Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2006 7:26:01 PM EDT
So I am in the academy and we did patrol techniques this week.  The last scenario was a vehicle that you had to approach from the front.  I was talking to the guy and my partner (Another fellow recruit)  spotted the but of a 357 revolver and said "Weapon"  I was like oh man.  Well I talked the driver and when I told him to keep his hands on the steering wheel he did.  When I told him to get out of the vehicle he lowered his arm and if it would have been loaded I would have been shot today. SCARY.  Made me think.  He did give me a great piece of advice.  Treat everyone as if they are carrying a gun and also to be polite and professional on a traffic stop but be ready to kill anyone on the stop.  So I ask has anyone else got a wakeup call like that because from now on if I hear someone say gun or weapon I am drawing down.  Plus if I see one its not going to be I see you have a gun sir dont go for it, instead its going to be out of the holster.

DRUFF
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:32:40 PM EDT
[#1]
just remember the lesson and you'll be fine.

besides, what kills us isn't that we come across people with guns, it's that we get so used to coming across people with guns.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:51:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
just remember the lesson and you'll be fine.

besides, what kills us isn't that we come across people with guns, it's that we get so used to coming across people with guns.

Man speaks with wisdom

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
WATCH THOSE HANDS!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#4]
"Treat everyone you meet with respect...and have a plan to kill them."

My firearms instructor taught us that one...I will never forget it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:29:40 PM EDT
[#5]
You would not fit well as an officer in NE, we are required to have  our handguns in plain sight, I use the dashboard.

Not one NE officer has ever felt the need to draw down on me because he saw guns.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:22:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Two more things you'll run across ... Hands are not "in sight" when occupants are releasing seatbelts AND ... ALL your clear & concise verbal instructions are for crap if the occupant don't speak English. Not that you'll run across THAT much !

Stay safe
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:19:04 AM EDT
[#7]

"Treat everyone you meet with respect...and have a plan to kill them."

I learned that one too. Very good advice. Especially if you add "immediately" to the end.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The more you bleed in training the less you bleed in battle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 2:47:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Just curious, but was the weapon on the driver's person or in plain view on the seat or something?  I guess it depends on what state your in but out here in Wyoming everybody can have a weapon in the vehicle, excluding felons.  If it's on their person then they need a CCW.  Other than that, seeing a weapon out here would not surprise me a bit and I would not feel the need to immediately unholster.  If I felt that uncomfortable about the weapon I would call for cover/back-up.

Anyway, my thoughts/opinions.  Good luck with the academy!!!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You would not fit well as an officer in NE, we are required to have  our handguns in plain sight, I use the dashboard.

Not one NE officer has ever felt the need to draw down on me because he saw guns.

No not when its in plain sight WHEN SOMEONE IS HIDING IT UNDER THEIR LAP BECAUSE THEY WANNA SHOOT YOU.

DRUFF
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Just curious, but was the weapon on the driver's person or in plain view on the seat or something?  I guess it depends on what state your in but out here in Wyoming everybody can have a weapon in the vehicle, excluding felons.  If it's on their person then they need a CCW.  Other than that, seeing a weapon out here would not surprise me a bit and I would not feel the need to immediately unholster.  If I felt that uncomfortable about the weapon I would call for cover/back-up.

Anyway, my thoughts/opinions.  Good luck with the academy!!!

it was hidden under his right thigh

DRUFF
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Be ready for anything but remember that just because someone is armed does not mean you have a shoot situation.  Years ago I stopped a van at night for traffic and did not suspect a thing.  As I got to the tinted windows I was shocked to see lots of weapons and some bad looking dudes.  Turned out I stopped a alphabet type anti-drug agency van that was full of jump out guys in plain cloths.  They had just badges on their necks.  

Looking back on it I guess I was calm because if they were bad guys I would have been dead right there.  Here in IL only LEOs have CCW.    I carry off duty but am very concerned about being spotted.  IMHO some LEOs here in IL may be quick to fire on an armed person since we have no CCW and just being armed may be seen as a lethal threat.  

Anyone read in COP magazine about the blue on blue shootings?  Scary shi$ there.  

Edit:  Just reread this.  If the guy is makng attempts to hide a weapon.  Its time to get gun out, seek cover, and get ready because noone who legally carries does that kind of stuff.  Mentally preparing yourself to actually shoot another human being should have already been done.  Read "On Killing".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top