Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2007 1:32:23 AM EDT
I want to teach my son how o drive a stick shift

He has NO experience with a manual transmission, and I'm not comfortable teaching him on the roads here.

He has a license, and no tickets, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Where can I go, to teach him how a clutch works?

TIA

Dawn
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:10:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Find a nearly empty large parking lot like a grocery store or mall either late at night or very early in the morning. Its very common to find people trying to learn to drive a stick those places.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Schools or a metro lot.  It is actually a $66 ticket in King County (KCC 28.96.010.A.18 - Driver training, conducting on transit property) but I would much rather you have your son 'riding the bucking bronco' in an empty parking lot than on the road...So I wouldnt write you.

-BJohnson
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 3:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know CA laws so to play it safe I will suggest anyplace private thats not publicly accessible.  Regardless, I'd think any empty parking lot would be safe.  Any cop who'd write you a ticket while teaching your son to drive would have to be one helluva prick.

Does California not have a learner permit program that allows the licensee to only operate a vehicle in the company of a licensed driver?
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, empty lot.  School parking lots during the summer/weekends are perfect for this.  If you really wanna get crazy you can get some orange cones and set up different scenarios. (more for learning to drive that learning to drive stick, but all the same.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I found a woman teaching her son to drive a stick shift about a year ago...in a large church parking lot.  She came right out and told me that she felt like she needed all the help she could get with the task as it wasn't going well, so she brought him closer to God.

True story.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, well im just about to turn 17, and i recall learning to drive a stick.

i was in Kingman county, for eveyone that doesnt know anything about some of the outlying countys in kansas its po dunk to the extreme. Well i had a family friend thats parents lived out there and he had been drinking since 5pm and its now around 9-10pm and i decided i wanted to learn to drive a manual so he offered to teach me on my moms car.
we took the car around in the neighborhoods but i was really bad at working the clutch after a stop and with all these stop signs in this hick town he started to tell me to run the stop signs. After a little bit i got it to some extent so we took it out on the main streets(which seem like a ghost town at this hour) and then i realize that no only is he drunk, but he actually brought a beer into the car to teach a minor that has no DL to drive a car.

Its a fun experience and im glad i learned how to drive a manual car i hope your son loves it as much as i do.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top