Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/8/2007 10:45:37 PM EDT
I'm thinking of getting a job at the local PD's range as the rangemaster.

What can you guys tell me about what they do based on your experiences with them?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They run the range

Every agency is different. Each one of the agencies in my area have different plans as to what the rangemaster does.

Did you ask for a job description?
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Our rangemaster just cuts the grass and keeps the range equipment clean and serviced.  For us, they have no instructor type responsibilities, we have range instructors for that role.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Our rangemaster just cuts the grass and keeps the range equipment clean and serviced.  For us, they have no instructor type responsibilities, we have range instructors for that role.

same here.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering that almost every outside agency class I have taken was taught by a non-commissioned person, I would say pretty good. These guys all had some LE and/or extensive military experience.

We used to have a civilian in charge, but they now have it as a commissioned position. We do have some civilians assigned to the range. They teach and do some of the armory work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 3:20:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Based on your experiences, how would you rate instructors specifically employed to train LEOs?  Did they really know their stuff?
Depends on where they got their training.  As an example the NRA, LE certified instructors can teach LE and civilian courses but not the other way around.  Our departments main source for certifying instructors is from the NRA.  I have been fortunate enough to go through the FBI and NTOA schools as well as the NRA.  I have also been to many other schools and some are better than others.  So basically, as I mentioned before, it depends on where they get their instructor certifications from and what type of training they have had.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
The Rangemaster at our police academy just handles maintenence duties. No safety or instruction role.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 5:48:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Ours have prior LE experience.

NRA Certified
FLETC trained
NTOA experience.

Responsible for upkeep, ammo, equipment, some training and logistics.  

Of course this is an over simplification.

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#9]
It doesn't look like I'm qualified for the job.  

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
By what we said or by the requirements from the agency??

Link Posted: 8/11/2007 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
The agency's requirements.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:24:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I thought most police firearms instructors and/or rangemasters were inhouse law enforcement. I would guess in the high 90% range.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top