Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2007 6:58:36 PM EDT
Well, while it's not a true promotion in the sense of the word, I've been upgraded for when I return to work this summer. I was informed this evening that instead of working 3 nights of patrol at 10 hours a pop like last summer, I will be doing 5 nights of patrol at 8 hours a go.

Not bad for a lowly reserve officer such as myself, if I may say so!
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
so you are a reserve officer that plans on working forty hour work weeks for free and you are more excited about this than working thirty hour weeks?

How are you feeding yourself?

Please clarify how this is a good thing, like maybe you will get a paid full time job out of it soon, or you won the lottery and have tons of free time and no hobbies, ect.
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
so you are a reserve officer that plans on working forty hour work weeks for free and you are more excited about this than working thirty hour weeks?

Please clarify how this is a good thing, like maybe you will get a paid full time job out of it soon, or you won the lottery and have tons of free time and no hobbies, ect.

When did I ever say I was working for free?
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:51:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Apparently in Maine, reserves get paid.

A person that works 40 hours a week sounds more like an employee than a "reserve". As always, each state has its own laws.
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Apparently in Maine, reserves get paid.

A person that works 40 hours a week sounds more like an employee than a "reserve". As always, each state has its own laws.

Ah. I guess I should clarify. In Maine I guess reserve is the same as "Part-Time". You can do most of what full-time officers do, except for pretty obvious stuff like homicides, suicides, fatal car accidents, accidents with PI, rape, etc. The one major stipulation is that you cannot work more than 1040 hours in a year, which equates to exactly 26 40-hour work weeks. I won't be anywhere close to hitting that amount.

I didn't realize reserves didn't get paid elsewhere. I guess I'll just say Part-Time instead of reserve.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
In Virginia, reserve officers can be paid. They are in our department. But uncertified reserve officers are limited to 60 hours a YEAR, which isn't much at all... we mainly use our uncertified part timers for parades, extra event security, etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You are happy about 5/8s?

J/k... stay safe.

I'm just happy to be out there more!
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 11:47:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

J/k... stay safe.

well with that in mind, and with the clarification... CONGRATULATIoNS!

It sounds like a great gig! Are you planning on sticking with it and going full time?
Also, how hard is it to get hired full time in your neck of the woods?
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

J/k... stay safe.

well with that in mind, and with the clarification... CONGRATULATIoNS!

It sounds like a great gig! Are you planning on sticking with it and going full time?
Also, how hard is it to get hired full time in your neck of the woods?

It's a really good gig, I'm very lucky to have landed it. As most already know, reserves usually are called up for some extra security at special events and to wave some traffic through at some spots. Both the state I'm in and the department I'm with are perfect for me in these regards.

I don't plan on going full-time with this department. It's a good job for plenty of hours but I'm willing to bet that the full-timers here would be bored to tears with it. Not much on the criminal end (this is a good thing!) aside from some domestics, assaults, and property crimes. I end up doing a lot of traffic enforcement (which I happen to love doing ).

After I graduate from school in December I'll plan to go the full-time police academy and, if my efforts and dreams come true, get recruited by the State Police. If the SP doesn't take an interest (though I'll work my ass off to make sure they do!) then I'll find full-time work elsewhere in the state. My dream however is to be State Police, so I won't be satisfied until I get to put on that uniform!
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Which Dept you working for, one of the PD's along the beaches?  I had a lot of friends who were reserve officers in Old Orchard Beach, Kennebunk Port, Wells, etc during the Summer back in the 80's.
Link Posted: 4/13/2007 8:12:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Which Dept you working for, one of the PD's along the beaches?  I had a lot of friends who were reserve officers in Old Orchard Beach, Kennebunk Port, Wells, etc during the Summer back in the 80's.

No beach patrol for me . I will say that about 90% of my Reserve class at the Academy were being signed on for that though.
Link Posted: 4/14/2007 3:00:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

where the hello fuzzy do reserves not get paid??  99-100% of the places I've been all have paid reserves.  Pretty crappy gig if you can't get paid...  And I thought the full-time guys weren't gettin paid enough...
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:10:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Reserves dont get paid in my neck of the woods.  The only way they do is for special details like parades and etc.  Reserves just do it sause they must like it.  Got to hand it to them doing it for free, I give my respect.  Some officers like to kinda dog on em, but hey I wouldnt do the job for free.  I dont get paid enough the way it is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top