I know i wouldnt be spraying the block or missing anything for that matter when those cartridges are $100 a pop.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
They have some real interesting technology thats for sure.  Inside is a controller that they managed to cram with software.  

One evil little trick is that when the "spikey ball" deploys out the back the taser goes into one mode.  If the person grabs that part, then the "computer" inside recognizes the difference and changes how it shocks.  The hand touching that spikey ball causes another  circuit to form between the front of the device, through the arm, and back into the back end.  

Basically, if you grab at it trying to pull it out, it shocks the piss out of you worse.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 11:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They have some real interesting technology thats for sure.  Inside is a controller that they managed to cram with software.  

One evil little trick is that when the "spikey ball" deploys out the back the taser goes into one mode.  If the person grabs that part, then the "computer" inside recognizes the difference and changes how it shocks.  The hand touching that spikey ball causes another  circuit to form between the front of the device, through the arm, and back into the back end.  

Basically, if you grab at it trying to pull it out, it shocks the piss out of you worse.  

Damn that sounds like a cool toy......I am just security, so I won't get to play with these but it kinda sounds almost cost effective to get these puppies since most laces already have shotguns and the regular taser cartridges ain't that cheap in the first place.  

I wonder how well they would work for deterrent against wildlife?  Pain isn't much of a deterrent against most animals, but getting the crap shocked out of them might be effective against nuisance animals.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn that sounds like a cool toy......I am just security, so I won't get to play with these but it kinda sounds almost cost effective to get these puppies since most laces already have shotguns and the regular taser cartridges ain't that cheap in the first place.  

I wonder how well they would work for deterrent against wildlife?  Pain isn't much of a deterrent against most animals, but getting the crap shocked out of them might be effective against nuisance animals.  

Seems like an awfully expensive solution to "nuisance" animals.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Seems like an awfully expensive solution to "nuisance" animals.

Better than the tranq gun and a free helo ride to nowhere.  It is either that or they get offed, which is pretty common too....but can be a PIA in more urban areas.  I ain't saying the new shell would be a solution, but possibly an alternative.  It was just a thought more or less.  

I am just a little psyched about the new round and am interested in hearing about it when it becomes available to you guys.  If it works out it just seems like it would be an awesome tool for the LEO.  The Taser as it is makes me nervous as you gotta be kinda close to use it and in a position to make sure that both barbs get into the subject, and there is little or no chance for a follow up.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 12:48:54 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm predicting a rather large failure on the device's ability to actually work, it's easily ripped out and discarded.

It might find a niche though, who knows.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:34:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Just another tool in the box to use
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like an expensive solution.

Still, I was instantly curious as to how that would look sticking out of Nancy Pelosi's eyeball.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#15]
We've looked at it,  pretty much the decision was that we would never use it and the training/procurement was not worth the $$$

We just decided to keep shooting people with bean bags.
Link Posted: 10/12/2007 9:16:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top