Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2007 9:17:37 AM EDT
Small town, about 1400 people, they have a banner out infront of the station "now accepting applications for ____ ____ FD"

I looked it up online, but their web page is down I guess, so I'm going in in person to pick up an app, what should I wear so as not to afend them from the start?

I have some firefighting expeiriance from being a US Coast Guardsman, but that's it.

What will they generally require me to do, or already know?

If I get called for an interview, what should I wear? You all told a guy to wear a suit to a PD interview, is that true for FD also? I meen, this is a real small hick town we're talkin 'bout.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#1]
volunteer dept?
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
volunteer dept?

1400 I'm guessing VFD.

Just go in and talk to them.  Ask what they require and what training is needed.  I'd say downt go dressed like a guntotin Arfcommer but dont dress like a prissy boy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 12:38:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
volunteer dept?

They have both, there are full timers. In my area, you have a small town FD that serves a huge rural area around it, I'm amazed at the size of the building they have actually, it is about 200' by 60', must have 10 roll up doors on each side. Impressive.

I know volunteering would be a good "in", but I'm to late for that right now and they are hireing now.

I have a combination of LE and firefighting expieriance from the Coast Guard, mostly FF though. I have been on a physical training "journy" for almost 2 years now, then last month my dad suggested that I try out for the state police, wich I didn't really want, but I got jazzed about doing it for about 2 weeks, then he tells me the FD is hireing also. I'd rather be a FF, to be honest. I grew up with a lot of SoCal firefighters, I don't know why, but there were almost 50% living in my neighborhood, I always admired their shifts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2007 9:18:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
volunteer dept?

They have both, there are full timers. In my area, you have a small town FD that serves a huge rural area around it, I'm amazed at the size of the building they have actually, it is about 200' by 60', must have 10 roll up doors on each side. Impressive.

I know volunteering would be a good "in", but I'm to late for that right now and they are hireing now.

I have a combination of LE and firefighting expieriance from the Coast Guard, mostly FF though. I have been on a physical training "journy" for almost 2 years now, then last month my dad suggested that I try out for the state police, wich I didn't really want, but I got jazzed about doing it for about 2 weeks, then he tells me the FD is hireing also. I'd rather be a FF, to be honest. I grew up with a lot of SoCal firefighters, I don't know why, but there were almost 50% living in my neighborhood, I always admired their shifts.

If you are going in to apply for a job with a paid department, then you should wear a suit to the interview...and have a resume.

Likely doesn't matter what you wear just to go pick up the application...as long as you arent dressed like a sloppy bum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top