Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2007 9:31:04 AM EDT
Gentlemen,

I currently live in CA and I am contemplating taking a job at a outdoor range and gunshop.

My only concern is that a police background investigator might label me a "Gun Nut"?

I have already had background packets ask "how many guns do you own?" so I am a little reluctant to have a job that involves firearms...  seems stupid but...

The job looks like fun, running an outdoor range plus they have a custom shop and are located in a really nice rural community.

Am I being paranoid?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:50:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Yes.

easy for you to say you are from Texas!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you are of excellent moral character I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Depends... can you get me a deal on ammo??

Seriously as long as you are not a nut case it should be fine.  At least your working.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:25:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Unlikely to make any difference.  Departments know that you have to make ends meet and it's just a job.  

Now if you put down "drug dealer" or "professional pimp" then that might raise some eyebrows!!!!

Otherwise, won't be considered anything more than a job....unless you are applying for a super liberal area and in that case, you don't want to work there anyway!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends on the department.

In the mid-1990s, I had a San Francisco PD Backgrounds Investigator hand me a piece of binder paper and ask me to "write down all your weapons".  My initial reaction was so bad that all the investigators in the room looked over.  I felt that an official inquiry into my firearms ownership would warrant an official form not a blank piece of paper.  Besides did she think that I could provide a list off of the top of my head?  

Eventually I faxed over a list of firearms registered to me.  Remember long guns unless registered AWs are not registered.  Besides when she said "weapons" I thought "You want my Benchmade CQ7 on that list?"

On the Psychological test, one question is "Do you own any assault weapons, e.g. AR-15, Uzi?"  Since I owned semi-automatic HKs at the time, I answered "NO."  Assault weapons are select-fire in my mind and HKs are not AR-15s, nor are they Uzis.  Don't think I was able to explain the semantics of that argument.

Talk to gunfriendly officers of the departments you are interested in.  See if that antigun bias still looms within.  Things may have changed since 9/11.  Nevada didn't care that my list of guns was 2 pages long!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top