Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/12/2007 1:01:24 PM EDT
It's a bit of a strage feeling really. I am changing agencies, so I had to turn my old badge in and I haven't gotten to the new agency yet, so no badge for a few more weeks. I guess it really doesn't make that much of a difference, accept I live in VT on the NH boarder. I can't carry in NH anymore, and I go over there about every day. I am moving to St. Louis. My wife and I went on a house hunting trip, and it wasn't very comfortable not being able to carry. I had a knife, and pepper spray, but that just doesn't always cut it. I also don't like that I'll be driving across the country unarmed when we do move. And driving through NY with a trunk full of guns that aren't legal in that state. I have spoke to the ATF about it and they assure me as long as I'm just passing through it's perfectly legal, but there is always someone who won't agree with that. Chances are it will never come up anyways.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 1:15:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck in the new pursuit.

I remember when I'd turned in my badge & credentials for the .mil FD but hadn't yet been sworn in for the City FD. All I had was my badge from my VFD.

Wouldn't you know it, I got nailed for speeding on my way home from my buddy's house in WI @ 0130.

Luckily, the Deputy worked for the same town an academy classmate had, and knew him. I got an abbreviated version of "the spiel" and let go with a "be safe".
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
How long were you at the old agency? if it was more than 15 years ( I think ), you are still covered inder 218, IIRC.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Only 6 years.
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah went through that this summer, left my previous FD due to a move, and went through about two months before finding a new department and finally being able to make runs again. It sucked, but I got my level II class in during the summer while I had the time, and that at least gave me something to do fire related in the meantime and keep my head in the game.

Good luck on the move!
Link Posted: 9/12/2007 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I can't carry in NH anymore, and I go over there about every day. I am moving to St. Louis. My wife and I went on a house hunting trip, and it wasn't very comfortable not being able to carry. I had a knife, and pepper spray, but that just doesn't always cut it. I also don't like that I'll be driving across the country unarmed when we do move.

All I ask, as a fellow sworn defender of the Constitution of the United States, please read what the OP has posted and if you do not support the nationwide Right-To-Carry for all law-abiding citizens . . . please reconsider.

As a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army, I have no more firearms privileges than any Joe-Six-Pack who lives around me 99% of the time.  Fortunately in CA, they offer a .mil exemption so that we can PCS in and keep our "assault weapons" . . . I have more weapons and driving training that most LEO's, but I'm not afforded the privileges that you fellows deeply enjoy.  I and other like me are very jealous.

Guard what you have, but stand up for everyone else as well, I beg of you.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:04:05 AM EDT
[#6]
when are you leaving, what are you driving, and what roads will you be on?  I'll make sure to call 1800hiredgoons to car jack you every step of the way.   Just kidding.  I know what you mean, I went through the same ordeal moving out here.  You do like 99% of travelers do.  Abide by the laws of each state.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 1:48:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I can't carry in NH anymore, and I go over there about every day. I am moving to St. Louis. My wife and I went on a house hunting trip, and it wasn't very comfortable not being able to carry. I had a knife, and pepper spray, but that just doesn't always cut it. I also don't like that I'll be driving across the country unarmed when we do move.

All I ask, as a fellow sworn defender of the Constitution of the United States, please read what the OP has posted and if you do not support the nationwide Right-To-Carry for all law-abiding citizens . . . please reconsider.

As a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army, I have no more firearms privileges than any Joe-Six-Pack who lives around me 99% of the time.  Fortunately in CA, they offer a .mil exemption so that we can PCS in and keep our "assault weapons" . . . I have more weapons and driving training that most LEO's, but I'm not afforded the privileges that you fellows deeply enjoy.  I and other like me are very jealous.

We dont have a choice, we have to carry. We carry because some people want to take our lives at times.  I cant tell you how many times Ive ran into some scum bag I put in jail at Wal-Mart while off duty.  There are reasons for the nation wide carry thing,  Military and Police are not the same.  You serve your country world wide during times of war and get to carry some pretty nice weapons too.  LEO serves their country at home fighting a war on crime, a war we get very little credit for fighting.  Im not saying you shouldnt be allowed to carry a gun, im just saying there is a big difference in our roles.  I support our military, alot, but I wish people supported us a little more too.  It gets old hearing how we dont know how to do our jobs better than the public does.  The public needs to remember most cops are well trained and educated in their art.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 2:33:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We dont have a choice, we have to carry. We carry because some people want to take our lives at times.  I cant tell you how many times Ive ran into some scum bag I put in jail at Wal-Mart while off duty.  There are reasons for the nation wide carry thing,  Military and Police are not the same.  You serve your country world wide during times of war and get to carry some pretty nice weapons too.  LEO serves their country at home fighting a war on crime, a war we get very little credit for fighting.  Im not saying you shouldnt be allowed to carry a gun, im just saying there is a big difference in our roles.  I support our military, alot, but I wish people supported us a little more too.  It gets old hearing how we dont know how to do our jobs better than the public does.  The public needs to remember most cops are well trained and educated in their art.  

Poopy, I have as much right to go home safely at the end of a business trip to NY or CA or hell, even down the street from my house here in "the Land that CCW laws forgot", as you do at the end of a shift or while you're out at Walmart.  That right exists whether the law says I can carry a gun to do so or not - the gun just makes it a hell of a lot easier.

While I think it's great that you can protect yourself anywhere in the U.S., your life is no more important than mine.  The disparity between our CCW status shouldn't be based on training, or ability, or even profession: Self-Defense is a basic human need.  The laws can change but they need all our support.  Why?

The sad fact is that the blue part I highlighted above applies to all of us, including those of us who don't wear a badge.

Apologies if I misunterstood what you were trying to say.

bruh44, Congrats on the new job.  In the mean time, welcome to the world.  I'd tell you to enjoy the time off, but it can be hard to do so without "piece" of mind. Stay safe but don't break any laws.

<-- Has gotta go to work now (unarmed) , so that he's not late to meet up with a training partner (Police firearms instructor) for breakfast and range time.

<we now return you to you your regularly scheduled thread>
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:05:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Poopy, I have as much right to go home safely at the end of a business trip to NY or CA or hell, even down the street from my house here in "the Land that CCW laws forgot", as you do at the end of a shift or while you're out at Walmart.  That right exists whether the law says I can carry a gun to do so or not - the gun just makes it a hell of a lot easier.

While I think it's great that you can protect yourself anywhere in the U.S., your life is no more important than mine.  The disparity between our CCW status shouldn't be based on training, or ability, or even profession: Self-Defense is a basic human need.  The laws can change but they need all our support.  Why?

The sad fact is that the blue part I highlighted above applies to all of us, including those of us who don't wear a badge.

Apologies if I misunterstood what you were trying to say.

bruh44, Congrats on the new job.  In the mean time, welcome to the world.  I'd tell you to enjoy the time off, but it can be hard to do so without "piece" of mind. Stay safe but don't break any laws.

<-- Has gotta go to work now (unarmed) , so that he's not late to meet up with a training partner (Police firearms instructor) for breakfast and range time.

<we now return you to you your regularly scheduled thread>

Yes you misunderstood what i was saying.  I think its great you want to carry and I support that, but I dont make laws.  If your not LEO, there is a strong, VERY strong chance ill need my gun more than you, its a simple fact.  Sorry you dont have nation wide carry but please dont hate the cops because we need it more than everyone else.

Again im not a law maker, just stating a fact.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:08:05 AM EDT
[#10]
you know if i had to make a choice between obeying the letter of the law and protecting my family i think i would do the latter.  

just a thought.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:13:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

When I left LEO work after 8 years, I had to turn in all my stuff. I was very lucky in that the Chief was a good guy and allowed me to keep my detective badge as a memento of my service. A couple of years later, I was allowed to buy my old sidearm (92F) when they got traded in.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:21:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes you misunderstood what i was saying.  I think its great you want to carry and I support that, but I dont make laws.  If your not LEO, there is a strong, VERY strong chance ill need my gun more than you, its a simple fact.  Sorry you dont have nation wide carry but please dont hate the cops because we need it more than everyone else.

so i suppose if your off duty on vacation out of state you'll need a firearm more than i will also.

statements like this are what foster the us vs them opinions.

while it's true you go into harms way on a more frequent basis, the basic right of self defense should apply to everyone no matter where they are. unlike LE, we don't have the luxery of backup right around the corner and a radio.

I didnt say I have any more rights to carry than you do, but the law says I do.    Go back and re-read what I said.  Like I said, I dont make the laws.  If you need to carry a gun every where you go then start making some phone calls and start your own grass roots movement.  You can call it "THE BEER SLAYER FOUNDATION."  Heck, I'll even join if you give me an LEO discount and a free window sticker for my car.  like I said I dont make laws.  Just so you know, I do support the 2nd amendment and your right to defend yourself.  From the way you voice your opinion I get a very slight feeling you have some thing against cops, like we're all out to get you.  So If you think im against you, you're the one with the problem not me.   Im friend not foe, unless you're a criminal then I am out to get you.    

ETA:  In case you havent heard, many cops have died alone, without back up.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Meanwhile, back at the ranch....

When I left LEO work after 8 years, I had to turn in all my stuff. I was very lucky in that the Chief was a good guy and allowed me to keep my detective badge as a memento of my service. A couple of years later, I was allowed to buy my old sidearm (92F) when they got traded in.

I bet it was nice getting that old pistol back?
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:36:30 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I didnt say I have any more rights to carry than you do, the law says I do.    Go back and re-read what i said.  You can call it THE BEER SLAYER FOUNDATION for all i care.  Heck I'll even join if you give ma an LEO discount.  Like I said, I dont make the laws.  If you need to carry a gun every where you go then start making some phone calls and start your own grass roots movement.  If you think im against you, you're the one with the problem not me.  

No, you made the same old and tired "Some animals are MORE equal than other animals..." speech
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:44:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didnt say I have any more rights to carry than you do, the law says I do.    Go back and re-read what i said.  You can call it THE BEER SLAYER FOUNDATION for all i care.  Heck I'll even join if you give ma an LEO discount.  Like I said, I dont make the laws.  If you need to carry a gun every where you go then start making some phone calls and start your own grass roots movement.  If you think im against you, you're the one with the problem not me.  

No, you made the same old and tired "Some animals are MORE equal than other animals..." speech

you need to re-quote what I said.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 3:53:02 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I don't.

You said that LEO's have a greater risk to assault due to their duties.  Many of us disagree, because anything can happen anywhere at anytime.  Maybe with some more experience (law enforcement and worldly) you'd recognize that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:10:16 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, I don't.

You said that LEO's have a greater risk to assault due to their duties.  Many of us disagree, because anything can happen anywhere at anytime.  Maybe with some more experience (law enforcement and worldly) you'd recognize that.

Experience? Ok, you do have more arfcom posts than I do so you must be all knowing.

Lets see,

So you deal with felons every day?   So you plan to deal with felons for the rest of your working life?  You deal with felons who have been arrested for rape, murder, armed robbery?  You deal with felons who have killed, by that I mean shot, stabbed, beat over the head with a bat killed?   No you dont, but cops do.  Go back and read my posts.  Your the one who needs to recognize.  Police do have a far greater chance at being hurt by criminals than non leo I dont care what you say.  Im not going to argue this with you.  

ETA: Back on topic  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:24:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm with poopy pants in that cops have a bigger need if they live where they work.  That being said, I'm all for nationwide CCW.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:24:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Police do have a far greater chance at being hurt by criminals than non leo I dont care what you say.  Im not going to argue this with you.  

Fair enough.  Then the obvious solution is to disband all law enforcement, and then there won't be any victims!
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:28:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Good luck in the new pursuit.

I remember when I'd turned in my badge & credentials for the .mil FD but hadn't yet been sworn in for the City FD. All I had was my badge from my VFD.

Wouldn't you know it, I got nailed for speeding on my way home from my buddy's house in WI @ 0130.

Luckily, the Deputy worked for the same town an academy classmate had, and knew him. I got an abbreviated version of "the spiel" and let go with a "be safe".
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:29:30 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm with poopy pants in that cops have a bigger need if they live where they work.  That being said, I'm all for nationwide CCW.

I have no problems with nation wide carry.  Heck I feel airplane pilots should be allowed to carry too.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:30:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:31:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:34:24 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Police do have a far greater chance at being hurt by criminals than non leo I dont care what you say.  Im not going to argue this with you.  

Fair enough.  Then the obvious solution is to disband all law enforcement, and then there won't be any victims!

The obvious solution is to prevent anti law enforcement types from reproducing.  We(cops) would have a lot less work to do.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:36:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:41:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

so i suppose if your off duty on vacation out of state you'll need a firearm more than i will also.

statements like this are what foster the us vs them opinions.

while it's true you go into harms way on a more frequent basis, the basic right of self defense should apply to everyone no matter where they are. unlike LE, we don't have the luxery of backup right around the corner and a radio.

I didnt say I have any more rights to carry than you do, but the law says I do.    Go back and re-read what I said.  Like I said, I dont make the laws.  If you need to carry a gun every where you go then start making some phone calls and start your own grass roots movement.  You can call it "THE BEER SLAYER FOUNDATION."  Heck, I'll even join if you give me an LEO discount and a free window sticker for my car.  like I said I dont make laws.  Just so you know, I do support the 2nd amendment and your right to defend yourself.  From the way you voice your opinion I get a very slight feeling you have some thing against cops, like we're all out to get you.  So If you think im against you, you're the one with the problem not me.   Im friend not foe, unless you're a criminal then I am out to get you.    

yep and i have scraped more than few off the streets. like many of you i have been there and done that on the civillian side as well as .mil before i changed careers.

like i said above there is NO doubt you have a much higher probability on duty than i do. i choose to avoid such areas and situations, you run to them.

my point is comments like you have made drive a SERIOUS wedge between the "civillians" and LE. you guys want,need and expect our support yet make the statements like you have here.

YES LE has a definant NEED for a sidearm. but frankly in many areas so does anyone else. basing the "need" or "risk" as justification to carry the tools to defend yourself is just wrong.

we are all in this fight together. comments like those fuel stupidity in areas and have led to "civillians" losing the right to carry. We can't depend on the police to be everywhere <nor should we>.

didn't mean to sidetrack the thread. this is just something that really bugs me as i have seen a LOT of attitudes like this when i was a paramedic/fire/public safety officer.

Dude, all I can say is, im sorry you dont think I support your rights to carry...How many times must I say this, im all for the 2nd!   I think you misunderstood what i was saying to the soldier up above.  

One more time...Here it is...Beer Slayer, im not against you owning or packing heat man.  

Leave me alone ! damnit LOL!  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:44:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 4:46:39 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One more time...Here it is...Beer Slayer, im not against you owning or packing heat man.  

I leave me alone ! damnit LOL!  

never for a second thought you were.

i just wanted to make the point that such comments coming from the le community really get twisted and used against everyone.

My wife likes to twist my words around too.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 5:59:18 AM EDT
[#30]
MMMMM....pie

Anyways, to answer ShakenNotStirred, I have always though it was stupid that there isn't a CCW nationwide for other people as well. Next time I'm in DC up on the hill I'll tell them to get right on that.

FMD, heres a scenerio for ya: Your out camping with your family in where ever it is you camp, when you look across the road, and there is a jack ass you arrested for possesion of what ever, and he's got 3 of his friends with him, and they're all drunk. Situations like that is why the LEO nation wide carry came to be. Again, I agree you should be able to carry across the counrty too, just food for thought.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I am not far from St Louis about 40 miles east.  I always carry in St Louis  If you are going there and a non LEO  I would get a CCP as soon as you can.  That place is like the wild west right now.   If you need to know any thing about STL let me know I will help you out any way I can. Good luck  
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 6:47:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Ok guys, put down the boxing gloves.  I think that maybe both parties are kinda missing the boat and maybe lost the oars in the process.  I think that the only thing we all want, irregardless of our jobs, is nationwide CCW.  Yes, if your a LEO, then you have a higher risk because of your jobs.  I have always felt that officers should be able to CCW, and I support that.  I think that they should support my right to self defense and CCW in kind, that is all.  Law enforcement, when done right by good people (who most LEOs are, btw) is needed.  The only problem though, is that I don't have an officer protecting me 24/7.  I don't mind that because you have more important people to arrest but honestly, i just want to be as well prepared as you are for the unexpected.
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/13/2007 9:01:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Any chance of getting this back on topic?  

Good luck on the new job, bruh.

Sorry NorCal.

Link Posted: 9/13/2007 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:14:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

As a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army, I have no more firearms privileges than any Joe-Six-Pack who lives around me 99% of the time.  Fortunately in CA, they offer a .mil exemption so that we can PCS in and keep our "assault weapons" . . . I have more weapons and driving training that most LEO's, but I'm not afforded the privileges that you fellows deeply enjoy.  I and other like me are very jealous.Guard what you have, but stand up for everyone else as well, I beg of you.

Yeah, it shows almost daily in GD.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
MMMMM....pie

Anyways, to answer ShakenNotStirred, I have always though it was stupid that there isn't a CCW nationwide for other people as well. Next time I'm in DC up on the hill I'll tell them to get right on that.

FMD, heres a scenerio for ya: Your out camping with your family in where ever it is you camp, when you look across the road, and there is a jack ass you arrested for possesion of what ever, and he's got 3 of his friends with him, and they're all drunk. Situations like that is why the LEO nation wide carry came to be. Again, I agree you should be able to carry across the counrty too, just food for thought.

Well, not exactly...  
The reason nationwide carry came to be was basically 9/11. The fact that more ARMED police on the streets is a good thing for the country. The fact that I'm a Licensed Peace Officer in the state of Texas, and by virtue of my training, I will respond to feloneous acts by others. That response to crime should not be hindered just because I step over some invisible line on a map. I'm a professional peace officer. I'm expected to respond like one, anywhere I go. Nationwide carry just gives me the basic tools to perform as a peace officer, anywhere I go.

That privilege can be a real albatross around one's neck.

Now, that "privilege" to carry, is also a "duty" to respond. I'm never really "Off Duty". It makes for a long day in the saddle...

YMMV
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:36:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Welcome to a system where there is both a de facto and de jure system of First Class (TTBL®) and Second Class citizens.
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 5:55:45 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Welcome to a system where there is both a de facto and de jure system of First Class (TTBL®) and Second Class citizens.

Dial 1-800-BOO-HOOO
Link Posted: 9/14/2007 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You're allowed to transition NYS with guns that you legally posses, even if they don't comply with laws for residents of the state. You have up to 72 hours to get in and out. Good luck with the new job

I wasn't aware of that, thanks for the info. Hey U352 good to hear from you. I'm hoping the job I got in STL will lead me back to WNC in the next few years. I still have that Absynth from Europe I picked up a few years back. Hopefully I'll still have it when I run into you again.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 12:50:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Congrat on the new job, hope you enjoy it!
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 12:54:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Edit** Double Post
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 5:23:03 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
MMMMM....pie

Well, not exactly...  
The reason nationwide carry came to be was basically 9/11. The fact that more ARMED police on the streets is a good thing for the country. The fact that I'm a Licensed Peace Officer in the state of Texas, and by virtue of my training, I will respond to feloneous acts by others. That response to crime should not be hindered just because I step over some invisible line on a map. I'm a professional peace officer. I'm expected to respond like one, anywhere I go. Nationwide carry just gives me the basic tools to perform as a peace officer, anywhere I go.

Now, that "privilege" to carry, is also a "duty" to respond. I'm never really "Off Duty". It makes for a long day in the saddle...

YMMV

I'm not sure how nationwide carry authority gives you the basic tools to perform as a peace officer?  I'm 100% for HR218, but once you are outside of Texas, you have no LE authority or peace officer status, and are the same as a private citizen with a CCW.  Once outside your jurisdiction, lets say the state of Texas (if you're a state LEO), there is no duty to respond and yes you are 'off-duty'.  I'm an LEO and unless someone is trying to jack me/my family or I see a LEO in need of assistance, my rule of thumb is to call 911 and let the on-duty officers handle it.  Be a good witness.  HR218 made it VERY clear that the law only allows you to carry CCW, and does not convey ANY law enforcement authority or expectation for you to act.  Too many "what ifs?" (will I get misidentified as a bad guy, are there other bad guys posing as customers, no body armor, will my family get in the middle or injured, etc.) for my taste.
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 7:35:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Congrats on your new job bro!!!!   I hope you enjoy it....
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 9:58:17 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
<Remark removed. Read your IM. -NorCal_LEO>

IM read.  Apologies for treading on the BOTS COC.  I'll pay more attention to the specific board when I'm using the "Active Topics" search.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MMMMM....pie

Well, not exactly...  

YMMV

I'm not sure how nationwide carry authority gives you the basic tools to perform as a peace officer?  I'm 100% for HR218, but once you are outside of Texas, you have no LE authority or peace officer status, and are the same as a private citizen with a CCW.  Once outside your jurisdiction, lets say the state of Texas (if you're a state LEO), there is no duty to respond and yes you are 'off-duty'.  I'm an LEO and unless someone is trying to jack me/my family or I see a LEO in need of assistance, my rule of thumb is to call 911 and let the on-duty officers handle it.  Be a good witness.  HR218 made it VERY clear that the law only allows you to carry CCW, and does not convey ANY law enforcement authority or expectation for you to act.  Too many "what ifs?" (will I get misidentified as a bad guy, are there other bad guys posing as customers, no body armor, will my family get in the middle or injured, etc.) for my taste.

That woman that is being beaten and dragged into a car will appreciate your being such a good witness.

I guess when the time comes, it's up to each of us, LEO, or not, to do what we feel is right. For some, dialing 911 is enough. For others, we may feel the need to go a bit further. The situation will dictate the response.

The duty I have to respond doesn't come from a statute in some law book. It comes from a basic sense of doing what's right. I can't in good conscience just stand and watch some innocent get fucked over. The map grid coordinate I happen to be standing on at the time doesn't really factor into it. It's an American thing.

Once upon a time, this was a great nation because it was made up of people who weren't afraid to step up and do what's right. Americans didn't take shit off nobody.
I really miss those days.

This political correctness will be our undoing.

YMMV...
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
MMMMM....pie

Well, not exactly...  

YMMV

That woman that is being beaten and dragged into a car will appreciate your being such a good witness.

I guess when the time comes, it's up to each of us, LEO, or not, to do what we feel is right. For some, dialing 911 is enough. For others, we may feel the need to go a bit further. The situation will dictate the response.

The duty I have to respond doesn't come from a statute in some law book. It comes from a basic sense of doing what's right. I can't in good conscience just stand and watch some innocent get fucked over. The map grid coordinate I happen to be standing on at the time doesn't really factor into it. It's an American thing.

Once upon a time, this was a great nation because it was made up of people who weren't afraid to step up and do what's right. Americans didn't take shit off nobody.

YMMV...

I'll drink to that!  
Link Posted: 9/15/2007 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
...I guess when the time comes, it's up to each of us, LEO, or not, to do what we feel is right. For some, dialing 911 is enough. For others, we may feel the need to go a bit further. The situation will dictate the response.

YMMV...

While I understand and agree 100%, not everyone of your brotherhood feels the same way.  Some of us in the the civillian non-LEO sector are able and willing to suffer the consequenses to do what's right - no matter where on the grid we are, and despite the fact that HR218 doesn't apply to us.  Nationwide CCW reciprocity would go far to making that responsibility to do what's right a hell of a lot easier.

Not every sheepdog wears a badge.
Link Posted: 9/16/2007 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...I guess when the time comes, it's up to each of us, LEO, or not, to do what we feel is right. For some, dialing 911 is enough. For others, we may feel the need to go a bit further. The situation will dictate the response.

YMMV...

While I understand and agree 100%, not everyone of your brotherhood feels the same way.  Some of us in the the civillian non-LEO sector are able and willing to suffer the consequenses to do what's right - no matter where on the grid we are, and despite the fact that HR218 doesn't apply to us.  Nationwide CCW reciprocity would go far to making that responsibility to do what's right a hell of a lot easier.

Not every sheepdog wears a badge.

You'll get no argument from me.
It's OURcountry.
It's up to ALL of US to stand and represent when the time comes.
We're all in this shit together.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Made it to my new agency incident free. No badge yet, but I should have it in another week or two.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top